Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to butcher a 1993 K1100RS

Quote Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
    I have a very special need and I'm hoping someone out there might be able to help me.

I've given up trying to fine a non-BMW alternative pin release tools.
    I'm going to make one last ditch effort and post in all my threads to see if someone has them I can borrow or lease.
    These are the tools used to R&R the pins in the connectors? (Took me a while to figure out what they were..) If you can find the critical measurements, some work with some drills and a lathe might make ones that were serviceable for you, without spending hundreds of Euros..

I started building a wiring harness table/board yesterday and will finish it today. Then I'll pin the OEM harness to it and start splitting and labeling it.
    This process will teach me how to read and understand the wiring schematics in the manual.
    Not knowing the condition of your harness - but having built some K bike harnesses myself - I'd suggest taking all the tape off the existing harness and assessing the actual condition of it. If it's a case of hacked wires - you might consider doing a professional splice (with the correct soldering of the connections and shrink wrapping) to repair them. Repairing the harness will be much easier than reproducing it, and you'll have all the correct wire colors - trying to find purple with a gray pinstripe wire will be almost impossible.. (just an example..) Troubleshooting down the road with a home-made harness where the colors don't match the diagrams will be quite frustrating.

Or you might consider putting feelers out for a good used one. If you're patient these sort of things sometimes show up very cheap (I picked up a spare R1200R harness - complete and with 2 O2 sensors for $75 off ebay..) When I had a bad harness on my K75S (it caught fire.. not fun, too many un-fused wires in too tight a package) - someone on the IBMWR sent me a replacement, and refused to take any money for it.

Just a thought - there are sometimes other ways to skin a feline..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Thank you for the advice and pointers.

For the reason you mention about proper colored wire, I have found a company that will make custom colored tracers for not much more than stock.

Keep in mind this projects goals is more than just making it look new, it's a learning / teaching tool for me.

Since I have neither a proper drill press nor lathe, it would still be cheaper both in time and money just to bite the bullet and buy them.
    I hope not to but will if there are none that I can borrow.
    Let's grab the world by the scruff of the neck, And drink it down deeply, Let's love it to death - Rolling Stones

PM sent
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

Although I own no old K bikes I know I'm going to enjoy watching and learning from this thread as you progress. Admire your efforts!

Today I finally get the wiring harness board put together and hung.

This is the original 1993 fuel injection harness. I found a couple of holes and a cluster of cut wires.

I don't have a clue what those cut wires went to, but I'm sure I can find out. Clearly the bike run fine without them because these were not cut by me and I've had it since 1999.

Let's grab the world by the scruff of the neck, And drink it down deeply, Let's love it to death - Rolling Stones

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48

Next?

So, next with the harness, do you come in and peal off the wrappings and expose the individual wires? Then you can see what the colors/codes are on the hacked ones and compare to the diagram, I assume. Probably a security system?
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Yes and no.

See my next post.

On a side note:
    My husband asked me today what I wanted for Christmas and this is what I asked for.

http://www.mytoolsforyou.com/automot...JSP-95929.html

Quote Originally Posted by 58058D View Post
    So, next with the harness, do you come in and peal off the wrappings and expose the individual wires? Then you can see what the colors/codes are on the hacked ones and compare to the diagram, I assume. Probably a security system?

The following posts represent the deconstruction of the fuel injection wiring harness.

Some of the pics will have notes. All of the pics are intended to help me remember of what it looked like. After I make this post I'll take it off the board and set it aside for now. I'll leave all the zip ties holding the wires together to keep each cluster together for now.

Then I'll start on the main harness.

I did this to avoid cutting any wires while removing the covering.

Steve reminding me I cut this off while trying to scavenge parts for another project. I still have to connector.

As far as I can tell, the joining of the green/white wires and the yellow/brown wires must have been done this way due to assemble needs, not function needs.

I have a couple of observations.

One: If stupid is as stupid dose then I'm fairly stupid.

Two: Anything that hurts that bad should look worse.

Three: 18 year old electrical tape feels like baby snot mixed with contact cement.

Four: #11 Exacto blades rammed under thumb nails when Stupid forgot about not cutting towards one's self SUX!

Main wiring harness mounted on the board. Due to the large number of connections, I'm going to identify and tag each one before
    cutting it open.

At least it can't hurt, might help and looks good on paper.

I keep thinking this is one of those times where you might hear, "Hold my beer and watch this".

Posting on phone difficult.
    Only gonna put up a couple of pictures.

More blood

I know my project has not started until I have bloodied something. You now have a good start.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Please continue to post your progress with pics as your time permits. Your approach is very pragmatic, and would seem to ensure that mistakes will be minimized. All I can say is --->
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Rally Rat

Pin extractors

You might want to find a Snap-On dealer. They have them.
    Boxerbruce

WOW, holy crap batman. now thats what i call a full resto. great work,,,i have never done a k bike, plenty of r bikes but wow, i never realized how huge that motor is. you could put it in your car.
    The pursuit of reality at all cost.