Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Riding with the one you love .....

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    I dearly wish I could ride with my wife, but she's just not into it. She has a hobby farm and caring for her sheep, chickens and angora rabbits makes her happy...as well as precluding shared vacations. She looks upon Little House on the Prairie or Anne of Green Gables as the ideal, i.e., nice self-sufficient homestead that has all you need.

That is so not me! I love roaming around, discovering new places and meeting new people. I did get a bit lonely on some of the extended backroads camping trips, but solved that when I discovered the best riding buddy I've ever had.

I've immensely enjoyed your stories about Barley!
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

I'd really love to ride with my wife.

When I met her in 1972 I had a Honda CB350 that was my primary transportation. We did a lot of two-up on the Honda, nothing big but lots of short rides. Another guy she was dating rode a BMW...I'm not sure which model...but the Honda and I won out. After we were married we pretty much stopped riding for several reasons and eventually sold the Honda. Last year I bought my RS from my brother and have been riding it as much as I can. She's willing to ride pillion and we've done some two-up on the RS but it's not the same. That we're 40 years older probably has something to do with it. Also, there isn't much room for the two of us on the RS even tho it's a lot bigger than the CB350 (we're not THAT much bigger than we were then). I'd love to get her her own bike but she doesn't think she could handle one (she has some health issues). Plan B would be to get something that's more of a tourer, maybe an R1150RT or an R1200RT but I don't know if it would fit much better (I'm 6'5" and she's about 5'9"). Plan C is a sidecar rig.

Anyway, I think it's great that you guys can ride with your SOs. Enjoy...
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

As alluring as the concept is, my GF Cynthia just has no interest in riding her own bike. So we, 2-up it, and have one rally (Finger Lakes, 09) and one major moto vacation (Nova Scotia/Canada- 3K miles and two solid weeks with another couple) under our belts. Mostly, we just day-trip around on weekends- SUMMER weekends, as she doesn't want to go out in real cold. But I, too, love having her along. Guy-time is cool and all, I really love it when my buddies and I get together, which happens less and less these days- but IMO having the ladies along enhances the day/ride.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

I absolutely love riding with my girlfriend on the pillion. I couldn't imagine riding with out her. We have a Scala intercom system, and being able to talk to each other is fantastic. We both see things that the other didn't see all the time, and can alert the other to take a look!

We have tried riding with other couples, but with few exceptions, we prefer to ride alone. We can do what we want, stop with out taking a vote, and ride as slow or fast as we wish.

The exception is when we ride with a couple who have well over 100,000 miles of riding two up. When we ride together, we pick a destination and we say, "See you there!" and we head out and meet up again when we get there. I don't need or like to see my friends tail pipe for hours and miles on end, nor does he want to see mine.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Spouse and I ride separate bikes and neither of us are interested in bike to bike comms. It seems to work pretty good for us. We are together, yet apart. I can put on the music that I like (and he hates) and sing to my hearts content. Pretty sure he does the same. hahaha

If there is something important enough to say to him, I'll find a spot and pull off the road.
    Too damn many bikes to list

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    I absolutely love riding with my girlfriend on the pillion. I couldn't imagine riding with out her. We have a Scala intercom system, and being able to talk to each other is fantastic. We both see things that the other didn't see all the time, and can alert the other to take a look!

We have tried riding with other couples, but with few exceptions, we prefer to ride alone. We can do what we want, stop with out taking a vote, and ride as slow or fast as we wish.
    Pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Exact same thing with my wife of 33 years, we love doing everything together. We have almost always rode alone and prefer it that way, once in a while my son will come along on his KLR but he doesn't have an intercom......for a reason
    Besides, with her along I have a nice backrest.

"He didn't shut-up for 2000 miles; I swore right then that was the last time for me. I prefer to ride alone, in the quiet without any new tech toys."

There is an on/off switch...just saying.
    JWMcDonald
    2003 R1150RS (current) / 1978 R80/7 (prior)
    1966 R69S (prior) / 1972 R75/5 (prior)
    Windsor, California

Get a new wife

My first wife would not ride. Wife #2 had experience on dirt bikes; so getting her a BMW /6 just made sense; especially when I found it for $900.00. She rode it for three years when I sold my R69S and bought a R100RT. She traveled with me on that; but with two people and luggage, the pace was "leisurely". We got quite a reception at the BMW-RA at the Biltmore in 2004. Imagine her behind me with her rat terrier and a bike packed with enough for a week, including a collapsible cooler hung around the handlebars. I found a steal in a R1100RT in 2006 and our travels have been much more frequent and MUCH faster. The folks who attend the Low Country Boil in Tybee Island every year can attest to the fact that her dog loves the new bike. I like my new wife.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I like my new wife.
    That's a great thing!!!
    Tonya
    2007 F800ST - Lovin' it!!

P Monk

Riding with my bride

I have been riding with my wife since I was 19 she was 17. I am now 62 so that is a few years. We have always done things together, and when she got interested in birding I finally bought some binoculars and joined her. We have traveled many many miles combining our two hobbies. She is the one who decided we needed communicators. I resisted but finally relented and bought some. Now wouldn't want to travel without them.

Our big goal has been to ride to Alaska, but we haven't been able to do that yet because 2 years ago she came down with aplastic anemia. After a year she recovered enough to make another trip to Arizona, one of the best trips you can imagine.

As I write this I am in the Methodist hospital in Houston. Donna had a bone marrow transplant last wednesday. She is doing well and we are just waiting for the donated marrow to ingraft and for her to finally return to good health. She probably won't be able to ride for a long while, but we are looking forward to the day when we can pack our GS, pack her binoculars and get back on the road.

Please consider logging on to www.bethematch.org or just google be the match.
    Getting on the registry is easy, cotton swabs rubbed in the mouth and mailed back to Be the Match.

I thank God that some day we can ride together again.
    Last edited by dpmonk; 11-19-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: correct
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

Can't wait to read that Ride Report

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

I'm in the registry

Quote Originally Posted by dpmonk View Post
    I have been riding with my wife since I was 19 she was 17. I am now 62 so that is a few years. We have always done things together, and when she got interested in birding I finally bought some binoculars and joined her. We have traveled many many miles combining our two hobbies. She is the one who decided we needed communicators. I resisted but finally relented and bought some. Now wouldn't want to travel without them.

Our big goal has been to ride to Alaska, but we haven't been able to do that yet because 2 years ago she came down with aplastic anemia. After a year she recovered enough to make another trip to Arizona, one of the best trips you can imagine.

As I write this I am in the Methodist hospital in Houston. Donna had a bone marrow transplant last wednesday. She is doing well and we are just waiting for the donated marrow to ingraft and for her to finally return to good health. She probably won't be able to ride for a long while, but we are looking forward to the day when we can pack our GS, pack her binoculars and get back on the road.

Please consider logging on to www.bethematch.org or just google be the match.
    Getting on the registry is easy, cotton swabs rubbed in the mouth and mailed back to Be the Match.

I thank God that some day we can ride together again.
    Beautiful post. You are a good man. One of my friends at work same disease hit is daughter, thousands came forward to swab, I was already registered from years earlier when another friend from work needed bone marrow. I hope she gets well soon. Maybe while in the hospital y'all can watch "the big year" with Steve Martin.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Caribbean Druid
    My wife and I have been best riding buddies for 14 years, ever since she got her first riding endorsement. Now she's an MSF RiderCoach with me, we ride and teach track together, take long trips whenever possible and even run our own company in the motorcycle industry. We've probably got 200K+ miles together and always want to ride more. That being said, she never hesitates to tell me to go out and ride if she's busy. She rides her own, cleans her own, helps wrench on them. Oh, and she's seriously smart and cute as well. It's nice when your wife is also your best friend and your riding buddy! My love, on the track!:

250886_2061643266921_1419897292_32302115_51551_n.jpg

THAT...is just HOT!!! Good for you both!!!
    Tonya
    2007 F800ST - Lovin' it!!

P Monk

Thanks Ranger...

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Beautiful post. You are a good man. One of my friends at work same disease hit is daughter, thousands came forward to swab, I was already registered from years earlier when another friend from work needed bone marrow. I hope she gets well soon. Maybe while in the hospital y'all can watch "the big year" with Steve Martin.
    I don't know about being good. I am looking forward to the day when God accomplishes that. It will be quite a feat.

I just want to thank you for being willing to be a donor. We were blessed that somewhere in europe a young man was willing to donate his marrow. One of two 9 of 10 matches. Knowing what I do now I wish I had done more before I got too old. We did watch "the Big Year" last year. It was hilarious. Maybe I can rent it while when she is released from the hospital.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.