Thread: Happy birthday Grace Hopper

Happy birthday Grace Hopper

Went to do a search via Google this morning and saw the mainframe/tubed computer and a woman sitting at a keyboard...wondering what that was about I checked it out

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/12/09/...ter-scientist/

Would have been her 107th birthday

Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, computer scientist from the day's before such a thing...developed the COBOL computer language and had a lot to do with how this technology has become so commonplace in our everyday lives. I'm not a big techie/programmer, but have a few as friends

Also credited with the term "bug" ...it's in the story.

Here she is talking about difference between nano-second and micro-second...would have loved her as a teacher!

Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Common Business Oriented Language

Oh, the memories.
    Can you name all the sections required for a compilable program?
    Too long ago for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post

Oh, the memories.
    Too long ago for me.
    Start

Run

Stop

Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Was lucky enough to attend a Naval Training class by Admiral Grace. It was a pleasure and definite learning experience her ideas on the difference between a leader and a manager were spot on and should be emulated by all business an by the military. Sadly most bureaucracies are too ingrained in their own culture to implement new ideas no matter how old they are.
    Knick
    F800GS
    Vespa ET4

Cool Steve!
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by hexst View Post
    Was lucky enough to attend a Naval Training class by Admiral Grace. It was a pleasure and definite learning experience her ideas on the difference between a leader and a manager were spot on and should be emulated by all business an by the military. Sadly most bureaucracies are too ingrained in their own culture to implement new ideas no matter how old they are.
    What year was that? I bet she could hold the audience.

Spent more time reading about her...truly one of a kind.

And has a ship named in her honor!

The USS Hopper (DDG-70) is an Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer of the United States Navy, named for the pioneering computer scientist, Rear Admiral "Amazing" Grace Hopper. Launched in JAN 1996

Side note on management/supervision :

We had a management style class in the 90's using 12 O'clock High as the model. Gregory Peck's character was the preferred method over the former Squadron Leader...My group of "independent" linemen I had just inherited were called the Lepper Colony by my counterparts! I came in to class with a bomber jacket and a hat I got from a former retired employee that was a WWII bomber pilot...we had fun with that for weeks! The professional hired trainer wasn't as amused as I was

http://www.movieleadership.com/2013/...ut-leadership/
    Last edited by henzilla; 12-09-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post

Oh, the memories.
    Too long ago for me.
    Identification Division.
    Environment Division.
    Data Division.
    Procedure Division.

I never used it professionally, but COBOL was my first programming language.
    The "Miracle of Modern Technology" is that we get anything done using it...

Was in the 70's . The FAA management school used the 12 o'clock High movie. Her lecture/ ideas hit home better than the movie to me, because the FAA class indicated all managers were leaders where she proposed good leaders got people to do what they really didn't want to in a way they were proud of their accomplishments, whereas managers implemented ideas and doctrine more like administers. She contended good managers were not necessarily good leaders and good leaders were not always good managers.
    Knick
    F800GS
    Vespa ET4

Quote Originally Posted by hexst View Post
    Was in the 70's . The FAA management school used the 12 o'clock High movie. Her lecture/ ideas hit home better than the movie to me, because the FAA class indicated all managers were leaders where she proposed good leaders got people to do what they really didn't want to in a way they were proud of their accomplishments, whereas managers implemented ideas and doctrine more like administers. She contended good managers were not necessarily good leaders and good leaders were not always good managers.

But who's the Boss? And, isn't that always the issue.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by tposton View Post
    Identification Division.
    Environment Division.
    Data Division.
    Procedure Division.

I first learned FORTRAN in college in the late 60's...FORTRAN II, if I remember correctly. Then took a course in ALGOL and finally COBOL. I started my career writing financial systems in COBOL, wrote thousands and thousands of lines of COBOL, on punch cards. Forty years later it was distributed systems in SQL, C++, and Java on UNIX systems and PCs using advanced IDEs. Quite a few changes over the years. I always liked writing code...guess I'm just a geek.
    1983 R100RS
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Paid for all my post mid life motorcycles. . . And still does.

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    But who's the Boss? And, isn't that always the issue.

Yes, that is always the issue.

I once worked for a person who hired a consultant that wanted someone else, other than my boss, to provide "functional supervision".

I related the story about "a man can not serve two masters" and that ended that discussion.

During my working life I worked for some great bosses and some of the "A hole" type. The last one called every Friday at 5:15 to see if I was still there. After 6 weeks I told him he was wasting his time because I didn't duck out of work early on Friday or any other day.

He stopped calling. But in 2 years I only saw him face to face twice and we only talked when he thought I had screwed up somehow. He was usually wrong but didn't like admitting it.

One of the reasons why early retirement was a blessing. Didn't tell him I was leaving. Filled out the retirement papers. When he found out I was leaving he wanted to know why and I told him. He didn't like it much, but he asked.

Lucky for me I had the best group of people working for me. Made my life very easy and made me look good. But no one could abuse my staff. They could yell, scream, cuss and do whatever else they wanted to me and I would politely listen till they ran out of air. I had broad shoulders and thick skin.

I worked for one person for almost 15 years. He led by example. Was always supportive. Helped me see the difference between problems and what he called "bumps in the road". Learned a lot by watching him.

Any organization needs leaders and managers. Leaders have the visions necessary for the continued health and growth of the organization. Managers implement those visions.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Quote Originally Posted by tposton View Post
    Identification Division.
    Environment Division.
    Data Division.
    Procedure Division.

OH!
    Weisenheimer!!!

Nice

I don't get the charge I used to get out of cranking code and twiddling bits.
    But as has been said, pays for stuff.