Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Remote fuses / relocate?

lubbent

fuse relocator

As I recall, the fuse relocator was essentially a fuse replacement that had wires that shunted outside to an external holder. So I sacrificed two fuses to make two. I cut the fuse metallic element, soldered wires to each end, wrapped the things to provide mechanical strength, and ran the wires outside to external holders. So the relocators act just like fuses, and can be removed, and replaced with fuses if you like. No mods to the machine, no soldering, and very servicable.
    I believe the old relocators were this principle. Any geezers like me out there care to chime in?

Quote Originally Posted by 9662 View Post
    As I recall, the fuse relocator was essentially a fuse replacement that had wires that shunted outside to an external holder. So I sacrificed two fuses to make two. I cut the fuse metallic element, soldered wires to each end, wrapped the things to provide mechanical strength, and ran the wires outside to external holders. So the relocators act just like fuses, and can be removed, and replaced with fuses if you like. No mods to the machine, no soldering, and very servicable.
    I believe the old relocators were this principle. Any geezers like me out there care to chime in?
    Hey! I'm an "old Geezer." I think your idea is pretty good and one that came from "thinking outside the box." I like changes that do not fundamentally change the original design. Yours is like that. Does what you want (re-locate outside the headlight) but requires minimal work and minimal changes.

Only issue would be that you need to make sure original fuses (that were modified) need to make good electrical contact, and that they don't get dislodged.

Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    I have a 1982 R100RS, with the fuses buried in the headlight shell and fairing. Does anyone have a clever way to relocate these outside of there somewhere?
    Thanks!
    There used to be a kit for this; I had one installed on my RS. I'll see if I can find it in my Airhead binder.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Actually," back in the day", there was an advertisement in the BMWMOA News for a device that mounted between the risers of the handlebars and was a set of CIRCUIT BREAKERS to move the fused connections to that point. Supposedly they were the type of breakers that would reset themselves after "X" amount of time. They also could be mounted in another location or in the dash of a fairing.
    Really don't think they lasted long as a useful item as there would be problems with shorts/heat/burning up pieces of harness, and how many times they could reset themselves..................Ahhhhh so great to have so much junk loading up the main memory banks and then getting corrupted by all the new coming in.......God bless..........Dennis

Retrieved from my collection of ancient Airhead literature: it was a San Jose kit, and here are the instructions:

Worked well in my bike, but nothing caused anything to trip the breakers.
    Last edited by RINTY; 11-20-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Thanks for all the help! We had our first snow here last nite, so maybe this weekend dig into it. I hadn't thought about using other terminals on the board.