Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tank vent plugged 92 R100RS

Quote Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post
    On a couple of my bikes I removed the shed system, once because it cut off the gas to the carbs due to a bad solenoid. The other time to prevent being stranded like i had been. Here is a diagram of the system from http://www.bmwmcchattanooga.com/show...ssembly=191718

One of the solenoids vents the vapors from the tank to the engine when the key is off. (11 in diagram) Turning on the key you may hear a hiss as the solenoid changes again and now vents those vapors to the air box allowing them to be burned.

The other solenoid controls gas to the carbs so when the key is off, it shuts off the fuel. (10 in the diagram) That is the one that went bad on mine bike, starving the engine for gas. The system (from my understanding) does little to hurt performance, and removing it will not gain anything, except a more reliable bike.

Hope this helps. Haynes manuals have the same diagram, but easier to see. They also explain it better. Removing the system will eliminate the problem you are having because you now add another tube to vent the tank.

Also, here is a good procedure to remove it if you want. http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...les/pulse-air/

If you do not have the Haynes manual, let me know and I can copy it and post it here.
    I forgot to thank you for your offer! Thanks! I do have the manual.
    Jim Gregory
    92 R100RS
    05 Sportster Roadster

Happy to say that drilling the hole in the center of the cap worked fine. High speed all the way to work. No issues. Full tank. No leaks. Thanks everyone for responding to this and helping me sort it out.
    Jim
    Jim Gregory
    92 R100RS
    05 Sportster Roadster