Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52

Thread: what are the chances?

  1. #1
    Superkraut typ181r90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    381

    what are the chances?

    of both centerstand springs shearing off at once? I parked my bike on the centerstand when I got to work last night and didn't notice anything wrong, but when I came out this morning to ride home both springs were snapped and laying on the ground - one about 4 feet from the bike. I wound up having to tie a rag around the stand and the frame to get home and upon inspection I couldn't see anything amiss with the stand that could have caused that. It did get pretty cold, but I've ridden this bike through many winters already, maybe just bad luck? Just curious if this has happened to anybody else before, I'm going to check everything again later on once the sun comes up.
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

    http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    Could they have been cut? Sounds too coincidental.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lansing, Kansas
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    Could they have been cut? Sounds too coincidental.
    My first thought also. But then I am the suspicious kind. You do not have to be paranoid for them to be out to get you.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

  4. #4
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,182
    Call in NCIS and pull up the local traffic/bank cameras...someone would have been seen lying down on the ground with some cutters!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    67
    Person of Interest would have something on the ne'er-do-well. Then they could
    get some payback to the rascal.

  6. #6
    sMiling Voni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    53 sMiles south of Alpine, TX USA
    Posts
    4,623
    What are the chances of two flat tires at the same time during a half day long ride?

    Both of my valve stems starting leaking and after 200 miles I had two flat tires at the same time.

    Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    I would think that the NSA or CIA may have something to do with this!

    I know we are making light of this, but it probably isn't so for the original poster.

    I think the arrangement has a single spring on EACH side of the centerstand. I am wondering if one had been broken for some time, but still held up the stand enough to travel. Then, the second one broke and then the stand wouldn't stay up at all and that is how the owner noticed it.

    I would recommend that the poster employ Paul Drake, and Perry Mason just in case!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    What are the chances of two flat tires at the same time during a half day long ride?

    Both of my valve stems starting leaking and after 200 miles I had two flat tires at the same time.

    Voni
    sMiling
    I am wondering if the same culprit is at work on your bike too?

  9. #9
    Superkraut typ181r90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    I would think that the NSA or CIA may have something to do with this!

    I know we are making light of this, but it probably isn't so for the original poster.

    I think the arrangement has a single spring on EACH side of the centerstand. I am wondering if one had been broken for some time, but still held up the stand enough to travel. Then, the second one broke and then the stand wouldn't stay up at all and that is how the owner noticed it.

    I would recommend that the poster employ Paul Drake, and Perry Mason just in case!
    Now that it's normal hours and the sun is out I got a good look at everything. It appears that the right side centerstand mount is stripped pretty badly and there's a lot of play, the spring that was attached on that side appears newer than the one that was on the left side and maybe given the play one side snapped and the other just gave in? The right side spring broke at the point it mounts to the frame, the left side broke at the point the spring meets the stand... I dunno, when the centerstand is down there's no stress on the springs, they're only really in use to keep the stand up while riding so it just seems odd that they'd break when putting the stand down, but who knows.

    I do know I'll have to repair that stripped mount and buy some new springs this weekend. I'll also have to keep a better eye on the stand area of the bike because I've never really gone over that at all or considered it a safety pre-check.
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

    http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by typ181r90 View Post
    Now that it's normal hours and the sun is out I got a good look at everything. It appears that the right side centerstand mount is stripped pretty badly and there's a lot of play, the spring that was attached on that side appears newer than the one that was on the left side and maybe given the play one side snapped and the other just gave in? The right side spring broke at the point it mounts to the frame, the left side broke at the point the spring meets the stand... I dunno, when the centerstand is down there's no stress on the springs, they're only really in use to keep the stand up while riding so it just seems odd that they'd break when putting the stand down, but who knows.

    I do know I'll have to repair that stripped mount and buy some new springs this weekend. I'll also have to keep a better eye on the stand area of the bike because I've never really gone over that at all or considered it a safety pre-check.
    I just had to repair mine on my R100/7 about 2 months go. I noticed the bolts that hold the centerstand on were not pointing straight in, but were slanted. No broken springs, but I decided to take everything apart to see what was amiss. Here, the bolts had backed out, but not far enough to fall out - they couldn't as the exhaust pipes would have prevented that. However, since they were crooked they damaged slightly the first thread, My first attempt was to put in longer bolts and back up with a nut, but soon found out that the springs needed that space where I had tried the nuts. I went back to regular length bolts, but new, and cleaned out the threads so they would screw in.

    Did so, attached the springs and now both are A-OK. I did notice however that the springs are at their shortest when the stand was up, not down. I used the sidestand to hold bike while I stretched springs over the frame/stand mount locations. Now, more solid than ever.

    This was another one of the plethora of things that were not maintained on my bike by previous owners. All of these types of things are annoying and usually took a lot of time to fix as there were always other parts that needed to be removed to get at them.

  11. #11
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,702
    My guess would be that the two springs had approximately the same number of stretches before they each failed.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  12. #12
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    My guess would be that the two springs had approximately the same number of stretches before they each failed.
    dang, that was almost a Zen moment. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    705
    The exhaust pipes did not prevent my centerstand from falling off...that's an R60/6. I was riding along and I heard something dragging. One side let go. The stand now hangs in my garage. I guess I'll have to get the mounting tabs welded up and drill a new hole, as they are all out of round. My mounting bolts were stripped, too. I wonder if they sell oversize bushings? My manual never stated anything about greasing or checking tightness. I used to use the center stand all the time. It's really more stable on the side stand, I think. When on the center stand, the wind would blow the bike over, or a big steel truck would pass by and the ground would shake and over my bike would go.

  14. #14
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    It's really more stable on the side stand, I think. When on the center stand, the wind would blow the bike over, or a big steel truck would pass by and the ground would shake and over my bike would go.
    I thought it was the other way around? That's kind of weird...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  15. #15
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,307
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I thought it was the other way around? That's kind of weird...
    no, the truck vibration, key of E, I believe, will rotate the bike, counter-clockwise (contingent on floor slant), 180 degrees, if rumble is consistent. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •