Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: back rack R100RS

It's not been mentioned, but typically anything high and aft of the rear axle can destabilize things. It gets worse if there's a substantial weight there. Just having the box can create something for the wind to push on.

Just after I posted, I saw a similar suggestions in a different forum area:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...l=1#post911272
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    It's not been mentioned, but typically anything high and aft of the rear axle can destabilize things. It gets worse if there's a substantial weight there. Just having the box can create something for the wind to push on.
    That is why I have hesitated on buying the top case. I'm thinking about looking for one though. My son is six and I'm hoping in a few years he will be tall enough to ride on the back. Having the top case there as a backrest would be beneficial as would the additional storage. I prefer to ride with the side cases, since they provide some protection in case I drop the bike. Basically the side case cover is about 1/3 the cost to replace than the exhaust/silencer/muffler. I don't know if having the top case on with the side cases is better, worse or no different.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

My two cents again. The box cannot carry much, it is too small and the latching hardware is nothing to brag about. There is a quarter-turn ring inside that locks two pins to a plate slid on the rack. It never gave me any problems, but I also never let Sharon lean against it. It is just not that strong and I did not trust it. I often left my bags at home and used it to carry my lunch and store my gloves. I never put anything heavy there.

Go back and look what Kent posted. Item 5 is the latch, notice those two pins sticking out? They are not that strong, and the spring/lock the fit into is also weak.

Wayne

Until the adoption of the K-bike suspension and associated frame modifications with the 1985 models, BMW forbade top boxes on Airheads. It's not that suprising, then, that the box they finally approved is small. They do engineer this stuff.

Note: BMW forbids sidecar attachment to all its motorcycles since 1970, too--not that that stops anybody.

Two cultures in play here: Americans think it's cute. Germans think it's illegal.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

GermanAmericans are very conflicted. They think it's both illegal and cute at the same time.

Yes I have read many threads on the shortcomings of the 22L top case. I don't have to have one. I just want one. I use a cordura top case on my roadster. No saddlebags on that bike. This RS seems very stable at any speed though a little more weight up high can't help can it. If I find a deal on one I will likely go for it. Then I think there are two bit's to buy to make it work. Havent spoken to anyone that would know..like the guys at Max. I have plenty of time I think.
    Jim Gregory
    92 R100RS
    05 Sportster Roadster

85 R80RT with topcase

I've owned this bike for about four years.
    Last year I bought a used top case and brackets for it. It mounted up well and seems sturdy, as it ties into the side case brackets and the handle behind the seat.
    I will admit it looks small, but I keep two rain suits, a couple of light jackets and the book "Bottoms Up" in it all the time. These items would have to be carried in the side bags, so this frees up room for when we take trips. One bag per person.
    We have ridden in heavy rain and highish wind without difficulty.
    As i have said it looks small, but it's useful. Frank

If you do add the case you will need additional stuff. Rusty at MAX will help you. The bracket on your bike is close, but it has to be modified with more parts. They raise the mount up and make it stronger. Here is a shot of the parts needed from their site. Look for the last R100RT's, some of them (like mine) came standard with the box, among other things. What I don't see is the plate for the box itself. That may come with the box, but you will need it to mount it in place. It is item 2 in Kent's diagram.
    Attached Images Attached Images

85 r80 rt

The used top case I bought came with the parts in item #8. It consisted of a rack and the 2 braces to the side bag brackets. along with all fastening hardware.
    You might have luck checking ads or calling used BMW parts business for the complete setup.
    It's abit off topic, but TOOLDTOCARE can I ask what seat you have on your bike in the picture. It looks quite abit more comfortable than the stock one on mine. Nice
    Last edited by franko; 12-08-2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: second thought

orig luggage roll

Hi Jim

If your interested, I've attached an image from the 1985 "Equipment" brochure of the luggage rack and luggage roll. When I bought my 85 R80, I bought the luggage rack ($60) but not the roll.

Two years ago I added the classic motor cases (as they call them) to my bike. At first I thought it was over kill just to carry my lunch to work but then I realized I could carry gear in the other case to accommodate for weather changes while away from home.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1985 R80 Original owner

Quote Originally Posted by jimbc View Post
    Hi Jim

If your interested, I've attached an image from the 1985 "Equipment" brochure of the luggage rack and luggage roll. When I bought my 85 R80, I bought the luggage rack ($60) but not the roll.

Two years ago I added the classic motor cases (as they call them) to my bike. At first I thought it was over kill just to carry my lunch to work but then I realized I could carry gear in the other case to accommodate for weather changes while away from home.

Cheers
    That roll would be perfect!
    Jim Gregory
    92 R100RS
    05 Sportster Roadster

I mentioned Aerostich...they have a variety of tail bags and duffels:

http://www.aerostich.com/bags/seat-b...bags/tail-bags

http://www.aerostich.com/bags/more-p...cs-and-duffels
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I mentioned Aerostich...they have a variety of tail bags and duffels:

http://www.aerostich.com/bags/seat-b...bags/tail-bags

http://www.aerostich.com/bags/more-p...cs-and-duffels
    There is a bunch of them out there actually. Trick is finding an aftermarket bag that will mount on that tiny rack nicely and hold it's shape empty.
    Jim Gregory
    92 R100RS
    05 Sportster Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by JGREGOR1.JG View Post
    There is a bunch of them out there actually. Trick is finding an aftermarket bag that will mount on that tiny rack nicely and hold it's shape empty.
    You don't want much, do you!

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JGREGOR1.JG View Post
    That roll would be perfect!
    Get yourself a small or medium Ortlieb waterproof Hi Viz bag and a set of Rok Straps.
    Been using them for years. Simple, tough, totally waterproof.
    I use a large size on my oilhead RT and a medium size on my G/S.
    Done like dinner.

Just saw them on sale here: http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-11...rack-pack.aspx
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT