Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Recomendation for exhaust

I think the gpr sounds great, i to have thought about carfully cutting open the cat and gutting it out. are they welded inside big time, i gutted one out on a crusier model, a febel attempt at best because of the way it was welded at every nook an cranny.
    The pursuit of reality at all cost.

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    First question has to be "Why?".
    Second question is how much dough you want to spend.
    For me, the stock system is too quiet; I'm not looking for more power. From observing other BMWs, most owners leave the stock system on. This is a totally subjective thing, and on my other fun machine, I left the stock system on; it sounds just right. But on my boxers, I've installed aftermarket systems.

As for cost, riding is a hobby, and if I wasn't spending $1,500 on a Remus, I might be spending that amount on a brass locomotive, if I was a model railroader, or on a first day cover, if I was a philatelist.

I like Remus because they make OEM stuff for BMW, and have a big R & D department. Oh, and they sound just right.
    Last edited by RINTY; 12-08-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    For me, the stock system is too quiet; I'm not looking for more power. From observing other BMWs, most owners leave the stock system on. This is a totally subjective thing, and on my other fun machine, I left the stock system on; it sounds just right. But on my boxers, I've installed aftermarket systems.

As for cost, riding is a hobby, and if I wasn't spending $1,500 on a Remus, I might be spending that amount on a brass locomotive, if I was a model railroader, or on a first day cover, if I was a philatelist.

I like Remus because they make OEM stuff for BMW, and have a big R & D department. Oh, and they sound just right.
    I played around with a SuperTrapp muffler on my '00 1100RT. This eliminated the cat and O2 sensor so the bike ran open loop only and subsequently very rich. Mileage suffered a bit and at first the sound of the big twin was fun especially around town. Then the summer rally season got underway and it was all long rides. I adjusted the number of cones to muffle it as low as possible but honestly after a long day in the saddle the noise was too much and actually bothered me. My riding buddies found it loud (and smelly) from behind.

I put the stock pipe back on and have not looked back. It could do with a richer tone perhaps but I think I prefer the quiet. Later on I got involved with Roger04RT in beta testing his AF-XiED on the 1100 and as a result I've now installed an Innovate LC-1 on my bike to enjoy the benefits of this great O2 sensor shifting device. I guess having a bike that sounds great is one thing but having one that runs great is really the ticket in my case. I don't see after market pipes doing anything on that front so I reckon I don't need them.

That said they do look and sound cool!
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I had SuperTrapps on my R100RS, and the noise from them started bothering me after a time. Had I kept the bike, I would have adjusted the numbers of discs to quieten it down. The Remus systems on my next two Boxers give a nice snarl at 3,500 rpm and over, and aren't tiring at cruise. You can hear them while accelerating, they resonate off cliff faces, and there is a nice symphony while running the twisties in the Kootenays.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Does anyone make an s pipe so as to hook any kind of can on it, iam not worried about open loop because i use the dobec 1031 fuel management system. open loop closed loop whatever it is, thanks folks. and yes i like to hear my boxer motors, the stock system is jes to quiet. (the 1031 eliminates the 02 censor)
    The pursuit of reality at all cost.