Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 42 of 42

Thread: Riding comfort

  1. #31
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I don't deny the science because i am really not qualified too. But I looked that diet up & it is [somewhat] unreasonable.

    Other than the occasional Pizza, [& I mean occasional] I do not eat 'junk' food, haven't had fried food in 12 years, only red meat ? is Buffalo . Little to no processed food. I am lucky in that I love fish [grilled / baked / smoked / pan seared] never fired. And I love & eat all veggies. Very small amount of processed sugar,[I have a piece of Apple pie I'm going to eat later]...again small portion of my diet.

    But to give up dairy [I drink 1%] and potatoes , and drink only water & green tea?....that's {IMO} the unreasonable part.
    These things are a personal choice. Bread, potatoes, etc., are a big part of many of our diets, and this is one of the reasons why we have some of the issues we do, because all of those things have an effect on our internal chemistry. Your local library may well have a copy of the book, so you could even read it for free. I recommend it to you. Meats/fish/poultry, veggies, (some) fruit, and the right kinds of fat, as our hunter-gatherer ancestors did, and your body will thank you. I do not want to sound like some kind of evangelist about this; I only bring it up because of the thread. I lost 40 lbs on this diet without ever being hungry and my cholesterol is down in spite of eating at least a dozen eggs a week.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    You have no cholesterol problem!


    LOL! I hear ya but that is with the help of Lipitor....if I do without it altogether ?...how long before it climbs back to the danger level? @ 276 12 years ago, I had 80 & 80+ blockage in two arteries , causing mild pain & I felt 'rung' out....do not want that back...

    And once again I am not asking anyone to make decisions for me, or diagnose me.....I'm just picking brains....and {IMO} some of the best are people that have 'been there'....and I appreciate all replies.

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
    These things are a personal choice. Bread, potatoes, etc., are a big part of many of our diets, and this is one of the reasons why we have some of the issues we do, because all of those things have an effect on our internal chemistry. Your local library may well have a copy of the book, so you could even read it for free. I recommend it to you. Meats/fish/poultry, veggies, (some) fruit, and the right kinds of fat, as our hunter-gatherer ancestors did, and your body will thank you. I do not want to sound like some kind of evangelist about this; I only bring it up because of the thread. I lost 40 lbs on this diet without ever being hungry and my cholesterol is down in spite of eating at least a dozen eggs a week.

    OH, I will look farther into it. You mention eggs...sure is allot of controversy / ambiguity about those little boogers and I luv'em.... but do limit myself.

  4. #34
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    I am not following any diet guru, fad or lately written book, but I try to avoid starchy foods, white flour and its products and sugars. This has helped me to address quite a few issues such as weight, cholesterol and blood sugar. I am not on any prescription medicine.

  5. #35
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    I am not following any diet guru, fad or lately written book, but I try to avoid starchy foods, white flour and its products and sugars. This has helped me to address quite a few issues such as weight, cholesterol and blood sugar. I am not on any prescription medicine.
    What you're doing is right for your body, and that is why it works. In terms of how long mankind has existed, the time we have been cultivating and eating grains, sugars, and starches is but the blink of an eye. The vast majority of our time has been spent not eating those things, and that is what the paleo diet is all about - eating the balance that our bodies evolved to eat.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

  6. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    22

    Riding comfort

    Back to the OP, the older I get the more I find that the cure for nearly every ache and pain is exercise...particularly weight/resistance training. I hit the weights 3X a week and cardio 4X a week. It has largely eliminated the discomfort of arthritis, scoliosis, and spinal stenosis. And, it has made recovery from open heart surgery, a run-in with a cage! and a rather spectacular unplanned off on a dual sport ride pretty speedy.

    While things like chiropractic adjustments, acupuncture, and the like may offer some relief, I am absolutely convinced that weight, cardio, and flexibility training is imperative to enjoy our later years. We get out of it what we out into it. And, I agree with the need to maintain proper nutrition. (Big juicer here.)

    YMMV, but I firmly believe it will help!

    Hang in there.

    Just taking up dirt riding at age 65,
    Mike

  7. #37
    Mike chilibowlfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    87
    I quit motorcycles several years ago due to arthritis in my back. Long story, for another time, about how I came back. A "driver's Back Rest" cured about 85% of the pain. Now manageable.
    Just what worked for me.
    Good luck,
    Mike
    "To be a Virginian either by birth, marriage,adoption, or even on one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God."

  8. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by chilibowlfan View Post
    I quit motorcycles several years ago due to arthritis in my back. Long story, for another time, about how I came back. A "driver's Back Rest" cured about 85% of the pain. Now manageable.
    Just what worked for me.
    Good luck,
    Mike

    Wrestling with arthritis myself...what motorcycle do you ride ? On a cruiser a backrest does seem to help somewhat. But on my Roadster I lean to far forward for one to have any effect .

    Noticed your sig 'chilibowlfan' .....haven't made it to the chilibowl yet, but am a fan of Midgets & Sprints. My dad raced Midgets back in the day...Ford V-8 60 Flatties....

    Just a note;...I am trying magnetic therapy for my Arthritis ....I'll post my findings.

  9. #39
    #4869 DennisDarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sugar Valley, Ga
    Posts
    1,009
    Yes, with a pretty much fused spine with pain radiating down into the various appendages, YOU are right on about the exercise. I don't know about the strength building stuff as that is kinda counter productive for me; but it is the range of motion that truly needs the exercise to keep from "rusting" shut. Just getting out there and walking is sometimes a super effort so there goes one's "wind" after a few years of not going THROUGH the pain........Yes, that is really the trick.......to go THROUGH that pain.

    At times, I get really high on the endorphines that my body produces. That is the best of all and it lets me know that what I am doing is making a difference. Again, pain is in the head a lot of times; but it sure gets depressing day after day after day......God bless.......Dennis

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    840
    Dennis said "but it sure gets depressing day after day after day...."



    It sure as hell does. And most of the Doc's say....take these stronger pills [which is how people get 'hooked' on them, and why I hope to avoid them. Or they say we'll cut this out & put this in and hope it works?? Which often leads to other problems. I swear I sometimes think we were never meant to live as long as we do today ? But hell I don't want to quit....

  11. #41
    Mike chilibowlfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    87
    Hello 71243 this is Chilibowlfan.

    The backrest was on a '95 K11LT. Also had bar backs to allow me to slightly sit back. The K11LT just got to heavy for me. Honestly I was dropping it in the garage and gas stations. So I invested in a '13 F700GS. Yes, I put a Russell with drivers back rest on. Didn't need to raise or set back the bars. Just rotated them back slightly. Makes all the difference ib the world. The F is a fantastic bike. It rides solo or 2 up, twisties or interstate without a problem. Bummed out about the chain drive though.

    I've been to 11 Chilibowls, not 2014 though. If you're into motorsports it is the most fantastic event there is. Bar none!
    "To be a Virginian either by birth, marriage,adoption, or even on one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God."

  12. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by chilibowlfan View Post
    Hello 71243 this is Chilibowlfan.

    The backrest was on a '95 K11LT. Also had bar backs to allow me to slightly sit back. The K11LT just got to heavy for me. Honestly I was dropping it in the garage and gas stations. So I invested in a '13 F700GS. Yes, I put a Russell with drivers back rest on. Didn't need to raise or set back the bars. Just rotated them back slightly. Makes all the difference ib the world. The F is a fantastic bike. It rides solo or 2 up, twisties or interstate without a problem. Bummed out about the chain drive though.

    I've been to 11 Chilibowls, not 2014 though. If you're into motorsports it is the most fantastic event there is. Bar none!


    I have a K1200LT that a backrest would likely do well on..the weight isn't a problem... [yet]I just prefer my Roadster. I was thinking about selling the LT, but maybe I should put more miles on it ? maybe I'll change my mind ?

    Gittin' old sucks!.........but it beats the alternative...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •