Thread: Man or critter ?

Man or critter ?

Took Chuck's muffler off while tire changing on his R12R...left on floor for maybe 20 hours. I got lazy yesterday when it got cold/rainy and went in the house...he wasn't coming today anyways.

As I was replacing it this afternoon, I heard it rattle as I rotated it and found all of this after much shaking and switching inlet/outlet orientation .I had the radio cranked on the prior day so maybe missed it.

I checked a few other mufflers on the floor close to this spot...no acorns or anything in them. They have a bit of soot on them, but don't smell roasted.
    He runs with the sidecases most of the time so a pelting from above seems unlikely. He keeps in an attached garage that's fairly sealed...I wondered if someone is jacking with him...or a squirrel at his office?
    Pretty funny anyways...have seen the mice nests before...but this is a lot of NUTS
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

The culprit

2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Might want to check the air box. See what you find in there.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Texpaul View Post
    Might want to check the air box. See what you find in there.

I'm skeered to! I asked Chuck who was pissed at him at work...about a coffee cup full

We have big squirrels...none that "cute" , but still possible
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

An old song "I live in a place where the nuts chace the squirrels" really does apply here........What kind of nuts are those anyway?.......They surely don't look like the oaks that I am familiar with there in south central Texas......or are they?..........Really would be great if they were some kind of Brazilian nut or.......A new way to transport that powdered nose candy that some imbibe there in Austin town.........God bless..........Dennis

Definitely Live Oak acorns...on my property alone just by the house, there are prob 6 bushels worth on ground,deck,roof.gutters...well you get the idea. Also with a metal roof...still sounds like a golf ball falling on the roof when it's windy...or when you just doze off.

I was going to tell Chuck his bike smells like roasted nuts when following him...or dodge them when he throttled up!
    Steve Henson

na1g
    Could be that cute little chipmunk, or a squirrel or mouse. They all cache seeds and nuts for the winter. My experience with them is mostly limited to an airbox (ST1300, Accord) but a few years ago I pulled almost a quart of sunflower seeds out of the headliner of my wife's Accord. Seems a very busy mouse had been moving them from the bird feeder about 100 feet to the garage and into her car. Mice can get through very small spaces so no place is truly mouse proof.

A cat works pretty well as a preventer but I've been using moth balls for years around the garage doors and in trays under the R-RT and haven't seen any sign of mice. Keeps the tigers away, too. (old joke)

pete

Looks like the work of an industrious squirrel. One time I found a similar cache inside an old ink jet printer I had on my garage workbench.

Check out this microwave antenna found to be full of nuts!
    Mark M, St. Louis, '95 R1100RS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    A new way to transport that powdered nose candy that some imbibe there in Austin town.........
    Brings a whole new meaning to crack pipe

Pete
    I know I have winter varmits, even more when I leave the roll-up doors open ...Helen finds them in her gym (located in the shop bldg)...I usually sneak out when I hear her ....quickly
    It's possible that happened in a day of the pipe being on the floor,that's a lot of trips...No cats...the blue heeler does some mousin' on occasion

And Mark,
    WOW! I have climbed past those ,never thought of that! That's a heaping HUGE amount of nuts! How long did that take...maybe it said? I guess their signal to/from that dish was going nuts....
    Last edited by henzilla; 11-27-2013 at 01:56 AM.
    Steve Henson

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    We routinely encounter similar every spring. This year there was a sportbike with slip-on muffler, rather large can. Couldn't get the bike to stay running at idle. Found corn in the airbox. Still wouldn't idle. Pulled the can and found it full of corn, along with the pipe all the way to where the individual headers joined. Several pounds of corn. Also had a rather large ATV, new last year. Not only the muffler and airbox, but the intake snorkel that went up under the tank was full.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair