Thread: cuckoo clocks and repairs?

cuckoo clocks and repairs?

Does any one work on these clocks, for fun or profit? I am looking for books to read on repairs. Any suggestions?

I stumbled into this hobby by accident a few weeks ago. Found an old clock I had forgot about. The 'shop' wanted an 'estimated' $250 to fix it. It isn't an antique and had no sentimental value, so I tore into it. The best way to describe a cuckoo clock's workings would be 'complicatingly simple'!

I did fix it, (re-thread the chains, replaced bellows, replaced trip wires, replaced the hands, fixed the cuckoo's beak) and now I am hooked! I want to read up on the subject.

Thanks!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Thanks for reminding me. My deceased father-in-law gave my wife a little one years ago that I need to get going again. I found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Cuckoo-C...item5661d1ccad
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

If you are anticipating doing other "movement" clocks as well, check on these sources:

Klockit - up in that frozen tundra, Michigan, and

Emperor Clocks - both have web sites.

I have built wood clocks (not cuckoo's though) for many years. I have used both of these for sources - parts and kits.
    Last edited by jimmylee; 03-01-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Thumbs up Just Ask!

Another outstanding example of member to member support! Way to go People!
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    If you are anticipating doing other "movement" clocks as well, check on these sources:

Klockit - up in that frozen tundra, Michigan, and

Emperor Clocks - both have web sites.

I have built wood clocks (not cuckoo's though) for many years. I have used both of these for sources - parts and kits.
    Thanks for the tip on Emperor Clocks. I got a Grandfather clock kit from them in 1973 (pure walnut). After I ordered the kit, they offered to assemble and refinish it for me for $69. The delivered cost of the finished clock was $253.00 (kit is now $989 in Adler and Oak). I suspect they had excess inventory of finished clocks. They were located in Fairhope, Alabama and I found out they were no longer there. I thought they had gone out of business. I was happy to learn they relocated to Amherst, Va. and are still in the clock business. http://www.emperorclock.com/index.php
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.