Thread: Winter

Hybrid View

Winter

Just put my bike away for the winter. Sad, but at least got a few hundred miles in yesterday.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

We spent most of the week below freezing, but got some sunshine and temps in the 40's today. It was good enough for a 50 miler!
    Dan

Good for you, Karen! It's always hard to put them away for the winter. Ours will be going on the tenders this week.

Have a great winter, and we'll see you in the spring!

Cheryl

Mine is still in the garage!
    *he said defiantly*

I just can't bring myself to do it.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    It's depressing, really. We had our first significant snowfall of the season forecast so I put both bikes in the shop to clear some workspace in the garage. We got a foot of snow, which slid off the roof and blocked the shop doors while I was at work. It being dark and wet with showers when I got home I never noticed the blockage. Then the temps dropped to around zero and the wet snow froze into a solid block of ice blocking the bikes' escape route.

So it either warms up enough to melt the ice...or I get desperate and attack it with a pickaxe...or I call it quits for the year. Nope, can't do that yet!
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Seeing as I hadn't seen any deer during the firearms season, I "unloaded" my muzzleloader, cleaned it and put it away yesterday. Today I went for a ride on the Airhead. Felt good, and still didn't see any deer, which, given my history, was a good thing.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    It's depressing, really. We had our first significant snowfall of the season forecast so I put both bikes in the shop to clear some workspace in the garage. We got a foot of snow, which slid off the roof and blocked the shop doors while I was at work. It being dark and wet with showers when I got home I never noticed the blockage. Then the temps dropped to around zero and the wet snow froze into a solid block of ice blocking the bikes' escape route.

So it either warms up enough to melt the ice...or I get desperate and attack it with a pickaxe...or I call it quits for the year. Nope, can't do that yet!
    Forget the pickaxe, go straight to the chainsaw. You will not need any bar oil either.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar
    -15 f, wind chill - 35 f, glad the bus showed up on time.
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."

Propane supplies are being depleted in the upper Great Plains. Gas pipeline blew up in Manitoba. Just heard a climate expert predict a February colder than ever, and this cold snap is rivaling '76 and '17 of the previous century.

In passing he mentioned it has nothing to do with carbon dioxide and other stuff that cannot be mentioned or it will be political, go figure. Batten down the hatches, hope there's enough natural gas to last the winter. In the middle of making a big pot of borscht for the next three days. I'm getting a little concerned, if you know what I mean.

Good news, just got another cool riding jacket.

Man, they lied.
    That was -13 not -20.
    Sheesh
    We did -18 already and it didn't make headlines.
    Everything is relative.
    It is what it is.
    Embrace Winter or it will beat you every year.
    I think its beautiful

I meant I was concerned about the borscht, every time it's made it tastes different. Stir in a little sour cream, grab a piece of buttered bread and pass out after supper.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Propane supplies are being depleted in the upper Great Plains.
    I keep the garage heated to 40* with propane, last delivery was $2.91 9/10ths. Yesterday's delivery was $3.41 9/10ths. Pretty good jump in about 26 days. Our (municipal) electric rates aren't too bad, if propane keeps going up I will be abel to heat with the electric for the same or less. At least I have a choice.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

iscream-stop
    I am feeling pretty down with the weather. I registered for the Moonshine Lunch Run yesterday and it really made me depressed. Today I had to go spend some quality time in the garage making sure she was warm dry and the wipe some dust off and circulate some lube. I came in smelling of exhaust so I feel a little better but weather forecast is not looking good. It was 26 today and I just kept thinking, "I could go for a short ride" but the ice and snow is still everywhere and very wide spread so it would not be the smartest.
    I think I need to start going to a support group of people who understand my problems, I have been trying to talk to some but just keep getting weird looks like I am off my rocker or something. At least I get to go to the IMS show next weekend in Chicago.

Hope no one was out in the snow and ice down south. The news was shocking with people simply parking where they were stuck, and walking away.

Quote Originally Posted by i-scream-stop View Post
    I am feeling pretty down with the weather. I registered for the Moonshine Lunch Run yesterday and it really made me depressed. Today I had to go spend some quality time in the garage making sure she was warm dry and the wipe some dust off and circulate some lube. I came in smelling of exhaust so I feel a little better but weather forecast is not looking good. It was 26 today and I just kept thinking, "I could go for a short ride" but the ice and snow is still everywhere and very wide spread so it would not be the smartest.
    I think I need to start going to a support group of people who understand my problems, I have been trying to talk to some but just keep getting weird looks like I am off my rocker or something. At least I get to go to the IMS show next weekend in Chicago.
    Suggestion- leave the "lube" sitting in the sump, where it belongs. you're giving your bike NO benefit whatsoever to start it up during it's winter slumbers. Oil does NOT need to be circulated for the health of the bike, and unless you run the bike to the point of your fan going on, you're actually doing more harm than good by dumping water (condensation is a byproduct of the combustion process) into the exhaust.

Like Nancy said those many moons ago.... Just Say No.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots