Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2002 R1150RT brake failure

Here is the GS-911 status report, if you had a GS-911 you might be able to directly see what it was objecting too:

absstatus.jpg

And here is a realtime values report from the other sensors for your reference

motronic2.4status.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Thanks Roger and Bikerfish for your comments.
    The rubber lines MUST be replaced before proceeding to troubleshoot other issues.
    Safety first, failures can happen even when the machine is off
    One client of mine was almost crushed unloading his bike off a pickup truck when the front master line bulged and the lever went to the handgrip.

I picked up a pirate GS for a buddy to repair and flip( he thought he found a deal)...luckily I was loading/walking into the trailer when I tapped the front brake with a squishy feel then nothing as it slammed into the wheel chock on a downhill slope. It had felt fine prior to rolling down the hill.

When I took a look under the beak, the bulging line was evident and had a beer can and hose clamps around the bulge What was the PO thinking?

Also many issues as mentioned on other bikes due to decayed lines that looked OK on the outside. I recently repaired a 2005 LT with a blown front splitter line.
    You may not THINK you have issues with older lines, however, they are an issue that will cause most some problems. Cheap upgrade in the bigger scheme of "what if" . All current models come standard with SS lines I believe.

AndyVH had a good thread on this last year with some good info, I couldn't locate it but hopefully he may chime in. He has extensive knowledge on rubber lines.

And on a moderator note...please keep this civil fellas...it's too early in the season to start this tit-for-tat It's OK to have opinions...just try respecting each other...MOD hat off>
    Last edited by henzilla; 11-19-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Is there any reason to search out someone other than Spiegler to buy the lines from?

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    Really, can someone tell us how to pull codes from an 1150?
    Dealer or GS911 is about it
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    Is there any reason to search out someone other than Spiegler to buy the lines from?
    Kind of like tires, oil, and batteries...some folks like these. I haven't used them on our bikes but have installed a few sets.

http://www.galferusa.com/motorcycle-brake-lines/
    Steve Henson

Thanks

Thanks for all the help.

I think at this time my best bet would be to just take it to the shop and have them code the thing and hopefully pinpoint the problem. I have done the simple cheap things and no magic bullet.

If it turns out to be the servo unit I have some time to replace, repair or remove the unit.

Thanks to All !

Rick
    R and R

Rear brake switch?

Have you checked the rear brake switch?
    Crud in there could prevent switch closure and account for the sticking ABS pump.
    It's very easy to inspect and clean.
    --
    Doug Raymond
    R1150RT '02
    Ambler, PA

Thanks Doug I will check into that.

RT
    R and R

For anyone interested, Rick's 1150RT was showing a front motor fault. So after a good brake flush he worked up the courage to engage the ABS. First the foot pedal and then the hand lever. From the way it was acting I suspected an electrical fault such as carbon or corrosion on the ABS motor armature. So far so good but since the wind chill here is below zero with highs below freezing for the coming week, it'll be awhile before we know for certain.