Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: New BMW Navigator V tips and tricks

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Posts
    4

    New BMW Navigator V tips and tricks

    Hi all,
    Sorry if this is redundant but I am a new user and couldn't find a thread on this topic. Please point me in the right direction if there is already. I am trying to figure out all the features on my Navigator V in conjunction with my 2014 GSW.

    The manual is very light and I can't find any info in particular on voice commands...if there are. When you use the left hand controller you can get to a window that shows if you press and hold next to the "speak" indicator you would think it would lead to a voice command menu...but to no avail...it just leads back to the map.

    I am also not having any luck with using the iphone through the NavV even though it is paired up with my Sena10 and iPhone yet I see the call coming in on the screen but when I press to answer there is no call sound. Maybe this is somehow related to the voice commands and the mic not working???

    There are so many features that I look forward to using and hope we can all learn together on this new device...someone want to hold a class???

  2. #2
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    6,590
    Welcome to the forum! Your topic in not redundant at all. We have quite a few members who are real good at this kind of thing. Just hang in a while, I'm sure you can get some help.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  3. #3
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    957
    My experience has been that the "Speak" command is only active when navigating a route. If you push Speak while navigating a route, it will give you the current or next voice instruction. For example, let's say you made a route that puts you on the highway for 10 miles and then takes you off at Exit 5. When following that route and say you just got on the highway, pressing Speak will get you an instruction like "in 9.8 miles, take Exit 5, on right".
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Posts
    4

    speak for navigation but where are the voice commands?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
    My experience has been that the "Speak" command is only active when navigating a route. If you push Speak while navigating a route, it will give you the current or next voice instruction. For example, let's say you made a route that puts you on the highway for 10 miles and then takes you off at Exit 5. When following that route and say you just got on the highway, pressing Speak will get you an instruction like "in 9.8 miles, take Exit 5, on right".
    Ok that makes sense based on the fact that when i push the speak command it takes me back to the map and a voice says "ready to navigate"

    BUT isn't there the function of voice commands for the NavV?

  5. #5
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by moamark View Post
    Ok that makes sense based on the fact that when i push the speak command it takes me back to the map and a voice says "ready to navigate"

    BUT isn't there the function of voice commands for the NavV?
    If you are asking whether one can speak commands to the GPS unit itself, I do not believe that is possible. I could be wrong, but I have seen no indication of it.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
    If you are asking whether one can speak commands to the GPS unit itself, I do not believe that is possible. I could be wrong, but I have seen no indication of it.
    The other day I was looking for something else online and came across a video that mentioned and showed a voice command that I thought was for the NavV. But I have not been able to locate that video again. Was it only a dream???

    Sure seems like a good idea to have voice command so as not to be fidgeting with your hands while riding to find a location or activate a certain function.

  7. #7
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by moamark View Post
    The other day I was looking for something else online and came across a video that mentioned and showed a voice command that I thought was for the NavV. But I have not been able to locate that video again. Was it only a dream???

    Sure seems like a good idea to have voice command so as not to be fidgeting with your hands while riding to find a location or activate a certain function.
    Well, I can't say 100% because I don't do anything with my own voice while on the bike, except maybe sing along with my iPod, but nothing in any of the menus (and I may have explored most of them by now) seem to indicate anything about voice control of the GPS unit.

    Here is the manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6qnkx3wu16zmjn/OM_EN.pdf
    I'm not really seeing anything in there about controlling the GPS by voice. Again, I could be wrong, but I am just not seeing it listed anywhere.

    Maybe you saw a video of someone taking a bluetooth phone call?
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Posts
    4

    iPhone/Sena10 taking calls via NavV

    Quote Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
    Well, I can't say 100% because I don't do anything with my own voice while on the bike, except maybe sing along with my iPod, but nothing in any of the menus (and I may have explored most of them by now) seem to indicate anything about voice control of the GPS unit.

    Here is the manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6qnkx3wu16zmjn/OM_EN.pdf
    I'm not really seeing anything in there about controlling the GPS by voice. Again, I could be wrong, but I am just not seeing it listed anywhere.

    Maybe you saw a video of someone taking a bluetooth phone call?
    Well I have been wrong in the past about something...forgot what it was;-)

    But your comment about the bluetooth and taking a call was another issue I was trying to resolve.

    When a call comes in via iPhone/sena10 I see that I am getting a call and the caller # on the NavV screen...but when I try to accept the call it just goes quiet...I don't hear anything....and I don't think they hear me...???

    BTW...thanks for having this dialog with me...greatly appreciated!

  9. #9
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    957
    Happy to help in any way that I can, but I have not explored pairing a phone with the Nav V. I just have no desire to be bothered by a phone when riding. Sorry.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

  10. #10
    Registered User Eap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Md, USA
    Posts
    42

    Default routing question

    Any ideas on this one?
    I was at the dealer playing with the NAV 5 and noticed that the main screen has a little pull down menu at the top with a ?car? icon, a ?motorcycle? and something for 'Off Road'. OK we (the salesman and a couple of parts guys) figured out that 'Off Road' will route as the crow flies, but no one knew what the routing difference was between the ?car? and ?moto?. [/FONT][/SIZE]

    These are my 2 questions that the BMW guys could not answer: >>

    1) Can the two profiles be set for distinct routing? Say the ?car? profile for ?Fastest Time? and the ?Moto? profile set for ?Shortest Distance?. This I can do with my NUVI. .
    .>>
    2) What profile do I use if I am walking downtown NY or Amsterdam? Again, my Nuvi has a walking mode ....


    One theory on the auto vs moto modes, was that IF you have the car cradle hookup, this will allow acitivation of the speaker...is that all there is my friends (pretty lame to me)?

    Thanks! >>

  11. #11
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by Eap View Post
    Any ideas on this one?
    I tend to use the automotive profile for everything. I find it more predictable. When I have tried the motorcycle profile, I don't like the routes it chooses.
    Having said that, I plan ALL of my tours and day rides as "routes" in BaseCamp with shaping points to put me onto the roads I want to be on, then push those routes to the GPS. You cannot rely on the GPS unit to pick good motorcycle roads. They are fine for "take me to the hotel at 123 main st." but that's about it.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

  12. #12
    Registered User Eap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Md, USA
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
    I tend to use the automotive profile for everything. I find it more predictable. When I have tried the motorcycle profile, I don't like the routes it chooses.
    Having said that, I plan ALL of my tours and day rides as "routes" in BaseCamp with shaping points to put me onto the roads I want to be on, then push those routes to the GPS. You cannot rely on the GPS unit to pick good motorcycle roads. They are fine for "take me to the hotel at 123 main st." but that's about it.
    Thanks, I was hoping they'd kept the feature from the NUVI, which was very helpful and somewhat predictable for good Moto roads using the "shortest distance" selection. "Faster time" is almost always super slab. I know they have that selection but it is somewhat buried, I just don't know if you can set the default...

    I'll have to play with the shaping points feature, but even when I plan a detailed route, I often end up modifying it on the go - always have a paper map open on my tank bag for the big picture and finding alternate destinations...

    So you think there is no walking route preference also?

  13. #13
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by Eap View Post
    Thanks, I was hoping they'd kept the feature from the NUVI, which was very helpful and somewhat predictable for good Moto roads using the "shortest distance" selection. "Faster time" is almost always super slab. I know they have that selection but it is somewhat buried, I just don't know if you can set the default...

    I'll have to play with the shaping points feature, but even when I plan a detailed route, I often end up modifying it on the go - always have a paper map open on my tank bag for the big picture and finding alternate destinations...

    So you think there is no walking route preference also?
    Now that I think about it a bit more, I realize that I just don't know, because most of the mode experimentation that I did was on a Zumo 350LM, not the Nav V. Sorry about that. I have not spent much time fooling with the Na V to find out, because I plan everything in BaseCamp down to the last turn. If I am out following a route and decide to deviate from it, I just go ahead and do it. I have off-route recalculation set to off, so that I can pick up my route again later if I like and it won't have changed. I always have a paper map on my tank bag, too, for the big picture.

    You can set avoidances (like avoiding highway or dirt roads) so there is that. Maybe you will put the time in when you get yours to see if the moto routing is worth anything.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

  14. #14
    Registered User Eap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Md, USA
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
    sNIP.... Maybe you will put the time in when you get yours to see if the moto routing is worth anything.
    I plan do just that, it should be in right after the new year attached to a GS LC

  15. #15
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by Eap View Post
    I plan do just that, it should be in right after the new year attached to a GS LC
    If you have time, it would be great if you could share what you find out.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •