Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Michigan South to North

Quote Originally Posted by Roc-Roc View Post
    I see Non-Michigan resident have to purchase an annual($31.10) pass or daily pass($8.55) for your vehicle to enter state parks and state forest campgrounds This cost do not include camping cost for state parks or state forest campgrounds.
    Correct. This has been a disappointment to some out of state visitors to Michigan. As a general rule the state parks are very nice, well maintained and in some beautiful locations. But paying either a daily access fee or having to buy an annual pass, in addition to paying the daily camping fee, rubs some people the wrong way. I do the same as MUNMI: I purchase a Recreation Passport for every vehicle when I renew the plates. Sometimes we're on the bike and just want access to a state park, sometimes we're in the motorhome and plan to camp for a while.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Correct. This has been a disappointment to some out of state visitors to Michigan. As a general rule the state parks are very nice, well maintained and in some beautiful locations. But paying either a daily access fee or having to buy an annual pass, in addition to paying the daily camping fee, rubs some people the wrong way. I do the same as MUNMI: I purchase a Recreation Passport for every vehicle when I renew the plates. Sometimes we're on the bike and just want access to a state park, sometimes we're in the motorhome and plan to camp for a while.
    Daily or annual fees are becoming common in many states and provinces, even for residents. My wife and I have taken long, unscheduled (cage) trips the past two years to the west coast and passed up quite few parks we would have liked to at least look at, rather than pay fees. We ended up passing through those states a bit quicker than anticipated, saving food and lodging costs (aka state revenue).
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Glenfiddich I live on M-37 just 2 miles south of M-55. There is a great private campground right by my house that is incredibly clean, and welcomes motorcycles as well as dogs!

If you would like to talk about riding or camping in the area, PM me and I will give you my cell number.

I may be going to MN too.
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

Dogs at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore

There are some beaches where dogs are permitted along the national lakeshore. See http://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/pets.htm. The beaches are really nice.

Following Lake Michigan north of Manistee is a good bet. Follow M-22 around the Leelanau Peninsula is nice, with good places to stop along the way. North of Traverse City, follow US31 north along the shore to the Mackinaw Bridge. Check out Legs Inn in Cross Village for lunch if the timing works out. It's a little out of the way but worth the trip. See http://legsinn.com. After crossing to the UP there is a nice national forest campground on US-2 right along Lake Michigan. There are also nice campgrounds, beaches, restaurants, etc, near Grand Marais, Marquette, Houghton, and Ontanagon as you follow Lake Superior to the west, or follow Lake Michigan through Escanaba to Menominee to save some miles.

In Wisconsin, Highway 70 is one of my favorite roads, with lots of smooth curvy roads without much traffic and nice small towns. Then head west to the Mississipi and follow it down to St. Paul.

Have fun. I may see you along the way as I head north from the Leelanau Peninsula.

John
    John Peck
    Maple City, Michigan
    R1150R
    F650GS

My friend and I just tried to camp in Grand Haven, MI.
    two bikes, one campsite.
    $9/day access fee per bike
    $27 for the campsite

alright, that worked out to $45- until they informed us that we needed to pay two access fees per bike- one for the entrance day, one for the exit day. So suddenly we're up to $63 for the night.
    Went down the road and camped at the hotel for $70, and got hot water and pavement to park on.

Highway 58 from grand Marais to Munising is absolutely beautiful. I think the Dune Road along the shore from Copper Harbor south is worth an awfully big detour, too. 41 into copper harbor has its moments, but 26 is an incredible technical pile of twists.

Quote Originally Posted by jpeck View Post
    "Following Lake Michigan north of Manistee is a good bet. Follow M-22 around the Leelanau Peninsula is nice, with good places to stop along the way. North of Traverse City, follow US31 north along the shore to the Mackinaw Bridge. "
    John
    Don't forget 119, the tunnel of Trees. It's at 31 and Petoskey. That was in my top few roads of our trip. Absolutely gorgeous.

Hear that ticking sound? jnerges's Avatar
    I came to the same conclusion about heading into Canada and west to St. Paul. That light bulb came on last night about 11 PM. I will be leaving from the Oberlin, Ohio area Monday morning. I would consider putting 100 or 200 miles in on Sunday evening. I have a lovely aunt to visit. If anybody wants company in that time frame, just say the word. Camping sounds great. Any weather, temperature, varmit, bug advice would be appreciated. I hope that see that handsome pooch in the side car on the road.

This is a first draft of my route in case anybody wants company. I will leave Oberlin, OH Sunday afternoon/ evening. Does anybody have campsite recommendations. Look forward to seeing you all in St. Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

TravelsWithBarley.com
    John - If you have the time I'd suggest following the southern shore of Lake Superior at least as far as the Keweenaw (sp?) Peninsula. Take 41 till you can cut over on 26 along the north shore to Copper Harbor. Have lunch at The Gay Bar (Gay, MI) on the way back. I'll be continuing west to Bayfield WI which has a very nice little community campground on the shore, then following the coastline a bit further to Cornucopia before turning south at Herbster and taking very rural roads down to Stillwater.

You'll meet some incredibly nice people in Wisconsin the route you show, but it's not much for scenery. Also, because I travel with a dog, I hug the lakes as long as possible so he (okay, we) can take refreshing dips when the humuggity is bothersome. Few lakes can help you shed excess body heat as quickly as Superior!

Nuther thought...in southern MI why not go west a tad and avoid the chaos of Detroit and Lansing, then angle either right or left to ride the shoreline of either Lake Huron or Michigan?
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    John - If you have the time I'd suggest following the southern shore of Lake Superior at least as far as the Keweenaw (sp?) Peninsula. Take 41 till you can cut over on 26 along the north shore to Copper Harbor. Have lunch at The Gay Bar (Gay, MI) on the way back. I'll be continuing west to Bayfield WI which has a very nice little community campground on the shore, then following the coastline a bit further to Cornucopia before turning south at Herbster and taking very rural roads down to Stillwater.
    glenfiddich, I'll be following your advice after I run up M22 and 119. I do hope to cut down to the Driftless area unless we head over to Duluth.

All, I am running from my start to somewhere near Cadillac, MI. Any recommendations on where to stay. Only requirements are clean accommodations a good place to eat nearby. Walking distance for great eats is a bonus after being on the road all day.

-Dennis
    2013 BMW K1600GT - Montego Blue Metallic
    2007 BMW K1200GT - Graphite (traded)
    2004 R1150RS - Pacific Blue (sold )
    Dennis BMWMOA 150423 FingerLakes BMW Club 396 IBA 50178

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Dennis - Michigan has an awesome tourism website. Google PureMichigan - I can't remember if it's .com or .org - and look up Cadillac. Saturday the 19th we'll be camping just to the west of there, Kestelwoods campground is near where 37 and 55 cross. Sunday we'll hit the coast by Manistee early, then do 22/119 up to the Mighty Mac. We'll hotel it that night in St Ignace (after three days camping I need to reduce the personal stench factor or Barley won't sleep with me). Then up to Paradise and hugging the coastline to Wisconsin. Wave if you see us.

We'll catch the Driftless on the way home.

Pete
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

The MI meander...

.... Sun 7/20th.. Arriving same general area, somewhere between Cadillac & Petoskey. Flight of 3. Looking at that campground "godfather" mentioned
    ...it must be Kestelswood Campground?? ; but there is a KOA 23mi north, near Buckley. And there is a town park up in Petoskey.
    We're taking the north route around Superior; arriving MOA Wednesday afternoon. Camping near Wawa & Thunder Bay....
    OR Marathon & Grand Marais, MN... depending on progress.
    Will catch the south segment after rally enroute to Oshkosh/EAA show.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

"travel'n" john
    13' R1200RT
    Last edited by flyhi2cfar; 07-14-2014 at 02:00 AM.

Kesselwood campground is about a mile south of M 55 on M 37. There is a campground just before you get to Mesick on a lake, I think it's called Hodenpyle dam pond. The KOA is just north of Buckley. There is a state park in Traverse City but it is very busy this time of the year, in fact you may want to stop early or call ahead as our campgrounds fill up fast this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post

You'll meet some incredibly nice people in Wisconsin the route you show, but it's not much for scenery. Also, because I travel with a dog, I hug the lakes as long as possible so he (okay, we) can take refreshing dips when the humuggity is bothersome. Few lakes can help you shed excess body heat as quickly as Superior!

Nuther thought...in southern MI why not go west a tad and avoid the chaos of Detroit and Lansing, then angle either right or left to ride the shoreline of either Lake Huron or Michigan?
    This is a great suggestion, Thank you. My route is the general direction according to Google Maps. Now that the GPS is up and running, it should be a little easier to venture. The Southern Route of Lake Superior sounds great.

M-26 in Keweenaw Peninsula in UP of MI

Quote Originally Posted by nate.miller View Post
    ..... but 26 is an incredible technical pile of twists.
    .....and awesome views of big Lake Superior
    Scott
    2004 K1200LT
    Munising,Michigan
    www.smitchellphotography.com