Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Local Knowledge Please - Hwy 108 or Hwy 4

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    Bill,

Thanks for the detail on the approach to Tahoe. We had planned to spend the night in Walker but I'll look into Gardnerville - sounds like the food is worth the few extra miles on the first day before we shoot to Susanville.

Regarding the rest of the trip - if you are interested you can see the whole thing in the other post here called - The Motorcycling holiday of a Lifetime.
    Feel free to add any comments or suggestions there too.
    I did take a look at the other thread for your trip. Sounds just fabulous!

FYI, Walker to Minden/G-ville is about 35 to 40 minutes, add 20 to 25 if you decide to make the loop over Monitor Pass thru Markleeville. In the Destinations Highway motorcycle ride guidebook, Monitor is one of the top rated road sections in the Golden State. Not a long piece, but very nice and usually no cars hogging the road.

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    Actually that's the north end of the Walker River Canyon, the twisties in there are much more fun on a bike then driving a gasoline tanker for ARCO.

Right you are. Thanks, Bill.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

And (LOL), from Minden to Susanville recommendation....

With the routing previously described via Kingsbury Grade and Flake Tahoe...to Truckee. The "quick" way from Truckee to Susanville is east on I-80 to Reno, then straight up 395 to your destination. Quick, but boring...

A more scenic route would be from Truckee to Quincy, down the Feather River Hwy a ways, then north thru Greenville past Lake Alamanor and into Susanville fom the west...

Minden to S-ville by that route is 325km, 4hrs 15 min driving time. The quicker route thru Reno shaves about an hour off the driving time and is about 35km less distance...

Sorry I don't recall all the route numbers...I fought wild land fires all over this area of the Sierras, so to me it's sort of like driving around in my back yard...

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Right you are. Thanks, Bill.
    David, and thanks to you to sir. I'm taking a little trip down memory lane here.

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

I rode my RT to Bodie 2 years ago, no problem. We rode form Merced through Yosemite, to Bodie & then on to Reno in one day, with lots of stops. I live down in Merced, outside of Yosemite.

If you go through Yosemite, out 120, up 395, then to S. Lake Tahoe, that would be a great ride. I would definitely go on the West (California) side of Tahoe. Prettier, some great stops, real nice. You can easily make Susanville from there.

If you leave Oakhurst early, hit the gas station for lunch, hit Bodie, then north...

395 is not exciting, but not as baren as you might expect. It is unique.

Also, places worth eating, depending on your timing. Walker Burger, Ducy's in Bass Lake (Oakhurst, great for dinner), there is a brewery at Lake Tahoe that has great food...
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    David, and thanks to you to sir. I'm taking a little trip down memory lane here.

Cheers!
    We both are. My ex's family had a USFS leasehold cabin at Gull Lake on the June Lake Loop from the mid-70s on, and until she and I split up in the early 90s we took several trips a year to the eastern slope. Sometimes, work compelled a different schedule for me than for her and the kids, and I could elect to ride. What a treat!
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    We both are. My ex's family had a USFS leasehold cabin at Gull Lake on the June Lake Loop from the mid-70s on, and until she and I split up in the early 90s we took several trips a year to the eastern slope. Sometimes, work compelled a different schedule for me than for her and the kids, and I could elect to ride. What a treat!
    So we're both having a good time!

I grew up in Fallon, then worked in Reno while attending college. Then for several years lived in Minden and most of my "weekends" we're actually during the week, so had plenty of time to explore and enjoy those High Sierra byways...and I still miss them.

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions on this section of the ride.

Local knowledge is like gold. I could ride through this are (or any area) as a visitor and miss out on the perfect ride by taking just one road the wrong way. I also love the way a post like this can just get people talking and reminiscing about times past and rides taken.

I look forward to passing through this area next year and will certainly look to stop off or ride through the points you guys have recommended.
    Regards

Mark H
    2012 - R1200R White Aluminium Metallic