Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Michelin Pilot Road 4 or 4 GT

Thought I'd revive this thread to see how people are liking the PR4s so far. Please tell me they suck. I'm just getting ready to put on a set of PR3s because the local shop has the PR3s in stock and I need to be on the road, but if he had the PR4s I'd probably give them a try. I have to say, I loved this set of PR3s and as someone said earlier, it's hard to believe that Michelin could actually improve on those. For the record, I got 10,049 miles out of them. Thought I was going to get another 1500 or so but I totally evaporated the remaining tread this weekend at the BMW Getaway in Western NC.
    txmxrider
    2004 KTM 300 EXC
    1999 BMW R1100S
    2003 BMW K1200GT

Yeah the last 1500 miles of tread goes faster than the last 1/8 of a tank. I was eager to lose my Battlecraps after making it home from Big Bend on belts - and happy to get PR4s fresh after release - but accidentally ordered a GT front and regular rear. Everything seems well on the road and the bike has never felt better. Very confidence-inspiring for me. The only negative thing I've ever read about them is the response is a little numbed for those more used to razor-precise handling sport tires. I sure don't notice.

Just curious if anyone is using the standard (non GT) PR4s on an R1200RT. I'm in need of new tires and can't wait for the GTs to come off back order. I'm assuming the standard PR4s will be fine just as the PR3s were.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast"
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - Retired and sold

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Still trying to wear out a set of PR3's

7k and rolling just fine!

'02 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    Just curious if anyone is using the standard (non GT) PR4s on an R1200RT. I'm in need of new tires and can't wait for the GTs to come off back order. I'm assuming the standard PR4s will be fine just as the PR3s were.
    Nate
    Long beach bmw says no issue getting the GT's

Yeah, my local dealer has them too. I just have the problem with paying full MSRP ($400+) when they are available everywhere else for 40% off.
    Nate R

GT availability

I got my PR4-GTs from Revzilla two weeks ago, 3 days after ordering. PErhaps the demand even has them out of the tire. I really like them on my 2013 RT which came with ME Z8.

Wow!

My first reaction when I pulled out of Detroit BMW on our R1200RT with a fresh set of MPR 4's, not the GT. I can't believe how terrible my stock Bridgestones where. Instantly the ride changed, and when I finally got on I 75 at speed I had a smile ear to ear. With 5000 miles on the old rubber i was hesitant to go with new tires yet because there was still plenty of treat left but the Bridgestones did show considerable cupping. I have never made an improvement on a bike that changed the ride as much as this. Yes my old tires where bad but these Road Pilots instill such confidence. After nearly 12 hours of aggressive riding in southern Ohio in on again off again rain with heavy storms at times these tires are amazing. With clean fresh pavement you are able to easily control a smooth slide with no surprises. Some areas we rode in had running water and obviously we to took it easy but the bike stayed planted solid. This change made the RT feel so much more comfortable in turns, and eliminated the howl i had with the old tires.

I should report on my PR4s. I have had them for several months now. And I just returned from over 4000 miles thru' Idaho and Montana and all from here to there.
    The tires are excellent. Better than the 3s.
    And, like all Michelin, way better than Bridgestone. Or Continental.
    dc

I think I had over 14,000 on the 3s when I put the 4s on. And the 3s still looked good.

GT or non GT?

Hey everyone!
    I'm in need of some new rubber on my 2013 R1200R, currently wore out my Metzler Z8's. I think I'm going to go with the new Michelin PR4's but can't decide on the standard or GT. Michelin's site says to use the standard, not the GT, but, I do lot's of travelling with my BMW panniers and top case, I believe the same as the RT panniers. And on top of that a duffle with my tent gear on the seat behind me. Never ride two up, at least not yet. I realize that my R is lighter than the RT without the faring, but that's really about it. I'm talking the air/oil cooled RT, not the LC.
    I'm thinking of going with the GT's but am a bit concerned about harshness and handling without the luggage.
    Opinions?

cheers!

Good luck finding a PR4GT 180/55-17; at least online. To paraphrase Yogi, No one buys them anymore, they're too popular.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

My dealer claims he can get them, and I have found a Canadian online store that has them in stock. The dealer of course charges a premium and will NOT install tires purchased elsewhere. I'm thinking now that 15% stiffer sidewalls may not be a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bhbutler View Post
    Hey everyone!
    I'm in need of some new rubber on my 2013 R1200R, currently wore out my Metzler Z8's. I think I'm going to go with the new Michelin PR4's but can't decide on the standard or GT. Michelin's site says to use the standard, not the GT, but, I do lot's of travelling with my BMW panniers and top case, I believe the same as the RT panniers. And on top of that a duffle with my tent gear on the seat behind me. Never ride two up, at least not yet. I realize that my R is lighter than the RT without the faring, but that's really about it. I'm talking the air/oil cooled RT, not the LC.
    I'm thinking of going with the GT's but am a bit concerned about harshness and handling without the luggage.
    Opinions?

cheers!
    I'm running GTs on my ST which weighs less than your R and I am mostly empty when I ride. The GTs handle well and don't feel harsh to me at all.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Thanks Royce, appreciate the feedback!

cheers!

Been running the stock PR4s on my '13 R1200RT for the last 5000 miles. I commute and tend to carry a lot of stuff as well as do a lot of railing in the hills and these tires have been great. GTs may have a different feel, but the standard PR4s are just fine.
    Nate R