Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Michelin Pilot Road 4 or 4 GT

Got some miles to go on my P3's before they need replacement, did put a order in at my dealer for a pair of the GT's for my 1600 their estimate is middle of February for arrival

I just had the PR4 GTs mounted on my K16. So far so good, I was only able to play for 200 miles today, but so far, I like them a lot, I think they feel a bit better that the 3s. Time will tell.

BTW, the side wall is beefy, similar to the old B model.
    Phil Space
    Springfield, VA
    12 K1600GT - Arrest Me Red
    09 F800GS

The GTs are the B tire of the PR3 series.
    So I want the non GT version.
    The information is that the tires are now available here, in Central California. I will check when back in southern California.
    dc

Got my pre order notice today from my usual supplier, Competition Accessories.
    Noted that the PR4 and PR4 GT series have both a front and rear tire.
    Also noted the Michelin claim of 20% better mileage than a PR3!!! Plus the new construction that is supposed to add some of the ruggedness of bias plies while keeping the radial ride quality.

If the mileage claim is true we might be seeing as much as 14K on a rear in touring duty when only a few years ago I routinely got 7K on PR2 rears - this based on extrapolation from what I'm getting on PR3s. That will be very nice if correct!!

So I put my first pair of PR4GT on order- $313 the set with free shipping IIRC. Not sure when they'll show up but in the past when CA has taken pre orders- stuff shows up in 2-3 weeks..

Revzilla says anticipated delivery April.
    M C Tires, the famous motorcycle tire shop here for nearly the last 40 years says next business day.
    I will put 700 more miles and then I'll have 13,000 on the PR 3s.
    Oh, and yes, there is a front and a rear. Don't put the front tire on the rear, and don't put the rear tire on the front.
    It would look too funny.
    dc

My first set of PR4 GTs were delivered from Competition Accessories on 1/8/14

The front looks almost the same as a PR3 except the grooves and sipes are wider and look a bit deeper

The rear is similar to the PR3 though the grooves are wider, longer, in a slightly different pattern which includes a center set of grooves and wear indicator dots- no excuses for hitting the cords on this one. Again the grooves look deeper than a 3.

I didn't have a tread gauge handy but the grooves that appear deeper may be the indicator of why Michelin is claiming 30% more life than a PR3.

I would imagine the formula may be different, too. You probably can't see that. The formula for the compound or rubber or whatever.
    I imagine a lot of science or technology or chemistry goes into that. You know, mixing, and adding additives, like that.
    I have heard or been told that they are available now. But I'm going to wait just a bit longer til I hit 13000 on my 3s, and til they work the bugs out. You know, adjust that formula a little one way or the other.
    And fine tune the machinery.
    I don't want to be a beta tester on those tires.
    dc

Would also expect some rubber differences- tire companies do that pretty routinely. Don't have a durometer where I keep my bikes and that is still a bit limited in what it can tell me.
    Understand not wanting to be a beta tester- I rarely volunteer for that on anything, especially machine related bits. Much prefer others to deal with beta issues. But I don't look at the PR4 quite that way after a recent half dozen years of very good experience with several types of Pilot Powers and Pilot Roads on a range of bikes to the extent I've made them the std tire for all the street bikes in our garage- I always have a spare set or 2 on hand. Michelin has long been the industry leader on tire manufacturing technologies, for example, introducing the modern tire mini plant concept which has radically altered traditional methods. (I was no fan of their street cage radials like the xAS in the 1970s- they all hydroplaned too easily for my tastes due to inadequate tread patterns and I ended up removing a couple sets at 5/32 remaining tread because the handling in the wet had deteriorated to unacceptable).

Whether the PR4 will live up to the mileage claims is unsettled, of course. (I expect we'll have to wait until at least the end of this year to get a reasonable number of user reports on that). But I don't believe that Michelin has gone backwards now after years of solid progress. Their tire profiles promote the type of handling I prefer for street use, also, compared to some others. Still, there may be a small chance that they're using a "harder" rubber that will hurt wet or cold traction though my visual inspection suggests they're likely using a different approach.

And it didn't hurt that the promo price for the PR4 was lower than the price for the PR3.

I've read about some rare, very odd problems with PR3s (eg extremely soft tires that came apart after very few miles) but never seen or directly known anyone in our local club with any such problems.

Can't wait for my stock Battlecraps to be done with so I can get some PR4s. They have them in stock here at Road Rider in San Jose.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast"
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - Retired and sold

Yep, I just got a set from Revzilla. They look very nice, will get them mounted next week when I'm back in town. Amazingly, I ordered late Wed night and they had them on my doorstep Friday noon.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    2012 R1200RT
    2012 Super Tenere
    2001 R1100RT (sold)

I jes turned 500miles on my new pr4gts, the jury is still out.
    The pursuit of reality at all cost.

trumpetman

trumpetman

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    I have 11,300 on my PR3 tires. So by January when these new tires will be available, I will be itching for new tires.
    I'm itching now, but I want to wait for the 4s.
    My tires still look good, but when the time comes, I need to know:
    Why would I want the GT tire rather than the ordinary Pilot Road 4 tire?
    I see that the GT will be the tire on the latest RTs.
    I have an 08 RT.
    Does anybody know this yet? Or must I want til some riders get and use these tires?
    dc
    I'm really impressed wth the mileage report on the PR3's. It was time to replace the Metzler Z8's which did not hold up like I wanted. It gets expensiveness replacing tires every 6 to 7k. I did the research and went with the PR4's. And yes, your dealer can get them. I got the GT's per advice from dealer. The GT's are supposedly for the heavier bikes like the RT, but truth is, since I never have a passenger I do not think GT's were necessary. So far I am very impressed with the tire. The depth of the tread is very apparently deep and the scipes are impressive. When going into a hard curve you can actually feel the friction dynamics shift from the centerline of the tire to the sides where the material is softer for better grip. I really like these new tires

I have 17,000 miles on the PR3s on my 2011 R1200RT. Plenty of tread still available but front has some ridging. Will be replacing soon with another pair of PR3 or PR4
    RadRider
    2014 S1000R,2014 Ural Gear Up, 2011 R1200RT, 2011 G650GS
    MOA #118928
    IBA # 46323

[QUOTE
    Pilot Road 4 Trail for adventure touring bikes ridden exclusively on the road
    [/I][/QUOTE]

I used the 3's on my K bike and absolutely loved them.... Now I have a F700 GS and would like to put Michelin tires on her once the original tires wear out, but would be concerned that the 4 trail tire may not do the trick when riding on gravel roads.... I'd like to hear opinions on whether this trail tire is strictly a road tire or if it follows the 80/20 rule that I will most likely be using my new GS.....

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    I would imagine the formula may be different, too. You probably can't see that. The formula for the compound or rubber or whatever.
    I imagine a lot of science or technology or chemistry goes into that. You know, mixing, and adding additives, like that.
    I have heard or been told that they are available now. But I'm going to wait just a bit longer til I hit 13000 on my 3s, and til they work the bugs out. You know, adjust that formula a little one way or the other.
    And fine tune the machinery.
    I don't want to be a beta tester on those tires.
    dc
    I haven't stepped in a tire plant since 1973 but if you google "tread rubber ingredients" the wiki lists the same stuff they were piling onto the conveyor for the trip into the banbury mill (huge mixer that chemically combines the goodies) as when I was there. Same stuff. I was in that area for over two years so had a good feel for what went in the hopper. One of my best friends (had a college degree too & great fb player) drove the fork lifts that serviced the mills with pallet loads of this same stuff I speak of. I just don't buy the "reinvented new technology concept of a tire" as sold to us each tire model change.
    The fibers that are used now have changed some & various angles as they are applied to the carcass & % of this and that(rubber recipe) may have changed but sameo basic stuff, otherwise.
    I fully agree MC tires have improved but mostly hype and recipe "adjustments" IMO, not some "secret ingredient" that creates a magical road experience . I used to work some near the lab where they broke down the tires for "analyzation" & would watch the process as they ground away layers of tires,etc., and I asked questions from a "greasy guys point of view". It didn't impress me as something on the order of trying to get to the moon...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.