Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Motorcycling Holiday of a Lifetime

Rinty,

I can't thank you enough for the input on the section around Glacier area.
    I am still hoping for a warm winter and for some chance at Going to the Sun Road but if not I am happy to go via 18, 17 and 6 with the run around 49 for a little extra twists.

The tip about Waterton Lakes has me thinking we may stop short of Pincher Creek and stay the night in Waterton instead.
    There looks to be some cool little 60's style motels.

Thanks also for the update on 40. I hope this stays clear for our ride through to Canmore.
    Regards

Mark H
    2012 - R1200R White Aluminium Metallic

I see that your willing to break away from the "100% Best Western lodging thing". That struck me as a sure way to guarantee a certain level of mediocrity to your lodging. Sure, some of their motels are a good choice but @ 100% it will/would cause you to miss out on much of the cultural gain in coming ! Spend some more time trying to find lodging choices that offer something more unique to the trip. Having made a list of many lodgings will afford you the flexibility to miss one & try another instead.
    I do see a big gain in spending the whole trip out west as it ensures a better trip than a drive/ride-by type vacation that takes you cross country-all to common IMO for MC riders. Enjoy!
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Kantuckid,

You are correct about the mediocrity associated with the "Best Western"approach but it has some logic to it as well.
    We have done a lot of long haul riding/touring and in order to front up day after day after day we need to have a comfortable and "reliable" place to lay our heads each night.
    Certainly, the B&B experience and some of the more boutique style accommodation would provide more cultural interaction but we tend to chase that during the day and particularly at the bars, cafes and gas stops we make. Having said this, and I'm not certain it will be the same in the US, but locally these chain motels are still owned by Mom and Pop types who add their own special flare to the venue with local knowledge and personality.

A "Faulty Towers" experience is always fun but can be challenging if you need to get up early the next morning to ride another 300 miles or so.

For us, the west was a logical choice, but I must say - the US and Canada are not unlike Australia in their scale and vastness. So, somewhere in the future we hope to see the east side and if that requires us to make the big cross country ride, we'll make that an adventure too, not just a haul ass type approach.
    Regards

Mark H

Mark:

Here's the deck at the Leland Hotel in Nakusp, with Upper Arrow Lake in the background, somewhat obscured by forest fire smoke. I ride here every July, and then my wife and I come back in September:

And here's the lake side of it:

Waterton Townsite has a wide range of accommodation. I usually stay at the Bayshore, which is pretty good. If you want to score some major Brownie points with your wife, book a night at the Prince of Wales Hotel, just outside of town. A whole book has been written about it. Here it is, in the background:

You can see it better in this shot:

I'll post some pics of a good place to stay in Red Lodge Montana, which is a real fun town.
    Last edited by RINTY; 11-24-2013 at 05:32 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

My two cents

Your trip sounds quite exciting. I live in Washington and can provide a few suggestions of things I would do differently based on your route. May/June can be early for the snow to be off the roads depending on the weather. I checked the North Cascades Highway and it looks to open usually early May but in 2011 it opened May 25th. That makes me think some of the Canadian Roads (which are further inland) might be dicey. Please take a look at my suggestions and see if they would work for you.
    1) If Vancouver Island is a must, I would consider routing through Lillooet which would route you through Whistler, BC, especially if WA route 20 is closed or not suitable for motorcycling when you come through. After Lilloet, you could continue down to Horseshoe Bay and take the Nanaimo ferry from there. Not sure of road conditions that time of year. Victoria is very pretty but once I thought it would be romantic to make the trek out to Tofino and the road is basic fir trees (which you will see plenty of elsewhere) with a small beach at the end of it, plus you have to back track to return. I would also suggest that you take the Washington State ferry from Sydney BC to Anacortes instead of Victoria to Port Angeles. The Anacortes ferry is very scenic as it winds its way through the San Juan islands. You could then use my next suggestion or do the North Cascade Hwy from West to East then turn south toward Yakima.
    2) Assuming you take the ferry to Anacortes, the next leg of your route would be go down Whidbey Island (there is a bridge from Anacortes) then take another ferry over to Port Townsend from Coupeville. From there I would continue on Hwy 20 to Hwy 101 and go south along Hood Canal. That is this most beautiful way south as it runs between the mountains and the water on a small uncongested road. When you get to Olympia, go south on I5 to Hwy 12 then east to NF(National Forest) Road 25 which will take you through the wilderness adjacent to Mount St Helens. There is a route that leads you down to Carson, WA. then cross the Columbia River at the town of Hood River. Follow Hwy 35 up the slopes of Mount Hood, pickup Hwy 26 which will take you to Madras. The terrain you skip by not going to Yakima will be similar once you hit Madras. I would suggest an overnight in Bend rather than Madras though.
    3) Your choice to take the MacKenzie Hwy out of Sister, Oregon is a great choice. There is another route after the MacKenzie Hwy that turns south through the mountains which I would do rather than descend to Eugene area. If you are interested I can dig up the road names/numbers. You can message me if you want more details on any of this.

Selyab - I'll reply in a PM. Thanks
    Regards

Mark H

...I would consider routing through Lilloet...Selyab
    He's talking about the Duffy Lake Road (Highway 99) which is very scenic, and twisty, but looks to be a bit away from your route.
    Rinty

Oregon to Idaho Alternate Suggestion

Mark;

Living in Boise, my wife and I are lucky enough to get to spend a fair amount of time traveling in Idaho, Oregon and Washington, so after looking at your proposed routes I can only offer a suggestion on your Susanville/Idaho Falls route.

While Hwy. 20 to Weiser & New Meadows is good, about all I can say is it allows you to make good time. Burns to McCall is one day by your route.
    If you are looking for entertainment, I have an alternate suggestion.

I have attached a map at this link which will help. Hopefully it will work. http://goo.gl/maps/pT7Kb

The Bates / Sumpter / Granite to La Grande route is more scenic, less traffic and more fun.
    The Joseph / Cambridge route is over a paved Forest Access road, and takes you to viewpoints at the top and bottom of Hell's Canyon.
    If you are not in a big hurry, both of these roads are great. This route would probably add a half day or possibly more, depending on the number of photo and tourist stops. My wife and I can usually find a way to kill most of a day on the Cambridge/Joseph/La Grande route alone.

Overall, it's not as direct, but it's all on pavement and gets you to McCall by a much more scenic and entertaining fashion.

I could also suggest a route from Enterprise, OR to Clarkston, WA to New Meadows, ID.
    It really does not fit as well to your initial proposed route, but if you get the chance this one of those bucket list roads.
    Try Goggling Rattlesnake Grade Washington.

Feel free to PM me if you would like lodging information along the route or anywhere else in Idaho, Oregon or southeastern Washington. I have several places that are regular or occasional stops.

Glen

The Joseph / Cambridge route is over a paved Forest Acces road...BeemerBOI
    Mark:

+1 on this section. My wife and I just drove it last June. The north part is called Forest Service Road (FSR) 39 or the Wallowa Mountain Loop. Note: the signage in the Forest Service areas can be confusing, so I suggest you get one of their maps before you go in. Also, Joseph is a little gem of a town, and suggest you spend a few hours looking around.

But this whole area is spectacular.
    Last edited by RINTY; 11-26-2013 at 03:08 AM.
    Rinty

Glen (and Rinty),

Thanks for the tip on the loop up around La Grande and Joseph but unfortunately we are just running out of days and miles.
    We need to make it to Garden Valley ID from Burns OR in the day (310 miles / 6 hours) and although some of this other route looks great we just don't have the flexibility. This then sets us up for the next run from Garden Valley to Idaho Falls.
    So as you say - the run on Hwy 20 from Weiser may not be the most exciting but I'm hoping the stretch south from McCall to Garden Valley can make up for it. The run across from Burns to Vale looks like an open expanse which may actually be a nice change from all of the mountain and tree lined roads on other sections of the trip.

The big problem with planning this trip is just that - it's so BIG.
    There is no end of places which are great rides but just like Australia, there are huge distances between them and sometimes we will be forced to make a "quick dash" from A-B just to pick up a road or a start point for the next section. In this case it was the jump across to get to Yellowstone.

Thank you for taking the time to suggest an optional route though - it so nice to see people who are experienced, knowledgable and passionate about their favourite roads.
    Regards

Mark H

...we are just running out of days and miles...
    No worries; always happens on trips like this.

When you're in Red Lodge, Montana, which is a great place, you might want to treat yourself to a night in the Pollard Hotel. Check ahead for specials. We paid $100 for a night, which included dinner, and had the best prime rib I've ever tasted. We got lucky, as there was an Austin Healey owners group from New England staying at the hotel. They truck their cars to Whitefish each summer, and then go touring.

After you check in, walk a few feet down to the Snowcreek Saloon, one of best bars in the West.

http://www.snowcreeksaloon.com/
    Last edited by RINTY; 11-26-2013 at 03:10 AM.
    Rinty

just running out of days and miles.
    Completely understand, Mark. We are planning a trip north next year, and I have had to scale it back from way north to mid-BC, mainly because we don't have a huge amount of time available off from work. I don't want to just rush through, so something had to give.

Getting back to your trip, there are a couple of decent spots to eat in Crouch, which is about 3 miles east of Garden Valley. The Sourdough Lodge is just over 30 miles east of Garden Valley, and makes a good breakfast stop. Let us know when you may be through the area. Would like to meet for coffee and see how your trip is going.

Oh, and I had to laugh at a comment that RINTY made about Browning. We were through there a couple of years ago, and now some of the gestures (that I mistook for casual greetings) are more clear.

Glen

Hi all,

It's probably time to close this thread off now - so I just wanted to thank everyone for their time and efforts in responding with such detail and knowledge on some of the sections of this tour.
    We can't wait to get over in the US and start the riding. May 26th still seems like such a long time away.

The input from all of you has without doubt made this a better plan for what will certainly be a motorcycling holiday of a lifetime.
    Regards

Mark H