Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Influence of place on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

On a similar theme, I just took a 25 question linguistics quiz I stumbled upon on Facebook. The questions were all about what a person calls things or how a person pronounces words. At the end it identifies locations you speak most like and the least like. It nailed me exactly based on where I have lived most of my life.
    I took the same quiz. It was fun.

It ID'd me as being from the general "south", with highlighted cities Birmingham and one other in AL, & Jackson, MS- none of which I've lived in.
    In truth, for a handful of the word choices, I call multiple things- A "big-rig" truck, for example, I would regularly call an 18 wheeler, a semi, a tractor-trailer, OR under the category of "other", simply a 53 footer.

A Large American cat? I break them into "categories" (ha ha) according to region. Mountain Lion, I associate as being from any mountainous region- we have them here in PA. Panther? Strictly gulf coast. Cougar? Rocky mountains. Catamount? Western NC.

So, tho somewhat generalized, it still nailed me as being basically "southern"- my family is more or less from "The Carolinas"- my dad's side from around Raleigh, and my mom's side from Sumter.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Who is the artist?
    Karen Daystar, She makes glass beads and bead jewelry, among other things. She's one of a handful of good friends in Penn's Valley.
    Some of her stuff can be seen in the little gallery across the street from Elk Creek Cafe.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Sometimes cliches are true, to wit: You can take the boy off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the boy. Or, "the city". Or the girl ...

On a more sinister note, the abused become abusers.

We are all, to a greater or lesser extent a product of our surroundings. But today, with a highly mobile society and folks living many many different places some folks become an amalgam of all of them.

On a similar theme, I just took a 25 question linguistics quiz I stumbled upon on Facebook. The questions were all about what a person calls things or how a person pronounces words. At the end it identifies locations you speak most like and the least like. It nailed me exactly based on where I have lived most of my life.
    Paul,

Is there a non-facebook version of the quiz? It sounds interesting, but I'm just not into Facebook.......
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Paul,

Is there a non-facebook version of the quiz? It sounds interesting, but I'm just not into Facebook.......
    It's actually a New York Times page, just linked to in Facebook. Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-quiz-map.html

I went thru it and it gave me an error on the last page. I'll try again later.
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Quote Originally Posted by markaz View Post
    It's actually a New York Times page, just linked to in Facebook. Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-quiz-map.html

I went thru it and it gave me an error on the last page. I'll try again later.
    Thanks for the web address. Considering that I've lived 92.5% of my life within 20 or 30 miles of the geographic center of Pennsylvania, I guess the test could be considered somewhat accurate, in my case.

Dialect test.jpg

My dialect is most dissimilar with

1) Jackson, MS, (No doubt)

2) Dayton, OH, (Completely baffles me) and

3) Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, (my wife's birthplace).

Now, I understand much more than before. The poor, wonderful lady just has no clue what I'm talking about..

Have a Merry Christmas and best wishes on getting a two wheeled gift.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744