Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Odd Battery problem - does a get off affect the brain?

Quote Originally Posted by rapiddog View Post
    Yep, so cal, but high desert. We have gotten some cold mornings here.
    Now using Rotella Full Synth 5/40W.

Any correlation between temp and slow cranking? Cold will reduce the capacity of the battery, and cold will make the engine harder to turn over. Combine both with a possibly not up to snuff battery and you might get the symptoms you've described. Your oil certainly looks suitable for cold mornings.

Also - the BMSK does "adapt" - and it's possible something is Kevorked in the adaptation. The GS-911 has a function to clear adaptations - it's fixed some odd ball problems like hard starting and high idle on start.. but I don't think it can cause the starter to turn the engine over slower than normal.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by rapiddog View Post
    Yep, so cal, but high desert. We have gotten some cold mornings here.
    Now using Rotella Full Synth 5/40W.
    I lived in Alaska for 16 years, but one of the coldest nights I ever spent was in the high desert of southern California. Fort Irwin, February, 28 degrees, snowing, soaking wet and hiding in the rocks like a lizard. We medivaced 60 soldiers and had one cardiac arrest from hypothermia.

Good luck resolving the hard starting issue.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Seems like I've read alot of about hard starting R1200 series bikes, needing throttle to start, etc.
    Up til now all I ever did was turn the key, watch the sweep, and press the starter...one or two revs and it set into idle nicely.
    We're getting a rash of similar symtoms over at ADV too..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post23503506
    "...the burble of my exhaust unwound like a long cord behind me. Soon my speed snapped it, and I heard only the cry of the wind...." Larry of Arubia

Your experiences are about the same as mine. (2012 R1200R) When the bike was almost new and had less than 2K on it, I took it to New Mexico for the Sipapu rally. In Taos, where it was probably 50+ at night, I though at times my bike would not start. I pulled the battery when I got back and took it to BMW for testing, it tested just fine. The bike always starts, but it also takes a bit of gas to get it going. Each few years BMW bumps the displacement up and the battery size down, so I think this is what we have to live with. I have my battery on the BMW canbus charger all the time that I am not riding.

Wayne

I keep mine on the OPTIMATE 4 if I don't ride it for more than a week. My battery is new, 230+CCA, so I doubt that's a issue.

"...the burble of my exhaust unwound like a long cord behind me. Soon my speed snapped it, and I heard only the cry of the wind...." Larry of Arubia

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    My R1200R would occasionally just barely start with the original battery. Had the dealer check it twice. First time they said tested fine, but was low on charge. Made no sense since I ride 100 to 150 miles a week. The second time it tested the same but they decided to replace it anyway under warranty. They did find one lug was a tiny bit loose which could explain the low charge, but I doubt it. They replacement battery has worked just fine for 2.5 years.

The R1200s strain the little batteries they use, and some batteries are just better than others.
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Battery issue

I've been boating up the inside passage for 25 yrs. Now I'm shore based on my GS or RT. As such I rely on batteries and found that batteries do go bad. They charge fine but drain quickly with even a little load. Like any manufactured product there are a few bad ones. After reading this thread I'm convinced it's a battery issue. Unless you've tinkered too much with your wiring, or have submerged your bike then it could be a separate issue. Remember electronics require good stable voltages.
    -don
    "If you don't treat yourself right, no one else will."
    '06 R1200RT, '13 F800GS, '10 G650GS (wife's), and '04 R1150RT (wife's)

Exclamation Still crazy

O.K., since my first post I'm still getting weirdness.
    The same slow turnover intermittently.

Since I've semi-decided to sell the bike (for financial reasons only) I've completely put the bike back to stock.I pulled all my farkle wiring out, and it's totally OEM.
    Even with all the electronics gone and the new battery which is on the OPTIMATE 4 charger all the time, this slow turnover comes and goes for no particular reason, engine hot or cold.

I took it to the dealer and had the codes read. It did show that at one time it had "Horn malfunction - open circuit" and "Low battery etc".
    Well all that's gone. Back to the stock horn, and the battery is tested and at full amperage.

I haven't pulled the starter (yet) but I haven't read any threads concerning bad starters on these bikes.

This is some odd and freeky shizza...