Thread: Aftermarket exhaust systems

Aftermarket exhaust systems

My 82 RS has a little too much bark with the Luftmiester 2 into 1. I am looking at a new system. The Epco product is considerably less expensive than the Staintune. Does anyone know why? I believe they are both quality systems.

You might want to look at Moto-Bins for the Sito Exhaust replacements.

They look stock, well made a little more throaty than the originals.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Sito

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Cainey View Post

Sito's are good. I agree on the throaty sound, but it's cool. Believe it or not, JC Whitney has EMGO's. Not sure if they are any good, but at $59.00 can one go wrong?

Link:
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/emgo-univer...4658d58297u0j1
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by helmut_head View Post
    Believe it or not, JC Whitney has EMGO's. Not sure if they are any good, but at $59.00 can one go wrong?

Link:
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/emgo-univer...4658d58297u0j1
    I will need the entire system. Headers, crossovers, clamps and silencers. I want first quality stuff, and I am concerned about value, not necessarily cheapness. I know Epco and Staintune are very good, but wondered why the disparity in costs. Could one be $300 better than the other? I don't need polished stainless steel. Good chrome is good.

It is the stingy man who spends the most

I bought a new system for my '86 R80 from Rocky Point Cycle. Had a 2-into-1 Mac system
    before that the 2nd owner installed. It was junk and about falling off from rust. Leaked everywhere
    from the jury-rigged installation. Bought the oem-style twin piped system and it is a sweet and QUIET
    addition. Love it.
    Site is www.rockypointcycle.com. Stainless steel system. Beautiful.
    Last edited by captainmako21; 11-13-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: addl. info added

jimmy armour

sito for me

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Cainey View Post

totally agree with Darryl motobins ,is the way to go I have sito on my 1977 r100s/rs for about 10 years now,no problems,see recent photos in airhead pic site,they also sell stainless steel,english made keinan had them but didn't like the note "flat"also the guy who sells the rear sets, advertised on moa mag seem good value hope this assists, Jimmy

Don't know whether it helps, but I had Staintune slip ons on both my Ducs. They were some of the best made kit I've ever bought. Looked like they'd be good for the life of a BMW airhead.
    61 Gold Star, 76 R90S, 03 CBR600RR, '13 690 Duke, '14 Street Triple R

I have the Keihans on my 81 R100RT. They are a stainless exhaust built to OEM specs. Same look, sound and fitment. I tried the EPCO's but fitment was a problem and they were louder but the finish was very nice. The welds were ground smooth and polished. They are now made off shore and not in Ohio.

Friends that have the Sito's like them. The JC Whitney EMGO's are made in the far east and will rust sooner then most other steel units. No experience with the Staintune's other then they are Australian made.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmako21 View Post
    I bought a new system for my '86 R80 from Rocky Point Cycle. Had a 2-into-1 Mac system
    before that the 2nd owner installed. It was junk and about falling off from rust. Leaked everywhere
    from the jury-rigged installation. Bought the oem-style twin piped system and it is a sweet and QUIET
    addition. Love it.
    Site is www.rockypointcycle.com. Stainless steel system. Beautiful.
    PAS - my system is Keihan, too. They are very nice as you mention.

Thumbs up

Another vote for Keihan. Just put a complete system on an '83. Fits well, is quiet, and being SS it will last.

Rubber Chicken sells them.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
    I will need the entire system. Headers, crossovers, clamps and silencers. I want first quality stuff, and I am concerned about value, not necessarily cheapness. I know Epco and Staintune are very good, but wondered why the disparity in costs. Could one be $300 better than the other? I don't need polished stainless steel. Good chrome is good.

It is the stingy man who spends the most
    "Just let that one slide. Yer from Michitucky." Helmut said to himself.
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

TCSales1

Aftermarket Exhaust

I put on a complete exhaust system on my 1983 R80RT from Niche Cycle, after 2 full riding seasons and 10K+ miles it looks great! Comments from some of my fellow riding buddies is that it sounds great nice tone, but still BMW quiet. It has no signs of rust, chrome is bright, and was priced right, installed like OEM. The header pipes have a single crossover tube instead of the OEM twin crossover tubes. I have no affiliation with this supplier or financial interest. I do recommend it as a viable aftermarket system that maintains the the OEM visual.
    Jeff W.

I am watching this thread closely. Would love to loose the front muffler on my 92 RS. Exhausts for these models are few it seems.
    Jim Gregory
    92 R100RS
    05 Sportster Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by JGREGOR1.JG View Post
    Would love to loose the front muffler on my 92 RS. Exhausts for these models are few it seems.
    In 98 I bought a 95 R100RT that only had 3K miles on it. The PO had made extensive mods to it, including cutting the front muffler open and removing the guts, then welding it back together. It did sound a bit louder, but not in a pleasant way. He also put on a K&N filter, re-jetted the carbs to run richer, and raised the needle valves. When I got the bike it would barely would hit 95 and only got about 30 mpg. It was also hard to start.

I returned it to stock, including replacing the front muffler. It now would top 115 and the mileage went up to the mid 40's. I cannot believe the front muffler made that much difference, but I can tell you that the exhaust was not improved. That said, I have seen others that just remove it and install pipes to replace it.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post
    In 98 I bought a 95 R100RT that only had 3K miles on it. The PO had made extensive mods to it, including cutting the front muffler open and removing the guts, then welding it back together. It did sound a bit louder, but not in a pleasant way. He also put on a K&N filter, re-jetted the carbs to run richer, and raised the needle valves. When I got the bike it would barely would hit 95 and only got about 30 mpg. It was also hard to start.

I returned it to stock, including replacing the front muffler. It now would top 115 and the mileage went up to the mid 40's. I cannot believe the front muffler made that much difference, but I can tell you that the exhaust was not improved. That said, I have seen others that just remove it and install pipes to replace it.

Wayne
    Yes there is an H pipe that replaces it. I don't know how it affects anything other then I just don't care for that front muffler. I am only investigating at this time though.
    Jim Gregory
    92 R100RS
    05 Sportster Roadster