Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter

I hate to admit it, but I love using my snowblower and usually help a couple of neighbors just because its sort of fun!

Now about the plow guy, how the heck does he know to come back down the road as soon as you finish your driveway? Rat Bastiches!
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
    I hate to admit it, but I love using my snowblower and usually help a couple of neighbors just because its sort of fun!

Now about the plow guy, how the heck does he know to come back down the road as soon as you finish your driveway? Rat Bastiches!
    I'll get the driveway clean in the evenings, and of course, without fail, the snowplow, will usually fill in the apron during the night. Fortunately a neighbour has a snow plowing business and on his way home, he'll clean about five of our plowed in driveways with his truck.

Most of the time I can beat the apron being plowed in by snow blowing the road in front of our curb, leaving the plow with little snow to dump into our driveway.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Around here, we refer to it as the "beginning of four-wheel-drive season"...

Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Riding season not done.

Maybe I am a little optimistic, but I just going to add a couple of lights and not store my bike. I hope as a few years you got some 40/50 degree days in January. Anti riding weather came early this year, and I hardly got out late October and only once in November.
    Today, more then 6" and more rest of week: I will find someone who knows a anti winter dance, and get them to dance for good weather.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

I keep it ready to go all winter long. This time of year I usually run the tank down on what I think would be my last long ride and then fill it up and add stabilizer at the station nearest my home. I give it a good wash and wax, and roll it into the garage. After that its on the Tender and ready to go on any day the roads are clear of salt and its warm enough for a ride.

The biggest problem is keeping that salt from doing its damage so it has to be warm enough for a good rinse when I get home.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Another inch and a half last night. Dry, dry dry. Snow that's dying of thirst.
    No more wind, makes it right tolerable.
    It's just me and my shovel, looked up and there's a big flyover of geese at a couple three thousand feet.
    Yeah right ask me again in February.

Middle of MN the sub zero temps came about one month sooner than usual. Check the thermometer every morn, few days back, -14F, several days when temps didn't exceed zero F, this morn it was -9 and at noon still -2F. Total snow on the table is eight inches. Not too bad. Hoping that the early low temps means winter will end sooner.

Tanks hang high and dry, FD is going to get some service this winter. Also picked up a 77-78 tranny, a surprise Xmas present for the bike, little rough but supposed to be a runner, just I case the old original '74 kicker shards to pieces. Hear tell there are some parts in the early kickers that are NLA and are extremely expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Middle of MN the sub zero temps came about one month sooner than usual. Check the thermometer every morn, few days back, -14F, several days when temps didn't exceed zero F, this morn it was -9 and at noon still -2F. Total snow on the table is eight inches. Not too bad. Hoping that the early low temps means winter will end
    Wow! Those temps are crazy cold! We've been below normal here too, but nothing like that! Sounds like a good time to do that maintenance.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

We had 7 inches of snow last week which gave us some of the best cross-country skiing and snow shoeing we have had for several years.
    It was great to get out and enjoy it.
    Hated to see it melt yesterday.
    This is a picture of a golf course that is nice for skiing.
    The wooded parks were really great, but I did not take any pictures.

P1000465.jpg
    Nardowell
    Hoa Binh (Peace)
    Vietnam '69 and '70
    2012 R1200R classic

Forecast for Today
    Updated: Dec 21, 5:45am EST

Sunny and 70s

http://www.pleasureislandnc.org/

Sorry guys. We never put our motorcycles up for storage. I am going to ride today. Big BBQ tomorrow.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Ah there's always one in the bunch...come back again in July when we can read another 4 pages about " how to keep a dry bottom" or how to stay hydrated when its 95 degrees and 90% humidity.

I'd rather have winter! We just move to snowmobiles and ski slopes. Went skiing Wednesday, and had a blast!

And then, when we get the inevitable warm spell and some rain to clear the roads of salt I'm right back out on the bike - that's why BMW gave us heated seats and grips! A little variety is good for the soul.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Update me

Interesting weather system just passed.
    Actually they all interest me to more or less a degree. Strange like that.
    We had quite a bit of rain yesterday that wanted to go ice but never quite got there thank you.
    Freeze line seemed like it straddled us for a while but . . . . no ice.
    Back side of the storm brought a half inch, maybe 3/4 of high moisture content stuff.
    My trusty shovel and I took care of that.
    Safe travels

It's 62 right now in NY with enough rain forecast that the roads should be washed salt free in time for a Christmas Ride!

The snow is gone for now, even my yard is clear. Crazy weather pattern for sure, I guess the skis go back into the corner and the Bike is coming off of the tender! Yeah Boy, lets Ride!
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Just got back in from blowing 6 inches off the drive and sidewalk, more coming down. 28 degrees F right now, but we have seen sub-zero in the past week or so.

On that note, had 3 sleds in the shop the past couple days, similar issues. Batteries were FROZEN. Combination of low temps and no maintenance. One battery may live, but the others will be replaced. So if you have to store the bikes for the winter, occasionally charge the battery and check the fluid level. It's cheaper that way.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

What a view

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    This is what I saw when my garage door opened last week, Sunday morning, November 24th!!!

Riding season might be over around my place.

Attachment 42568
    Hey! The view from your garage is a carbon copy of what I see from mine.....snowblower and all. We have been clearing snow for 3 weeks now and bitter cold..calling for.-25 c again tonight...........too much. .....Tracks on the ATV will be handy again this winter.
    Happy hibernating.....rob.