Thread: Battery powered heating clothing?

Battery powered heating clothing?

Can anyone recommend a quality product that keeps you warm in cool weather that is battery powered?

The Gerbing that I plug into the bike and ATV can be run with the accessory battery pack that they sell and should work fine. The length of time you get out of it you would need to experiment with as the warmer you want it the bigger drain on the battery.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

My wife has a pair of Gerbing Hybrid gloves, along with two sets of batteries. While they do not get as hot when using them with batteries as they do plugged directly to the bike, they do indeed work. After running out of charge while riding a friend's bike, which lacked direct wiring, we purchased the extra set of batteries.

My wife has a Mobile Warming vest. I've used it on the bike and it puts out a good amount of heat. Was too warm actually under a Tourmaster Transition 2 with its liner. I turned it off at 50 degrees and I was still too warm. Had to open jacket vents and unzip the front a bit. Not made for day long rides nor for someone who tours during winter. Perfect for a winter commuter. Wired liners are a PITA. I just bought Gerbing and while warmer still than MW vest, I hated running the wires and plugging/unplugging.

I have a Gerbings jacket liner and a Mobile warming jacket. I bought the Mobile Warming jacket after I got the Gerbings because I liked the idea of not being "wired to the bike" like with the Gerbings.
    The Mobile Warming jacket does not have wiring in the sleeves, so I should have saved some money and gotten the vest. Also, the rechargeable standard battery that comes with the jacket will only operate at 100%
    power for about 3 hours. At the minimum power setting of 25 %, I think it's good for about 10 hours. Depending on the amount of wind protection the bike you are riding provides and how cold tolerant you
    are, this liner might not last you for more than 3 or 4 hours, which is okay for commuter riding. I have found that for me the minimum power setting requirement is 50 % which seems to be good for about 5 hours.

I found that the Gerbings liner worked better overall and now I rarely use the Mobile Warming jacket liner. To me the Mobile Warming jacket would be great for any outdoor sporting event in cold weather where
    3-4 hours of heat would be all that is needed.

Got a pair of Gerbing battery powered gloves. Not suitable for m/c riding (do not get hot enough for long enough to last thru any but the briefest ride), but they work great for about an hour on the snow plow!
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

I don't think a non-bike source battery pack would work for me at all. To town and back is over a two hour ride. When we travel it is usually a day-long ride with gas stops about three hours apart.

Being "hooked up" isn't much of a bother when I ride this way. In town, store to store, the speeds are generally low enough and stops frequent enough I just don't plug in.

I use either my Gerbings or WarmNSafe mostly on cold/cool mornings when traveling. At home I normally wait till it warms up.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Another warm and safe fan here, quality product and an owner who stand behind his product.

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar
    I have a warm n safe jacket, gloves & dual controller that plugs into the accessory port. Works great & plugging in or unplugging is no big deal.
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."

I like my mobile warming jacket. As to the battery life, I bought an extra battery.
    J.D.
    1985 K100RT (my first BMW, felled by a tree)
    2003 K1200LT

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    I ventured into the battery powered world this winter fir skiing, with a pair of gloves. The 12v option is impracticable for that activity. Yes for skiing they are fine, but NO where near as much heat as a set of Gerbings gloves, and limited battery life, might make them suitable for short rides in moderate temps, but throw in rain, or sub 45 temps, and I think they would not keep my fingers warm.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by JD Hilton View Post
    I like my mobile warming jacket. As to the battery life, I bought an extra battery.
    Questions: How long does a battery last before it needs to be recharged? Can the extra battery be charged on the bike while riding so on long day you can swap/charge batteries while going down the road?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I just recently read on the Warm&Safe site that they have a new heated shirt. If I read it right you can use either the battery it comes with or plug it into the bike. Being able to use either power source as the situation warrants sounds pretty good.

Someone buy one and give us a report on it
    Tom
    Salem Or.
    '93 K1100LT w/Bushtec
    '03 F650CS '09 F650GS

heated gear is a good choice this year

The weather continues to be cool in Michigan. I have a powerlet rapidfire liner with a dual remote control. (on sale at revzilla) Add hot hands and hot toes and it makes cool days enjoyable.

Heated grips are quite nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Questions: How long does a battery last before it needs to be recharged? Can the extra battery be charged on the bike while riding so on long day you can swap/charge batteries while going down the road?
    I have only used it on low for 3 hours, when I got homeand put it on the charger it was at 75%. Don't know about switching batteries while riding.
    J.D.
    1985 K100RT (my first BMW, felled by a tree)
    2003 K1200LT