Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Taking the ferry

Thanks for the info! We'll go ahead and book it!

Advice for routes/SS Badger

I booked my one way ss Badger ticket from Ludington to Manitowoc (no problem with the 20% discount). I am starting in Northern NY, and will not have a lot of time to ride to the Rally, be there until Sunday and get home (work is a pia!)
    So, I was hoping to get great information from the forum on best routes. I figure I will ride the slab to Buffalo, then to Brantford ON the first day. Brantford to Ludington MI the second, take the 8:30 am ferry the next morning, arrive in Manitowoc at 11:30 am and get to the Rally that evening.
    I have never been in these areas.
    Suggestions on the route?
    I took another poster's suggestion and ordered all the paper maps from Ontario and the states I'm going through and I'm spreading them out now and will plot the exact route the old fashioned way.
    Thanks!
    Howard

Quote Originally Posted by hlebowi2 View Post
    I booked my one way ss Badger ticket from Ludington to Manitowoc (no problem with the 20% discount). I am starting in Northern NY, and will not have a lot of time to ride to the Rally, be there until Sunday and get home (work is a pia!)
    So, I was hoping to get great information from the forum on best routes. I figure I will ride the slab to Buffalo, then to Brantford ON the first day. Brantford to Ludington MI the second, take the 8:30 am ferry the next morning, arrive in Manitowoc at 11:30 am and get to the Rally that evening.
    I have never been in these areas.
    Suggestions on the route?
    I took another poster's suggestion and ordered all the paper maps from Ontario and the states I'm going through and I'm spreading them out now and will plot the exact route the old fashioned way.
    Thanks!
    Howard
    If time is a concern, from Manitowoc to the Rally, I suggest this route: US10 West to I94 West, I94 West to St. Paul and the Snelling Ave exit ( Exit 238 ), Right on Snelling Ave. to the Rally Site (MN State Fairgrounds).
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Hi Karol,

Is the Lake Express also offering a discount?

http://www.lake-express.com

Regards,

Bill

ss badger/route to Rally

Quote Originally Posted by OldNuke View Post
    If time is a concern, from Manitowoc to the Rally, I suggest this route: US10 West to I94 West, I94 West to St. Paul and the Snelling Ave exit ( Exit 238 ), Right on Snelling Ave. to the Rally Site (MN State Fairgrounds).
    Thanks OldNuke.
    I was looking at that route last night. How long do you think it would take from Manitowoc to St Paul?

Howard

Thanks OldNuke.
    I was looking at that route last night. How long do you think it would take from Manitowoc to St Paul?

Howard
    It's about 330 miles. That's around a 5.5 hr ride.

The other option is I43 North to Green Bay and WI Hwy 29 West, WI Hwy 29 West to I94 West and on into St. Paul. The time and mileage difference isn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by OldNuke View Post
    It's about 330 miles. That's around a 5.5 hr ride.

The other option is I43 North to Green Bay and WI Hwy 29 West, WI Hwy 29 West to I94 West and on into St. Paul. The time and mileage difference isn't that great.
    Would you prefer the first scenario?
    Also, any suggestions for Brantford Ontario to Ludington MI?

Thanks again
    Howard

Would you prefer the first scenario?
    Also, any suggestions for Brantford Ontario to Ludington MI?

Thanks again
    Howard
    I prefer the first do to some of the quieter 2 lane portions. The second has more multi-lane sections and is just a tad shorter.
    No suggestions for the Canadian side, sorry.