Thread: R 100GS oil cooler,

R 100GS oil cooler,

My cooler started leaking on the lower right corner and I can't figure out if it is the cooler or the hose or the fitting in between.
    Has anyone have experience with this issue ?

Quote Originally Posted by 116681 View Post
    My cooler started leaking on the lower right corner and I can't figure out if it is the cooler or the hose or the fitting in between.
    Has anyone have experience with this issue ?
    Welcome to the forum! I moved your post into a thread of it's own so you would have a better chance of response. When you get a chance, you can either edit your post or post again with some more info on your bike such as the year and anything else (perhaps a picture) that may help. Good luck, Gary
    PS, watch your notification box- upper right.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Welcome to the forum! For an oil leak, the best thing to do is to clean things up well, then blow some baby powder over the area. Then go for a ride and stop frequently to see where the oil stains are starting from. That will help you figure out what needs to be looked at.

BTW...has this been doing this a long time or have you done some maintenance lately? If the latter, then you'll need to investigate the steps you took during the maintenance.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

If you still have the oil cooler mounted on the right crash bar and you dropped the bike on that side there's a good chance you smashed the oil cooler. Happened to me (damn-it)!

/Guenther

Oil cooler leak.

Never heard of the baby powder idea ,that sounds like a good one I should try that.
    No dropping the bike before the leak started , it is 1992 Bumblebee with 23,000 miles on it , I pick it up a year ago last December and rode about 3,000 miles since, No mechanical work on it recently in the cooler area.
    It looks like the prior owner may have a some issues before , the cooler and the crash bar look like they have had a coat of rattle can paint ! the little grill in front of the cooler had been glue together with what looks like Gorilla glue before painting ??

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    It sounds like the PO may have dropped it and "repaired" the damage. Thorough cleaning and the baby powder after as suggested will tell the tale. It doesn't take much to get a leak in those exposed oil coolers. Good news is they are easily repaired by a good rad shop if need be.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Smile The Baby Powder tip is just BRILLIANT.

Yesterday I clean the bike up very good using engine cleaner on the oil cooler and right cylinder , this morning the bike is all dry so I took a baby's nose syringe and baby powder , sprayed the cooler and its hose connection with baby powder, went for a short ride.
    After a couple miles I look down and saw a few oil splatters so I stop in a parking lot to check it out and I was really surprise by what I saw,no oil on the cooler a little bit on the hose nut and some on the valve rockers'cover .
    So here we are the leak is not from the cooler but from a valve cover broken gasket and at higher RPM it would spray oil on the lower right corner of the cooler.
    Thank you 20774 I am very glad to have it figured out.
    J-C
    Last edited by 116681; 12-29-2013 at 07:11 PM.