Thread: Michigan South to North

Hybrid View

TravelsWithBarley.com

Michigan South to North

In July Barley and I will be taking the sidecar from VT to the rally in St Paul. It's our chance to see more of Michigan, including the eastern part of the UP that we missed last time we were in the neighborhood. But I need some advice for the trip from the OH border to the Mac. I'm hoping to avoid cities and traffic, and see a mix of forest and coastline. Here's what I'm thinking...

127 from the OH border north to Hudson, then northwest on 34 and 99 passing to the east of Battle Creek and Grand Rapids. North of Grand Rapids we'll head west to 37, then north to 55 which we'll take to the coast at Manistee. Up the coast a bit, then east to Traverse City and up to Petosky. I was thinking of avoiding Sleeping Bear Dunes because public beaches are not the most dog-friendly places and Barley can't see a body of water without wanting to jump in and paddle around.

Any advice? Also looking for decent campgrounds along the way.

'07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Your proposed route through lower Michigan is good, but I am going to suggest some details. When you get to Manistee, follow M22 which is one of the most beautiful rides in all of Michigan (at least lower Michigan) The views over Lake Michigan are stunning. Continuing north to Frankfort, stop at Point Betsie Lighthouse which is one of the most popular of the hundreds of lights around Michigan. M22 goes all the way up to Leelanau Peninsula, then back down to Traverse City. At Traverse City, pick up US 31 to Petoskey. On the north side of Petoskey is the Tunnel of Trees, M119. The ride through Tunnel of Trees is not complete without a stop at Legg's Inn in Cross Village. Fun, old restaurant. From Cross Village, there are numerous routes one could take get to the Big Mac Bridge. Once in the UP, AKA God's Country, you can follow whichever lakeshore you desire. Personally, I prefer Lake Superior as it offers most scenic rides and generally less traffic.

For detailed ride maps of the UP of Michigan, see www.upcruising.com You can order a guide from them. The new 2014 were delivered about 10 days ago.
    Scott
    2004 K1200LT
    Munising,Michigan
    www.smitchellphotography.com

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Thanks, Scott. I traced it out on the map and it looks awfully good!

We went over Superior enroute to the RA Rally at Chippewa Falls. The plan was to wrap around the southern shoreline all the way to Paradise, then drop down to US2 and on to the rally. The problem was we were having such a great time we never made it further east than L'Anse. This trip will fill that gap. Appreciate the advice.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Having spent allot of time & travels in Michigan I agree with all Scott's advise.

As far as Sleepy Bear Dunes ...it is about a 300 foot climb to the top before ya see water...and I really hope Barley wouldn't jump in...cause from the top down to water is about 300 feet or more...

Lived near there for a time..[Honor]..it is a beautiful area.

Scott nailed it for you! There's some beautiful riding and lots of neat little towns along the way. And if you have never ridden M-22 or M-119 they are worth it. I also agree that riding along the southern shore Lake Superior is a nicer ride than the north shore of Lake Michigan. If you have the time, spend some time visiting the Pictured Rocks National Seashore in Munising, stopping along the way at the Hilltop Cafe in Lanse for a cinnamon roll (and you better be hungry).
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Scott nailed it for you! There's some beautiful riding and lots of neat little towns along the way. And if you have never ridden M-22 or M-119 they are worth it. I also agree that riding along the southern shore Lake Superior is a nicer ride than the north shore of Lake Michigan. If you have the time, spend some time visiting the Pictured Rocks National Seashore in Munising, stopping along the way at the Hilltop Cafe in Lanse for a cinnamon roll (and you better be hungry).

Dat's da truth...I've had one of those cinnamon rolls......yum,yum