Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Influence of place on who you are.

advrider.com
    Recently moving to Oklahoma has made me an even more obnoxious jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    Recently moving to Oklahoma has made me an even more obnoxious jerk.
    You need a girlfriend.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Douglas Williams
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    You need a girlfriend.
    ...or a cow.
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Cal
    "I am what I am."

Popeye
    Cal Garcia
    Suches, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    "I yam what I yam."

Popeye
    Fixed.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    While I agree that the influence of place is important, at the same time it also easily leads to far too much stereotypical thinking!
    For us Ohioans, all Michiganders are whacko!! This isn't an example of stereotypical thinking, is it? But what if it were true?

GO BUCKS!!!
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Born and raised just south of Boston. Lived in rural NH for the last 25 years. Can not imagine going to live back there and have very little in common with my relatives that still do. And they visit me and wonder why anyone would want to live in the middle of nowhere.

na1g
    Quote Originally Posted by pjjj3386 View Post
    Born and raised just south of Boston. Lived in rural NH for the last 25 years. Can not imagine going to live back there and have very little in common with my relatives that still do. And they visit me and wonder why anyone would want to live in the middle of nowhere.
    "I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city in the world." -someone told me Steve McQueen said that (seems unlikely so if you know, please post it.)

pete

advrider.com
    You need a girlfriend.
    No, I need to move. First job offer out of here and I will.

Eat crow

OK! This morning I will have to apologize to all you Michiganders out there! I will eat crow!

Oh well.

jlc
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    OK! This morning I will have to apologize to all you Michiganders out there! I will eat crow!

Oh well.

jlc
    It wasn't even Big Blue...it was the other place........That must be really hard
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

It wasn't even Big Blue...it was the other place........That must be really hard
    You can't imagine!!

However, I would never have apologized if it had been "that school up north." I would have just crawled out of sight and hoped that no one would remember me.

I will NEVER apologize for attacking "Big Blue." That's what keeps my metabolism in track - hating them and never apologizing for it!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    You can't imagine!!

However, I would never have apologized if it had been "that school up north." I would have just crawled out of sight and hoped that no one would remember me.

I will NEVER apologize for attacking "Big Blue." That's what keeps my metabolism in track - hating them and never apologizing for it!!
    While dear Ol'State did look like food processor remnants during and after the OSU game, the team could feel good about beating Big Blue. Beating the cheddar heads was a shock...

Things could have been worse...

BTW - my wife is from the land of Hot Dish and Lafsa. She has these comments about the King's English as spoken in central and western PA;

1) Where did the adjective "slippy" come from? As in .... "the sidewalk is slippy"......

2) How does one "take and do" something? Can't we just do it?

3) If I dust and vacuum, do I still need to read-up the room?

4) When is the beer all gone? When the bottle is empty.

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Agreed on "where we are from shapes us."

Hence the classic "American by birth: southern by the grace of God."

But I think that more than place, it is family that shapes us before we have enough knowledge or judgement to shape ourselves -- or to move elsewhere.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    I love the cultural and linguistic diversity of Atlantic Canada. Moved here from Maine just over 40 years ago (born in Canada and kidnapped to Maine by my parents). When I moved back here I had to learn to put an 'r' in my words. Cah became Car and I also learned that I seriously mispronounced words of French origin. I just came back from Key West and dang! if I didn't conclude that I could live there for a while as well. I am thinking that there must be some enticing parallels between the two places. Polite, hospitable and ready for a party seem most obvious. Having my old /5 in Key West could fit right in me thinks. Now, how to afford it. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA