Thread: G650GS down shifting

G650GS down shifting

Has anyone had a problem with down shifting on a 2010 g650gs going from 2nd gear to 1st it goes into neutral not first only 7000 miles on the clock ?
    Dan D
    san francisco

Summer in Lakes Region of NH and winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ

Still in warrantee?

If it is I'd get it into a dealer asap. I've ridden hundreds of motorcycles and never had that problem. More often it will go right down to first and neutral will be hard to find, especially if the clutch is dragging a bit or the primary oil is cold. I suspect a bent shift fork. Will it go into first from neutral? Starting off? Is it a never or always sort of thing or does it sometimes shift ok? I trust you have looked for the obvious things such as an obstructed or bent shift lever? Let us know what you find.
    2002 F650GS, 1998 R1100R 75th anniversary edition, 1983 R80RT (just sold), 1959 R60 (in restoration), Honda CT90
    If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.

I have a 2012 G650GS and have never had a problem. Is the bike still under warrenty???
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by rdhudson View Post
    If it is I'd get it into a dealer asap. I've ridden hundreds of motorcycles and never had that problem. More often it will go right down to first and neutral will be hard to find, especially if the clutch is dragging a bit or the primary oil is cold. I suspect a bent shift fork. Will it go into first from neutral? Starting off? Is it a never or always sort of thing or does it sometimes shift ok? I trust you have looked for the obvious things such as an obstructed or bent shift lever? Let us know what you find.
    It will go into first after neutral and then change into second no problem but when I come to a stop light change to first it is in neutral not first this happens 6 out of 10 times dealer said there is nothing wrong when they test rode the bike .
    Dan D
    san francisco

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    I have a 2012 G650GS and have never had a problem. Is the bike still under warrenty???
    I have exact same bike & shifts like most BMW'si.e., clunky w/balky neutral search @ times but otherwise no problemo. Maybe was too cold for the machine to be out playing?

take your ? to ADV "g650GS thread in Thumpers & to F650 forum for far more looks.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Eats dirt and leaves. kurtzinpa's Avatar
    Winters, CA for the winter... is that an oxymoran?

neutral in parking lots

Dear Abby,

G650GS Sertao... rode hard... I can find neutral between 2nd and 3rd in middle of a river crossing but not in McD parking lot.

Am I shiftless?

KurtzinPA

Mcd parking lot?- go play in a river...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Shifting issues

My G650GS has had shifting issues on occasion. There seems to be many neutrals hidden in the gear box. At times It will not stay in first gear, it slides back to neutral. Maybe because it is a long throw shift lever?
    Bill P