Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taking the ferry

OFOAM

Taking the ferry

Yeah, it's way out there but I'm looking at routes to the national in St. Paul. One of the possibles is to take Rt6 through Canada to Tobermory. We'd take the ferry over to Manitoulin Island then continue on. Has anyone actually been on that ferry? What's your impression? How is it for bike tie downs? Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mick

I have taken the Ferry, good experience!

Bring your own tie downs.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Me too. Manitoulin Island is very scenic and a fun 1 hour ride. Ferry is nice too.
    "all things in moderation - including moderation"

RK Ryder
    The ferry ride is even better when you call ahead to book your spot. Chi-Cheemaun 1-800-265-3163 http://www.ontarioferries.com/ontari.../schedule.html

Darryl is right about bringing your own tie-downs. It's the only ferry that I've been on that offers ropes, rather than straps.

I'm considering doing the same, only I'll take the ride north of Lake Superior and then down south to St. Paul. It's a good ride.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Re: Taking the ferry

I've done it once and enjoyed it. Really worth doing. Have a good trip!
    Tom
    Findlay, OH
    F650GS

The ferry

I've gone several different routes to St. Paul. The Tobermory ferry is ok but I think the better one is at Luddington across Lake Michigan. I don' think you make up any time using highway 6; actually I think, all in all, it costs you time. The alternate route around, via 69, is quicker and highway 6 is a pain in the n**ts for speed traps. As someone pointed out, the ride around Superior is very scenic, but takes you the really long way around. All that being said, bikes board first, obviously, and I have never had it that it was too full to take another bike, so reservations may not be critical. You need your own tie downs and if you don't get up on deck quickly a lot of the cage drivers hog 3 or 4 of the good seats each.

Ferry - Badger

I know this is about the Tobermory, but also wanted everyone to know the SSBadger is offering BMW MOA members a 20% discount on their rates. It's a 4-hour ride from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI. I've taken this ferry many times, and always enjoy it. Nice, relaxing and bypasses CHI

Sunset sail sm.jpg
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Outstanding! I've taken the Badger many times, it's a nice ride! Get there early- they load bikes on first, off first, so you're not stuck in traffic on the other side-
    Phil Keppelman #20331
    MOA Rally Stage Manager
    The shortest distance between two points.............
    ain't how I got here......

Likewise we've taken the Badger across Lake Michigan Fall 2012 w our K1200LT. They had a package out of Ludington that included an over nite stay on board, breakfast, and 9 AM departure to Manitowoc which we enjoyed. The 60 yr old ship is in remarkable condition (fresh water?) and is incredibly smooth running.

There was one other BMW bike on board, an oilhead. His tipped over from the fairly rough crossing. The Badger is big, but so is Michigan N-S, and the n-w wind was substantial. Tie downs are to a very adequate vehicle floor based ventilation grate, but bring ratcheting type nylon strap tie down & connect them to a hard point on the bike frame. Not the handlebars. I used the rear seat lock on my LT.
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6

SS Badger discount

Quote Originally Posted by R1100rtp View Post
    I know this is about the Tobermory, but also wanted everyone to know the SSBadger is offering BMW MOA members a 20% discount on their rates. It's a 4-hour ride from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI. I've taken this ferry many times, and always enjoy it. Nice, relaxing and bypasses CHI

Sunset sail sm.jpg
    The SS Badger website does not have anything about the 20% discount for MOA members or Rally.
    I emailed, but got no response.
    Is there a code available to use on the website to get the discount?
    Thanks!
    Howard

Quote Originally Posted by hlebowi2 View Post
    The SS Badger website does not have anything about the 20% discount for MOA members or Rally.
    I emailed, but got no response.
    Is there a code available to use on the website to get the discount?
    Thanks!
    Howard
    This was what their director told me: >>>>We begin taking reservations in late February 2014. At that time, your attendees can call and mention the BMW MOA rally and receive the 20% discount.<<<

The contact is Sara Ewing, Director of Ticketing and Reservations
    888-227-2628

Quote Originally Posted by R1100rtp View Post
    This was what their director told me: >>>>We begin taking reservations in late February 2014. At that time, your attendees can call and mention the BMW MOA rally and receive the 20% discount.<<<

The contact is Sara Ewing, Director of Ticketing and Reservations
    888-227-2628
    Just confirmed with Sara...Calling that number and mentioning BMW MOA will get the discount. They took advantage of their down season to revamp their computer system. When it's fully functional in late April, you can enter the code with an on-line booking. Meanwhile call for reservations for the discount!

Enjoy the ride!! (I always do)

ss badger

Thanks for the information!!
    I will give them a call.

Both ways?

Is the discount offered both ways or just on the way TO the Rally? We're looking at taking the long way there and the ferry on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by clowry View Post
    Is the discount offered both ways or just on the way TO the Rally? We're looking at taking the long way there and the ferry on the way home.
    Both directions...