Thread: Lower '98 R1100 gs

Lower '98 R1100 gs

I want to lower my R1100 GS but don't want to spend a fortune. I have to stand on my tip toes. Anyone have any suggestions?Riders Bikes.jpg

Rusty

Two...

1 - I'll move this to the right forum - oilheads - since that's what your GS is.
    2 - Shocks off an RT of the same vintage will bolt right up and lower your bike. You may have centerstand/sidestand difficulties, nothing that cutting and welding won't fix.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Two...

1 - I'll move this to the right forum - oilheads - since that's what your GS is.
    2 - Shocks off an RT of the same vintage will bolt right up and lower your bike. You may have centerstand/sidestand difficulties, nothing that cutting and welding won't fix.
    Don is, of course, correct. I've put R1100RT shocks on R1100GS bikes twice. It is an easy way to lower the bike. The centerstand becomes a bear to use. The side stand needs to be shortened.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Two...

I'm new at this forum stuff, I'll catch on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Don is, of course, correct. I've put R1100RT shocks on R1100GS bikes twice. It is an easy way to lower the bike. The centerstand becomes a bear to use. The side stand needs to be shortened.
    I'm new at this forum stuff, I'll catch on.

Tell your Newfoundland to sleep somewhere else. The bike will feel a LOT lower if you're not sitting on him.

Seriously, you can trade someone for their R1100R shocks, but you'll have to deal with the side stand and center stand once the bike is lowered more than about an inch.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org