Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tires for 2013 R1200RT?

RT in NC
    Put a new set of PR3s on at 7500. They are so much better than the factory tire.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic

Michelin PR3s are a GREAT tire....just installed my second pair at ~14500 miles....replaced the OEM Tombstones at about 5700 miles, what POS tires they were....really wanted to wait for the PR4s but first set of PR3s were toast with ~8800 miles on them....second set will suffice until the PR4s come out and the demand subsides a bit...LOL

wyman
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

Just spoke with my dealer (Max BMW) who said we wouldn't be getting the PR4's into the states until later spring/early summer of '14, so I guess it will be a couple of sets of PR3's before then and the switch. At least it will give those of us in the states 4 or 5 months to hear the reports from the new RT owners before purchasing them...

trumpetman

Angry trumpetman

Quote Originally Posted by xlarry View Post
    I found some 2 year old threads on tires but nothing recent. Are PR3's still the preferred tire for the RT?

I have 8,800 on the factory tires and the rear is cupping so may need to replace the tires soon.
    No one has any of the PR4's yet. So, I might look more into the PR'3s. But, since my front tire still has plenty wear left on it I might have to go with another Metzler Z8 Interact. I have heard it I not good to mix different brands. True?

Quote Originally Posted by NATHANMONK View Post
    No one has any of the PR4's yet. So, I might look more into the PR'3s. But, since my front tire still has plenty wear left on it I might have to go with another Metzler Z8 Interact. I have heard it I not good to mix different brands. True?
    How would your motorcycle know ?.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    wyman
    I just have to say, that's some hat.

Bridgestone. BAH
    2007 they all got the stones.
    Run Z6's and Z8's
    But you guys sure love the Michelins, hmmmmm

Generally you can mix brands but there is a chance you might alter handling in a few cases- though not to a dangerous level if the tire type and size is correct.

For example, some tires (eg Michelin PRs) have a more rounded profile and therefore more linear turn in than others (eg Dunlop RoadSmart) that a more "triangle" shape (I think Dunlop calls it cosecant curve or similar) which turn in faster once the turn is initiated. Bikes are generally fitted with the tire profile the manufacturer thinks works best. If you go from one to the other you may notice a difference (or not- I've gotten on bikes with tires so squared off that I had to hang off to make a normal street turn - thought there was a steering head problem until I looked at the tires- yet the owner noticed nothing until new tires were fitted).

The Metz Z is a good tire but if you tour you will end up preferring the Mich PR for longer life and better end of life warning. But there is enough variability in road surface and rider use that there are exceptions to anything about tires.

I can't stand Michelin tires. I have Continental Road Attack 2's on my ST now, and will probably go with Pirelli Angel's or Metzeler Z8's next.
    ~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2007 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
    I can't stand Michelin tires. I have Continental Road Attack 2's on my ST now, and will probably go with Pirelli Angel's or Metzeler Z8's next.
    Care to elaborate on what you don't like about Michelins?

Quote Originally Posted by msamsen View Post
    Care to elaborate on what you don't like about Michelins?
    My ST is my first sport touring style bike. I come from a sportbike background and Michelin never gave the same performance as Pirelli. I worry more about grip then longevity. I ride my 500 pound ST like a big sportbike and the tires show that. These Conti's were put on by the dealer and they are ok. I would like to go with Diablo Rosso's like I had on my aprilia's, but I was worried about the weight. I know people that do track days on Angels so I'll most likely go with those. I'm sure Michelin makes a decent tire, I just don't like them. Good for us we all have choices.
    ~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2007 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Just got my PR4 GT's

Just got a set of PR4 GT's. I went onto Revzilla late Wed evening debating between the Bridgestone BT023 and the PR3 (a lot more expensive). I saw they had the PR4 GT's in stock, for LESS than the PR3, so I ordered a set. The amazing part is I got them today, Friday, just after lunch. Wow, talk about fast! And that was with the free shipping. Couldn't believe it when I saw the UPS truck leaving the culdesac, but there they were on my front porch.

Woohoo do they look nice. Unfortunately I'm headed up to the mountains and won't have a chance to have them mounted until later next week. Isn't that always how it works. If I were leaving on tour tomorrow they still wouldn't be here. lol.
    2012 R1200RT
    2012 Super Tenere
    2001 R1100RT (sold)

I'm another fan of the PR3. Working on second set after 9k on the first.

Pete
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    Pete
    2010 R1200RT

trumpetman

trumpetman

My ride is a R1200RT model year 13. I am having my 3rd set of tires, these will be PR4's, installed tomorrow. I have just put on slightly over 13500 on the bike. So, needless to say, I am not a happy camper with the Bridgestones that came with it or the Metzler Z8's put on in May of 2012. Now, the manual calls for I believe 36psi front and 38psi back. The dealer says 40. Correct me if I am wrong, but having installed tires on automobiles back in college, and yes I know bike tires are a different animal, if you over inflate a tire does it not cause the center bead of the tire to wear more quickly and underinflating causes the outer portion of the tire to wear more quickly?

Also, the service manager says BMW calls for valves to be checked every 6k? But, my manual says after 12k they should be checked every 12k! So, what is the deal? It appears to me they are just trying to "pay their mechanics."

My ride is a R1200RT model year 13. I am having my 3rd set of tires, these will be PR4's, installed tomorrow. I have just put on slightly over 13500 on the bike. So, needless to say, I am not a happy camper with the Bridgestones that came with it or the Metzler Z8's put on in May of 2012. Now, the manual calls for I believe 36psi front and 38psi back. The dealer says 40. Correct me if I am wrong, but having installed tires on automobiles back in college, and yes I know bike tires are a different animal, if you over inflate a tire does it not cause the center bead of the tire to wear more quickly and underinflating causes the outer portion of the tire to wear more quickly?

Also, the service manager says BMW calls for valves to be checked every 6k? But, my manual says after 12k they should be checked every 12k! So, what is the deal? It appears to me they are just trying to "pay their mechanics."
    i run my PR3s with 36/42 just me...with Pillion 38/46.....as for the valves...i have been checking them every 6000 miles....and i have 16250+ miles...they are still in spec and will be checked again when i get back from Death Valley a week from sunday with over 18000 miles....i also change the oil/filter, tranny and final drive lubricants and check/adjust if necessary the TB sync....every 6000 miles....

just my 2? worth....

wyman
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

I run my front at 36 and my rear at 40-42, it feels better to me. I have checked the valves on my RT twice and they have yet to need adjustment. I believe your dealer is trying to rip you off.
    Pete
    2010 R1200RT