Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: BRAND NEW R90S Build by MAXBMW !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Six parts were not available new: swingarm, rear brake lever, rear brake linkage arm, tach drive gear (they substituted an electronic tach from a newer model since Motometer is no longer in business), tach drive washer, right fork slider
    Brake linkage arm I know about; I've tried to get one! Max sells a repro but it's pricey.
    I don't know what the difference is between a /6 fork leg and a /7 fork leg (which an R100S is); sounds like a logical substitution to me. Could be the fender mounting?
    Tach; I think going with the electronic tach is another fine substitution. Takes care of the gear, washer and instrument in one fell swoop.
    Brake arm, OK.
    That list doesn't mention the instrument housing itself, which I understand is NLA.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

If the registration year, in New Hampshire, is determined in a similar manner as here in California, I guess my question would be who would want a 2013 BMW 90s. I mean, I WOULD, because having a virtually new, reliable, R90S would be a total gas. But I would think that it's value as a "vintage" vehicle would be significantly compromised. But maybe this isn't an issue, if the machine isn't for sale.

In essence, can't the "year" be pretty much whatever Max chooses?

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Brake linkage arm I know about; I've tried to get one! Max sells a repro but it's pricey.
    I don't know what the difference is between a /6 fork leg and a /7 fork leg (which an R100S is); sounds like a logical substitution to me. Could be the fender mounting?
    Tach; I think going with the electronic tach is another fine substitution. Takes care of the gear, washer and instrument in one fell swoop.
    Brake arm, OK.
    That list doesn't mention the instrument housing itself, which I understand is NLA.
    Just repeating what I thought they said near the end of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty4ro...fMU9QUUdUpMhaw

I know nothing about Airheads. K75Ss are my thing.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Not Daytona Orange?!
    Geh!!!!

Cowboyatheart

Registration

Craig at maxbmw replied to my registration question.

Answer: "1990 new. Crazy huh?"
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

The "north" of $46,000 for parts...dealer cost or retail? Because the R90S crankshaft list for $1,963.00, flywheel $461.00, camshaft $461.00, short block $2,819.00 and fuel tank (primed only) $1,193.00. So add the frame that's $2,173.55 and $1,600 for the wheels and $1,346 for rear drive...now at $12,016 for 8 parts with over 1,600 more parts to go...Say we got 4 days in labor (not counting the hours involved in actually ordering parts)...going with two techs at $90.00 an hour each times the 64 tech hours equals $5,760.00 labor and of course estimated misc. shop supplies at $2,600.00 (5%). All said with tongue-in-cheek, but I do wonder what a project like this would cost if one wanted to take it on as a private individual? Plus now you'd need to find a good painter since there's no more painted parts in the pipeline. Did enjoy the project and ability it showed.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    The "north" of $46,000 for parts...dealer cost or retail?
    We don't know whether Max meant retail list cost of the parts, or their dealer cost. In any event, all the costs, including labour, will be inside their corporation, i.e. pre-tax, and it may be that I.R.S. rules also allow these costs to be deducted from their gross profits, which would result in a cost reduction.

I wonder what a project like this would cost...
    It would be interesting to know Max's net cost, as their accountants would book it, and also, the cost to an individual (although the question of an individual building something like this is admittedly academic).
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    We don't know whether Max meant retail list cost of the parts, or their dealer cost. In any event, all the costs, including labour, will be inside their corporation, i.e. pre-tax, and it may be that I.R.S. rules also allow these costs to be deducted from their gross profits, which would result in a cost reduction.

It would be interesting to know Max's net cost, as their accountants would book it, and also, the cost to an individual (although the question of an individual building something like this is admittedly academic).
    Yes, mostly academic Rinty, I agree. However, should I ever win a Mega Lottery, say in the net $135,000,000 area...I might consider doing a build like this for "fun"! LOL...
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

The "north" of $46,000 for parts...dealer cost or retail? Because the R90S crankshaft list for $1,963.00, flywheel $461.00, camshaft $461.00, short block $2,819.00 and fuel tank (primed only) $1,193.00. So add the frame that's $2,173.55 and $1,600 for the wheels and $1,346 for rear drive...now at $12,016 for 8 parts ...
    A short block includes the crank and some other stuff, so you're double-dipping a bit.

OTOH the exhaust system is well over $1000 and the forks are about $1000 per side, and there's still the transmission so the expensive items aren't over yet.

All that said, I'm guessing the $46k was retail.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

I'd agree the $46,000 was retail. I dont think MAX would want to advertise their cost for a couple reasons. #1 people would feel like MAX was thumbing their nose at the regular people, who couldn't build it "wholesale", and its a bigger bang, a bigger, more expensive deal at retail.

I would also guess that it couldn't be called a 2013, as a vehicle built with "old" parts couldn't meet 2013 safety and EPA regulations.

...should I ever win a Mega Lottery, say in the net $135,000,000 area...I might consider doing a build like this for "fun"! LOL...
    With a number that large, you wouldn't have to think twice about doing it.

But the interesting question for me, is what would a high net worth collector do with, say $100,000? Is he going to build a brand new R90S, or would he put the money towards acquiring something like an R37?
    Last edited by RINTY; 12-23-2013 at 03:34 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Devils advocate helmet on for a moment.

You win $XXX million in a lottery...the sponsoring agencies made Y x $XXX dollars running it.

What model would you have the BMW MOA contract MAX to build so that it could raffle off a new ____ and make a buck for the association?
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    Devils advocate helmet on for a moment.

You win $XXX million in a lottery...the sponsoring agencies made Y x $XXX dollars running it.

What model would you have the BMW MOA contract MAX to build so that it could raffle off a new ____ and make a buck for the association?
    1988 R100RS, but with red paint like this R100S...

bmwr10.jpg88r100rs.jpg
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT