Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a new 1600GT - Do they still have issues?

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Hmmmm. Where in the world did you come up with the left pull which affects half the bikes out there?

Visit the K1600 forum and you'll likely learn more from the concentrated knowledge available there. www.k1600forum.com
    Thanks for the info.
    http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...side-poll.html

I can't remember if I voted on that one or not, but mine falls on the good side of the equation. . . Although I got rid of the crap oem metzler z8's and have never looked back. (Showing cords at 3800 miles VERY unexpectedly). Be an interesting poll if you could combine tire and pull . . .

Hmmmm. Where in the world did you come up with the left pull which affects half the bikes out there?

Visit the K1600 forum and you'll likely learn more from the concentrated knowledge available there. www.k1600forum.com
    I know absolutely nothing about the "left pull issue" but know a great deal about how the internet, mailing lists, a forum or two, and other social media can inform, but in so doing can magnify any given problem.

For example, many people now just assume that they will have a final drive failure - even though the percentage of units that actually fail is quite low - way too high for modern manufacturing though - but still a low percentage. But the probability that a given unit will fail is low - despite the fact that if it ruined your vacation at that point it doesn't matter what the failure rate is - yours is way too high.

I also know that in bare naked unloaded configuration every BMW with a single-sided swingarm built since the R80G/S in 1981 will tend to pull one direction or the other. This is because the weight is not balanced side-to-side. Most models tend to pull right because that is the side with the most weight. Some later models have the final drive, driveshaft, swingarm, and majority of transmission weight on the left. Guess which way they pull??

Thirty years ago riders figured out that about ten extra pounds in the left saddlebag made the right pull hard to notice.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

If I keep my hands on the bars the bike does not pull to the left. With hands off the bars it does favor the left, if I shift in my seat about 1/4 inch it runs true. (March 2013 build)

I no longer worry about forum complaints. When I got my GS in 2002 I read about all the final drive failures and wondered for 11 years when mine would fail. After 108,000 miles it still hasn't.

Whatever happened to the dude with the cracked piston?

I'm an active member on K1600forum, the pull issue is there but quite rare. It is relative but I would not stay on the fence because of this, just too great of bike to not experience just because of shyness in this area of concern.

Waterpumps and switches fixed. Shifting w clunk/lag in tranny and drive-line also appears to be resolved.

Pull the trigger!
    Business comes first, riding comes always. One puts bread on the table, the other eats all the bread. Oh well, I'm riding happy!
    Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum

K1600 is in the garage

Thanks for talking me off the ledge.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwaves View Post
    Thanks for talking me off the ledge.
    Congrats!
    Dan

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Congrats!
    +1, Gunny!
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post
    +1, Gunny!
    +2
    ...but I won't call you a "Gunnery Sergeant"
    Business comes first, riding comes always. One puts bread on the table, the other eats all the bread. Oh well, I'm riding happy!

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Speed1 View Post
    +2
    ?but I won't call you a "Gunnery Sergeant"
    Hey now Top_Speed1, Papa Chuy Viejo was a Gunnery Sergeant in 5/32nd Artillery - US Army!

Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post
    Hey now Top_Speed1, Papa Chuy Viejo was a Gunnery Sergeant in 5/32nd Artillery - US Army!

As always, thanks for your service Don! My Dad was in the 42nd Rainbow Division in WWII, saw plenty of live action in Germany and France. He passed a couple of years ago, RIP Pops!

..and I guess you have the right to use that word (as I believe that is where it was derived from!).

Cheers Buddy!

-KJ

Does anyone know if BMW will will doing anything about the clunky EXHAUSTS.. ? Thank

aok

Dont tell me.......

Quote Originally Posted by 73633 View Post
    aok
    My exhaust "clunks" now too?

I just wanna ride.

I think an Unclunk Exhaust recall is pending as I type.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT