Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Transport Canada and BMW issued a recall on multiple models

It will be very interesting to see how BMW responds to the Canadian Recall Dilemma. They could initiate a voluntary recall in the states. They could tell us to come to the dealership for a scheduled fix and drink some coffee while they show us the new models and discuss the low finance rates. Or, they can do the same thing they have done regarding other issues and pretend the problem does not exist and hope it will go away. It will be very interesting to see which path they take.

It will also be interesting to see what NHTSA does. I don't know how NHTSA can avoid doing the same as Canada. If I were BMW, I would beat NHTSA to the draw, announce a voluntary recall and start brewing some coffee.

E.
    Last edited by easy; 12-26-2013 at 02:36 AM.

Purely from an observational perspective, Transport Canad/BMW recalls appear to be beta tests for how BMW will manage recalls in the US then the EU. In crude terms the US market has been about 9-10 times that of the Canadian and in tern the EU as a whole about 7 times the size of the US. For large recalls Transport Canada and BMW Canada seem to be doing the beta leg work for how to roll these large recalls out of late.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

This must be an oil thread in disguise ...

Thinking of vehicle engineering FUBAR's, anybody here remember the venerable Corvair, "Unsafe at any speed" ??? Still a few around in good condition. There is even a turbo version locally that is beautiful.

The Challenger comment is a good point. What the problem resolved itself to was that the NASA program managers were so pushed on deadlines for launch that they ignored specific warnings of Thiokol engineers that they had no data for O-Ring performance at the temperature encountered, and at least one engineer there refused to sign the launch recommendation. Richard Feynman vindicated his judgment.

I have to wonder if there is a bit of that going on at BMW for some of their issues. Production deadlines and management pressure can be a very powerful lever on the situation at times.

All that said, I love my RT, and I never had any problem with the R1200R (2007) fuel strip, or final drive, and so far no fuel ring issues on the RT.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Excellent point. Just because you can build a more complex motorcycle doesn't necessarily mean you should.

That's a lesson that BMW will likely never learn, as they have swapped reliability for technological complexity.
    Boy, do you not get it!

Germany is the world leader of the automotive industry and its mission is indeed the cutting edge.

Good to get the notion, too, that if something like ABS or traction control exists, society today will find you liable when you fail to include it on your motorcycles.

No, "nostalgia" designs lead to bankruptcy like GM and Chrysler. The 1950s are over, and that's good.

As for the fuel pump, I 'd speculate BMW's spec to the supplier was output and weight and size and not much more ... surely not materials.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Ikchris--I agree fully with your thoughts on BMW's inputs on the pump design. Very common for an OEM to rely on a component supplier's expertise and only provide interface dimensions and performance requirements. The supplier would submit design intent articles on which the OEM would verify dimenstions and do the performance testing. The performance testing would be spelled out in advance with a test spec.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Boy, do you not get it!

Germany is the world leader of the automotive industry and its mission is indeed the cutting edge.

Good to get the notion, too, that if something like ABS or traction control exists, society today will find you liable when you fail to include it on your motorcycles.

No, "nostalgia" designs lead to bankruptcy like GM and Chrysler. The 1950s are over, and that's good.

As for the fuel pump, I 'd speculate BMW's spec to the supplier was output and weight and size and not much more ... surely not materials.
    I always smile at your retorts Kent - breaks up a winter's monotony.

But you're draining the world's supply of Kool-Aid dangerously low.

Happy Holidays and enjoy your warm clime.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by swall View Post
    Ikchris--I agree fully with your thoughts on BMW's inputs on the pump design..........
    I think you're missing the most important parameter of a modern day RFP: product Cost.

Quote Originally Posted by dpspeer View Post
    I think you're missing the most important parameter of a modern day RFP: product Cost.
    Welcome to the forum!
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Thread closed at OP's request.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche