Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Thinking about a new 1600GT - Do they still have issues?

rider weight

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    Hopefully they fixed it with 2014 models?As far as weight goes, the same could be said for the RT. I have to set it to two up and yes I weigh more than 240. Spending $1600 to fix it seems a little ridiculous for such an expensive bike. As far as the seats go, the GT reminds of the RT in position, the GTL is too low and it's a bucket that locks one in.
    My dealer told me the bike 'zero's out' your weight with a position sensor when you get on and start it up. So it initially sees where the suspension is and raises or lowers it depending on your weight to put it in the right range. He showed me the rod that checks the level of the bike and the hydraulics compensates when you start it up before you drive it.

Ponch
    Quote Originally Posted by fastype1 View Post
    My dealer told me the bike 'zero's out' your weight with a position sensor when you get on and start it up. So it initially sees where the suspension is and raises or lowers it depending on your weight to put it in the right range. He showed me the rod that checks the level of the bike and the hydraulics compensates when you start it up before you drive it.
    Is that all years or just the newest ones?
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

problems

I don't have any probelms as my new 2014 GTL was just delivered to my snow surrounded garage yesterday. Main reason I chose to buy now was that it is no longer a 'new' model. Won't list them, but many issues brought up since it was introduced have been addressed. That's the best reason for not buying on the 'bleeding edge' of technology. Looking forward to a fun summer.

I just picked up my ordered '14 GTS. It's wayyyyy smoother than my '12 GT was. I can't comment yet on any waterpump leaks etc. but hopefully with a new part# for that and the switch cluster, zero pull as well, hopefully all should be corrected. Time will tell, I'm thinking Mama Beemer has things pretty well worked out by now. Yes, finally!

Last edited by Top_Speed1; 03-07-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    Business comes first, riding comes always. One puts bread on the table, the other eats all the bread. Oh well, I'm riding happy!
    Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Speed1 View Post
    I just picked up my ordered '14 GTS. It's wayyyyy smoother than my '12 GT was. I can't comment yet on any waterpump leaks etc. but hopefully with a new part# for that and the switch cluster, zero pull as well, hopefully all should be corrected. Time will tell, I'm thinking Mama Beemer has things pretty well worked out by now. Yes, finally!

+1, GUNNY; very nice KJ, but what is all of that white sand doing at the back of the parking lot! jes' sayin' and nuff said!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post
    +1, GUNNY; very nice KJ, but what is all of that white sand doing at the back of the parking lot! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Thanks Don, don't tell the fellers, and... you heard of snow bunnies correct? Well that's the beach they play in

It's been a harsh winter to say the least. Chandler doesn't know the meaning of a real winter ;O
    Business comes first, riding comes always. One puts bread on the table, the other eats all the bread. Oh well, I'm riding happy!
    Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about the "left pull issue" but know a great deal about how the internet, mailing lists, a forum or two, and other social media can inform, but in so doing can magnify any given problem.

For example, many people now just assume that they will have a final drive failure - even though the percentage of units that actually fail is quite low - way too high for modern manufacturing though - but still a low percentage. But the probability that a given unit will fail is low - despite the fact that if it ruined your vacation at that point it doesn't matter what the failure rate is - yours is way too high.
    Ya, forum has cost me alot of money on preventative maintenance, my personal tendency is try to prevent every problem I read about. Maybe it is good since I have never been stranded by any type wheeled or airbourne vehicle (touching wood).
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2012 S1000RR sold for a 09 K1300GT for two up bike.
    2011 R1200GSA
    2005 KLE500 (Hong Kong)

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    Is that all years or just the newest ones?
    I would assume it's the same since day one.... the mechanic pointed to a position rod on a GS and said it's the same on the GTL. Must be a common technology between platforms.

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbolesaz View Post
    Don't know if the OP has been chased away yet . . .

However, some REAL info -

A member of our club (who is an attorney) got BMW to buy back his F800ST.

In Arizona, the lemon law comes into effect if the SAME REPAIR has been done a multiple of time (usually 3). Doesn't have to be safety related.

Since the OP's list didn't include multiple attempts to fix the same item, lemon law won't apply.

However, if someone had 3 water pumps replaced, they would likely be able to sucessfully lemon law that bike.

Or, if you took your bike to the shop 3 times for inactive windshield operation before BMW figured out it was the switches and installed the new ones, you might qualify.
    +1, Gunny; my friend bbolesaz is 100% correct on the BMW buybacks and I will be using the Arizona Lemon Law on my 2012 BMW K1600GT myself!

Last Wednesday, April 9 bbolesaz and C4 rode off to the Moto GP Races in Austin, TX. Walked out of the Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls, TX 4/12 to ride to The Circuit of Americas and we discovered a puddle of coolant under my K1600GT. Brian pulled the fairing and Tim ran for 50-50 coolant.

"However, if someone had 3 water pumps replaced, they would likely be able to successfully lemon law that bike."

Ride Group made it to Austin City Limits sign and my right boot was totally soaked with coolant, a Yamaha Rider Richard led me to Austin BMW shop!

There are currently NO new item replacement water pumps in North America, it will have to be sent over from Germany to Austin, Texas!

Had a 30 hour train ride home to Maricopa County, AZ and plenty of time to get good and mad about this ridiculous faulty water pump situation!

When Austin BMW tells me my K16 has it's FOURTH water pump installed I will fly back to Texas and my Arizona Lemon Lawsuit starts!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Ponch
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post
    +1, Gunny; my friend bbolesaz is 100% correct on the BMW buybacks and I will be using the Arizona Lemon Law on my 2012 BMW K1600GT myself!

Last Wednesday, April 9 bbolesaz and C4 rode off to the Moto GP Races in Austin, TX. Walked out of the Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls, TX 4/12 to ride to The Circuit of Americas and we discovered a puddle of coolant under my K1600GT. Brian pulled the fairing and Tim ran for 50-50 coolant.

"However, if someone had 3 water pumps replaced, they would likely be able to successfully lemon law that bike."

Ride Group made it to Austin City Limits sign and my right boot was totally soaked with coolant, a Yamaha Rider Richard led me to Austin BMW shop!

There are currently NO new item replacement water pumps in North America, it will have to be sent over from Germany to Austin, Texas!

Had a 30 hour train ride home to Maricopa County, AZ and plenty of time to get good and mad about this ridiculous faulty water pump situation!

When Austin BMW tells me my K16 has it's FOURTH water pump installed I will fly back to Texas and my Arizona Lemon Lawsuit starts!
    I thought you carried a spare?
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19