Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Camping: OK BMWMOA, I Can Take a Hint...

Reply to complainer

I personally think it was well planned for a bunch of volunteers. Suggest those who can do better volunteer to select a site and chair a future rally.
    Jim Slater BMWMOA #34

Showers,

I didn't go to the shower trailer at all, so I didn't count the showers in there. However, there were three showers in the men's restroom at the south end of the rally site, real close to where I camped. They were in a building just south of the bike show barn. If you have your rally map, it was south of Flying Brick Road, just east of Oilhead Alley.

Anyway, lines were never bad there. Maybe because it wasn't clear there were showers in there.

As for the airheads, I was very impressed with all the older bikes. I have to admit to some airhead envy. Seemed to be lots of them there -- some were camping around me. They definitely create more conversations than the newer bikes, look cool, and will only go up in price.

It's definitely your right to complain, but I had so much fun, I'm just sorry you didn't enjoy it.
    Jim
    2008 K1200GT

There were in fact 4 shower areas all very well identified on the Rally site map included in your free tank bag booklet.
    Howard Snider
    "R1200 CLC"
    "R750/6"
    Good friends are forever
    "That? It's a serving tray for marines"

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I think that part of the problem is that everyone tried to get into the same area for camping, and that some of the other areas were relatively empty. When I did the run on Saturday morning... I saw that there were open spots. But I agree it was tighter.

Also there is nothing anyone can do about the temperature.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn
    Yes there is...don't schedule the event during July or August....that or have it in upper regions of canada

Camping and Showers

Sorry you didn't have a good time. BUT....(you knew it was coming) Camping space was plentiful in the Loud Camping area and I can assure you it wasn't any louder than the "Quite" camping, especially if you wore earplugs (I have to because I wake myself up snoring). They also opened up another area for camping that wasn't very full.

There were plenty of showers, some lines, but I think mostly because people didn't look at the map and see all the available shower areas. I went to the one on Main and had a line, then went to the one by the Beer Garden and walked right in.

Anyway, not to preach, but It is what you make of it and I will hopefully see you in VT next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn
    I think that part of the problem is that everyone tried to get into the same area for camping, and that some of the other areas were relatively empty. When I did the run on Saturday morning... I saw that there were open spots. But I agree it was tighter.

An event of this magnitude requires a large venue, such as a fairgrounds. Being a fairgrounds, there are limitations as to how many wooded areas are available due to considerations for having space for many events. And under a tree is not a great spot to be in a thunderstorm. There was a large camping area just west of the quiet camping that was used by less than 20 people. And one on the east side by racetrack that was vastly unused. Sorry you had a bad experience but we volunteers tried our hardest to accomodate everyone's needs and desires. Sure we made some mistakes but after all we are AMATUERS and don't do this for a living. Try Vermont and I pray you have a better time. At least meeting "Family" makes any inconviences bearable.IMHO I made friends with riders from Canada and Germany, couldn't do that at a local gathering!!! There's good and bad to everything except Heaven.
    Howard Snider
    "R1200 CLC"
    "R750/6"
    Good friends are forever
    "That? It's a serving tray for marines"

Diehly

Kudos

What an absolute blast!
    My hat's off to Sue and all of the people that took time to chair and organize. The volunteers were great and the cost was great.
    I enjoyed meeting people and using the time to bond with my son. The clean up crew did such a good job that I feel certain that the grounds looked better after the Rally than when we got there.
    The only way that VT can be better is if GearHeadGrrrl chairs the Rally.

Thanks again BMW MOA

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    It was a blast either way
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

It's All In The Rationale

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti
    1. get there earlier if possible, i still saw many good sites available on friday
    2. i showered at midnight 3 nights and 9:30am one day and didn't have to wait more than 10 minutes. its a 9000 person rally, what did you expect???
    3. blame the nothern hemisphere's relation to the sun from may till september, not the rally...............
    its all what you make of it, i had a blast, and i left with a sunburn, 4 hrs of sleep and about 15 nasty spider bites
    Sounds too much like boot camp to me.
    du

Had a great time

This was my first national rally and I had a great time. Maybe part of it is because I backpack and have worked with one of the national BBQ circuits I accept that climate is what you expect and weather is what you get. The entire mid-west is having a heat wave and any large event must go on as scheduled, you make the best of it and the weak/unadaptable find holes to hide in.

We arrived about noon on Thursday and found a place to pitch tents in about 20 minutes after leaving the registration tent. (Hawk and Main, 1 minute to restrooms, 2 minutes to showers, 30 seconds to beer garden.) I showered between 8 and 9:30 all three mornings and spent exactly 0 minutes standing in line.

More food vendors would have been nice, but I waited in line longer at a restaurant on the way home than at at any of the stands at the rally.

If you can not accept that compromise is a part of life at any large gathering, you need to find a more solitary form of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by glinm
    If you can not accept that compromise is a part of life at any large gathering, you need to find a more solitary form of entertainment.
    There ya go gearheadgrrrl

Human Beans live in Lima

Unregistered
    Camping services were available this year. They got there on Tuesday and had a nice site close to showers, etc. Tent was waiting complete with air mattress, sleeping bag, pillow and chair (lots less to pack!). Services also included coffee in the morning, fresh clean towels for showers, ice water during the day and two large coolers packed with ice for the campers using this service.

If you had trouble with camping this year, you might consider using a service next year (I'd post the link, but not sure if it's allowed here).

Talking Couldn't get a shower?

We didn't have any problem taking a shower at any time of day. I think most people only thought that showers were available in the one "shower trailer" but I think showers were in most permanent bathrooms. If you went into one of the permanent bathrooms then you should have seen the showers. We were over near the end of Main St and had showers as well as a nice concrete pad to park our bike on the other side of the building. Other than the heat and the storm Thursday night it was great. We are already making plans for next year.

Someone earlier mentioned that this event was put together by volunteers. This is a great point and it also means that anyone who had problems with this year's rally can volunteer for next year and keep those problems from happening again.

NE Arkansas - Between Goobertown and Buck Snort

Chill

Nothing like extreme heat stress to make people cranky.
    I suspect all of the other shortcomings could have been taken in stride if we'd been fortunate enough to have mild weather.
    The one thing the 'MOA had no control over is causing people to focus on weak areas where the organizers might have done a little better.
    I don't know about all of you, but I feel like I got my $35 worth between noon Thursday and the time I left at 4 p.m. Friday.