Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New BMW Navigator V tips and tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
    If you have time, it would be great if you could share what you find out.
    That would be real good. Any of the interesting/informative GPS threads that develop, I've been stacking them in the Best of Forum I posted-
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...he-Best-of-GPS
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    That would be real good. Any of the interesting/informative GPS threads that develop, I've been stacking them in the Best of Forum I posted-
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...he-Best-of-GPS
    Gary
    Well, I was at the dealer today for holiday cheer and to check on the status of my new GS. While there, I had some time to play with the NAV IV, the NAV V and my own NUVI 500 and specifically compared drive modes and found (WARNING - I know enough to be dangerous so YMMV applies below):

1) The NAV IV has 4 modes: Driving (car icon) Motorcycle (Moto icon), Walking and Scootering (there may have been a 5th ?Walking? mode too ? don?t remember),
    2) The NUVI 500 has 4 modes: Driving (car icon), Walking, Bicycling and Scootering
    3) The NAV 5 has 3 modes: Driving (car icon), Motorcycle (Moto icon) and Off Road

The NAV IV and the NUVI 500 behave similarly from the WHERE TO page. You select any mode and (unless you check 'don't ask me again') you automatically receive a prompt asking if you would like to configure your driving mode for that setting. Choose yes and you can change the icon, the driving map view (3D etc.) and the ROUTE PREFERENCES. For any of the motorized vehicle modes, your choices for preferences are the Faster Time, Shorter Distance or OFF Road .

(My general experience with my last 3 Garmins, is that Faster Time includes super slab, Shorter Distance avoids super slab and OFF Road is a straight bee line.)

The NAV 5 is different in 1) only 3 modes (NO WALKING MODE or bicycle?WHY Garmin Why? WTF?) and 2) that it doesn?t prompt you to configure the mode at time of selection. But you still can, it is just that it ?assumes? you already did this. The first time (or any time you want), after selecting either Driving (car icon) or Motorcycle (Moto icon) mode, you can manually go to SETTINGS > NAVIGATION > CALCULATION MODE and then select Faster Time, Shorter Distance or OFF Road.

I assume the algorithms for Faster Time, Shorter Distance or OFF Road are the same for all Garmins, but don?t hold me to that . I didn't experiment with avoidances which I normally only use when planning the route on the computer with Base Camp ( and I am not very good at it).

On the bike, I use Shorter Distance a lot and it gets me over eastern/central/southern US mountains on some adventurous high and narrow single lane dirt roads and gaps to connect up to twisty two laners great fun. It has also taken me up to places that I was beginning to regret, like the time at Seneca Rocks when I almost got eaten by cows up on Roy Gap Rd but that is more of a campfire story for a later time...

Anyway, as I said, I will have my Nav V in early Jan 2014 attached to that fastest and most beautiful Thunder Grey R1200GS LC and I will then go out and find out what I am talking about?.

Best wishes for the holidays

I discovered some flexibility in searching when navigating a route.

Condition: You are currently navigating a route, and decide to search along it.

1. Click Where to

Then click on the Searching near box in the upper right corner of the screen.

The Search near default is to search near your current location, however, clicking on this brings you to another screen that lets you select where to search. As you can see, it allows you to choose searching near:

My Active Route
    My Destination
    Where I Am Now
    A Different City
    Recent Destination
    Saved Place

(I included two images because the last choice could not be seen without scrolling down. )

I called up a route that started far away from my current location and ended even farther away, told the unit to Go (navigate it) and then searched for a steakhouse near my active route. It found one. I did not take the next step of telling it to go there, etc., but at least it seems like searching along the route is possible. It seems like there is a lot more flexibility to the searching than I had thought.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

Nice to know Emoto, I am still waiting for my Navigator, as you know I have farklized it with an R1200GS attached to it. Appears that the whole package is in New York customs and will arrive with he 3 wise men.

Everyone is still sleeping around the EAP-house and I have a 6 legged turkey out on the smoker. Merry Christmas!

The Search Near My Active Route is a great feature and one that I use often. Especially nice in that it only looks ahead and not where you have already been. By the way, this feature is available in the Z550 / 660 / 665.

Quote Originally Posted by rgmanley View Post
    The Search Near My Active Route is a great feature and one that I use often. Especially nice in that it only looks ahead and not where you have already been. By the way, this feature is available in the Z550 / 660 / 665.
    Cool. I was wondering if that way in the other Zumos. I can say that it also works with the Zumo 350.

I found this garmin support page that indicates what the different usage modes do to navigation directions.
    It lumps Car/Motorcycle, Automobile or Driving all into the same mode type.

The newest zumo model 390LM has the new 'Curvy Roads' navigation feature. I have not heard any reviews of it but it looks promising. I was hoping a firmware update on the older zumo models might make it available for them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dblankenberger View Post
    I found this garmin support page that indicates what the different usage modes do to navigation directions.
    It lumps Car/Motorcycle, Automobile or Driving all into the same mode type.

The newest zumo model 390LM has the new 'Curvy Roads' navigation feature. I have not heard any reviews of it but it looks promising. I was hoping a firmware update on the older zumo models might make it available for them as well.
    I think you'll be waiting a L O N G time for Garmin to do anything proactively!!! I have the NAV IV and I'm not very impressed.
    Greg

bluetooth dongle

OK guys I am desperate to find a BT dongle receiver that works with the NAV V

I had Zumo 66X and an SRC from Schuberth but the darn GARMIN was Bluetooth connection was horrible most of the time so I switched to a wired J&M in my Schuberth and have been thrilled for a year now.

So along comes a new BMW and the NAV V and dammit if BMW doesn't exclude a wired output for the GPS.

I do not plan on going back to the BT setup since I enjoy having the radar beep in my headset and an FM radio from the J&M Integrtr and no batteries to charge.

SO now I need a BT dongle to connect as a receiver for the darn NAV V..

I tried one from Go Groove that had all the features that I wanted except that the GARMIN did not recognize it as a valid output for turn directions for some unknown reason.

NOW I am needing a BT Receiver dongle that works with the NAV V for direction.

Anyone got one working?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauleknight View Post
    OK guys I am desperate to find a BT dongle receiver that works with the NAV V

I had Zumo 66X and an SRC from Schuberth but the darn GARMIN was Bluetooth connection was horrible most of the time so I switched to a wired J&M in my Schuberth and have been thrilled for a year now.

So along comes a new BMW and the NAV V and dammit if BMW doesn't exclude a wired output for the GPS.

I do not plan on going back to the BT setup since I enjoy having the radar beep in my headset and an FM radio from the J&M Integrtr and no batteries to charge.

SO now I need a BT dongle to connect as a receiver for the darn NAV V..

I tried one from Go Groove that had all the features that I wanted except that the GARMIN did not recognize it as a valid output for turn directions for some unknown reason.

NOW I am needing a BT Receiver dongle that works with the NAV V for direction.

Anyone got one working?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
    If all you want is the turn-by-turn directions, you can pick that up from the smaller of the two connectors on the OEM "GPS Prep" mount harness. I do this myself. It will not provide telephone or MP3 audio, but it 100% will provide turn directions.

I am pretty sure the Jabra Clipper that I bought will correctly receive all Nav V audio output, I have tested for the turn-by-turn directions and that works, but I would have to test the rest to confirm. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited to add: I remembered fooling around with this last year and found my ADV posts about it. The Jabra headset I listed above WILL also deliver media/MP3 audio as well as directions. It will automatically mute the MP3 when a spoken direction happens. I did not test telephone function via the Jabra unit or any other.

You could run a patch cord form the Jabra audio out to your system audio in. Since I care nothing about anything other than the turn-by-turn direx, I will stick with my wired connection to the OEM cradle. By the way, you can buy the mating plug for it from BMW. The plug is part number: 83 30 0 402 342

Emoto,

Thanks a million for the quick response.

A few questions.

1. for the cable 83300402342 it says it is a repair plug. I cannot find any reference to the right plug or how it works. Do I have to make the connector myself?

2. For the Jabra it looks like it uses the MICRO USB charger, but do you know if you can charge and use the "clipper" at the same time !!!!! 6 hours is NOT a long time of in the saddle time

Thanks a million for this response.

I just ordered one from Amazon and I had to get a pink one.... I will be styling fo sure!

Emoto,

Thanks a million for the quick response.

A few questions.

1. for the cable 83300402342 it says it is a repair plug. I cannot find any reference to the right plug or how it works. Do I have to make the connector myself?

2. For the Jabra it looks like it uses the MICRO USB charger, but do you know if you can charge and use the "clipper" at the same time !!!!! 6 hours is NOT a long time of in the saddle time

Thanks a million for this response.

I just ordered one from Amazon and I had to get a pink one.... I will be styling fo sure!
    1. Loose plugs like that are always called repair plug or similar, from what I have been able to tell. You could look at a K1600 and find the one on that or maybe an RT, but I don't know why you would care. You will have to wire it to the connector of your choice; it just has 2 wires (if I recall correctly) coming out the back of it. I ran mine to a little socket, and then use a 3mm male to male patch cord to get its output into my MixIt2.

2. I have not tried it, but I believe one can charge and use simultaneously. i don't know that this Jabra unit is the best choice in the world (or not) it is just the one I bought, mostly on price. Bear in mind that you only need it for audio OTHER THAN the turn-by-turn directions because you can get those from the other plug mentioned above.

So, if all you need out of the Nav V is your turning directions, then just stick with the repair plug and run that somehow into your J&M system.

1. Loose plugs like that are always called repair plug or similar, from what I have been able to tell. You could look at a K1600 and find the one on that or maybe an RT, but I don't know why you would care. You will have to wire it to the connector of your choice; it just has 2 wires (if I recall correctly) coming out the back of it. I ran mine to a little socket, and then use a 3mm male to male patch cord to get its output into my MixIt2.

2. I have not tried it, but I believe one can charge and use simultaneously. i don't know that this Jabra unit is the best choice in the world (or not) it is just the one I bought, mostly on price. Bear in mind that you only need it for audio OTHER THAN the turn-by-turn directions because you can get those from the other plug mentioned above.

So, if all you need out of the Nav V is your turning directions, then just stick with the repair plug and run that somehow into your J&M system.
    I will try the Jabra first as it would be nice to have all my audio except my iPhone run thru the same source. Load up the NAV V with MP3, plug the Jabra into the charger and then I get one source for music and direction.

I still might try the wired version. so you are saying that I need to make something like this?

Name:  IMG_0844.jpg
Views: 1679
Size:  36.7 KB

But maybe it is MONO since it is only two wires?

I will try the Jabra first as it would be nice to have all my audio except my iPhone run thru the same source. Load up the NAV V with MP3, plug the Jabra into the charger and then I get one source for music and direction.

I still might try the wired version. so you are saying that I need to make something like this?

Name:  IMG_0844.jpg
Views: 1679
Size:  36.7 KB

But maybe it is MONO since it is only two wires?
    Sorry, I was not being clear: NO MP3 or other "media" or telephone audio will come out the GPS Prep mount small connector. Only directions. I have confirmed this empirically.

I think the directions are mono,but wouldn't bet money.

IOW: BT give you all audio. Wire from harness give you only directions audio.

Sorry, I was not being clear: NO MP3 or other "media" or telephone audio will come out the GPS Prep mount small connector. Only directions. I have confirmed this empirically.

I think the directions are mono,but wouldn't bet money.

IOW: BT give you all audio. Wire from harness give you only directions audio.
    Emoto, thanks for the clarification, but I think you explained it right the first time.

Wired = directions only
    BT = Directions and MP3

thanks again.... you are the MAN!!!

For a quick question, can I not just TAP into the wires for the wired audio out and wire to a female 3.5 mm? this way we would not have to purchase the $25 connector from BMW?

Paul