Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 20 of 20

Thread: When did snowflakes come along?

  1. #16
    Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    IKEA sells ANTAGEN Dish-washing brushess ($0.99) brushes that have made the cleaning of my snowflake wheels much easier and quicker . Fortunately, I have had no discolouration issues.
    Thanks for the tip. I've been using a variety of dollar store brushes. The latest batch of round ones work surprisingly well but don't get into the tight bits. I have a friend who took his off as a winter project, cleaned them right up and painted them. Came out very well and he says they clean up easier now as well. Maybe that's the way to go someday. I've been trying to keep it mostly original other than ergo stuff.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I've been using a variety of dollar store brushes. The latest batch of round ones work surprisingly well but don't get into the tight bits. I have a friend who took his off as a winter project, cleaned them right up and painted them. Came out very well and he says they clean up easier now as well. Maybe that's the way to go someday. I've been trying to keep it mostly original other than ergo stuff.
    I have a spare front snowflake that someone has done that to. He is correct, the wheel looks much better, and is a piece of cake to clean.

    I still would like to powdercoat mine someday.

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    Max BMW fiche shows all naked R100's, thru 1984, with aluminum, not black, valve covers.
    The problem I have with this, is that mine has them, and two of the brochures for 1978 show some of them as black in their pics. Hmmmm?

    I know mine could have been changed over the years. I wish there were somewhere where one could look into the BMW dealer history and find where a particular bike was sold originally. That data is probably somewhere, but unobtainable.

    I think mine, though purchased from down south, came from up north somewhere at one time based upon PO comments when I purchased it.

    I would love to do an "ancestry" investigation - just to know its complete history for my own curiosity.

  4. #19
    Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    IKEA sells ANTAGEN Dish-washing brushess ($0.99) brushes that have made the cleaning of my snowflake wheels much easier and quicker . Fortunately, I have had no discolouration issues.
    While checking out these brushes I accidentally looked on the US Ikea site. These brushes are $0.49. Much like BMW parts at the dealer in Canada, they double the price. Why? Because they can I suppose.

    It's just a joy being a consumer up here...
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

  5. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    While checking out these brushes I accidentally looked on the US Ikea site. These brushes are $0.49. Much like BMW parts at the dealer in Canada, they double the price. Why? Because they can I suppose.

    It's just a joy being a consumer up here...
    Not sure if they have these brushes that you suggest, but for most anything industrial, periodically check McMaster-Carr (check internet site). They have most everything. I am not sure how it works trying to have stuff sent to Canada, but in all my dealings with them (hundreds of times) I have never had 1 mistake by them, and having stopped in their warehouse several times for will-call pickups and their warehouse is the most modern I have ever seen. Like from Star Wars or someplace, they have conveyor lines running all over the place. They have a policy to ship same day unless ordered late in the day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •