Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: back rack R100RS

back rack R100RS

Hey guys
    Was there ever anything actually made to fit this tiny rack? Like a small top case or something? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Jim Gregory
    92 R100RS
    05 Sportster Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by JGREGOR1.JG View Post
    Hey guys
    Was there ever anything actually made to fit this tiny rack? Like a small top case or something? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Just my opinion but.....I think the best ever for the Airhead was the Reynolds , extending rack. In the normal position it was 'forward' over the tail section, but the rear could be raised slightly & then pulled back, to access the tail section / under seat storage .....without any removal of anything......it was slick! It was also strong and about 9X9 ?...and had provision for mounting a back rest, you could mount about anything on it. I'm sure others here are familiar.

If you cruise ebay, etc I'm thinking you could find one. There is a place called Re-Pscycle BMW in Lithopolis , Oh. They 'specialize' in older BMW parts / accessories.....I'd suggest starting there if you're interested.

I have an 85 R80RT that I bought new. I think that was the first year for this rack. I do not believe that BMW ever made a hard case for that rack since the rack is not tied into the rear frame - just the fiberglass tail. They did offer a duffel bag with straps that matched the slots in the rack.

I bought the BMW duffel bag and I think that the paperwork said not to put more than few pounds of gear in it. I use it to carry a backpacking tent and ground cloth since the tent poles can be put in the bottom to keep the bag from sagging onto the paint.

I think that the police versions of these bikes had a small top case, but I can't recall what that case was mounted on. One of the online fiche sites would probably show those parts.

Quote Originally Posted by MonoRT View Post
    I have an 85 R80RT that I bought new. I think that was the first year for this rack. I do not believe that BMW ever made a hard case for that rack since the rack is not tied into the rear frame - just the fiberglass tail. They did offer a duffel bag with straps that matched the slots in the rack.

I bought the BMW duffel bag and I think that the paperwork said not to put more than few pounds of gear in it. I use it to carry a backpacking tent and ground cloth since the tent poles can be put in the bottom to keep the bag from sagging onto the paint.

I think that the police versions of these bikes had a small top case, but I can't recall what that case was mounted on. One of the online fiche sites would probably show those parts.
    I would like that duffle..Right now just looking for something with a small footprint
    Jim Gregory
    92 R100RS
    05 Sportster Roadster

I would like that duffle..Right now just looking for something with a small footprint
    Check out Aerostich's website. They have a whole variety of duffles, Ortlieb dry bags, etc.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Last edited by lkchris; 12-04-2013 at 09:38 PM.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I'll keep my eye out for a 22 litre top case. Thanks guys
    Jim Gregory
    92 R100RS
    05 Sportster Roadster

I had one on my 92 RT when I bought it. With the hinges in the rear, it emptied itself one day when the wind blew the lid open. May be another candidate for the universal Airhead bungee or nylon strap (plus it doesn't hold much). I now use that space for a RotopaX mount.

Same problem

Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
    I had one on my 92 RT when I bought it. With the hinges in the rear, it emptied itself one day when the wind blew the lid open. May be another candidate for the universal Airhead bungee or nylon strap (plus it doesn't hold much). I now use that space for a RotopaX mount.
    I've had two of those, one on a R100RT, the other on a K100RT. On both bikes I had the lid open at speed because I did not latch it correctly, other than that they worked fine.

Wayne

I'll keep my eye out for a 22 litre top case. Thanks guys
    From what I've been told and read, the 22 litre top case for the first generation K bikes and the airheads are the same. However, the top case requires a different rack than what's on your bike. I looked into getting the top case from my 88 RT, but never did.

Edit: I never explored the case much, due to the cost of the support brackets. $350 new from BMW. I haven't seen many with the bracket for sale.
    Last edited by 88bmwjeff; 12-06-2013 at 12:24 AM.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

I think I just have to find a soft roll bag or something that will just bungee on. Or maybe just leave it as is for odd shaped stuff to bungee on. Have yet to hear anything good about the 22l top case.
    Jim Gregory
    92 R100RS
    05 Sportster Roadster

Something good: it's original equipment and looks like it. I think you can match key to the others.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Something good: it's original equipment and looks like it. I think you can match key to the others.
    HA..That is something good. Actually very good.
    Thanks Kent.
    Jim Gregory
    92 R100RS
    05 Sportster Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    That is a good point. As noted already, the rack you have is not the correct one, but it is close. Here is a photo of the factory box on my RT. It does match the other luggage and it works. Just be sure it is latched before riding off, since it swings to the back to open. If latched, all is ok.

Wayne
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post
    That is a good point. As noted already, the rack you have is not the correct one, but it is close. Here is a photo of the factory box on my RT. It does match the other luggage and it works. Just be sure it is latched before riding off, since it swings to the back to open. If latched, all is ok.

Wayne
    I like it. Would rather have that on and side cases off for the work commute. Just carry my lunch and rainsuit is all.
    Jim Gregory
    92 R100RS
    05 Sportster Roadster