View Poll Results: Veterans check in - which branch of the US military?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Air Force

25 36.23%
  • Army

22 31.88%
  • Coast Guard

1 1.45%
  • Navy

13 18.84%
  • USMC

8 11.59%

Thread: Veterans check in

Hybrid View

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar

Veterans check in

And happy 238th to my brother Jarheads.

RickM, USMC 1972-76

Semper Fi.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Navy, but remember most fondly my time with the Corps. Nearly half of my service was with the Marines, first as a corpsman with a rifle company and later as a PA with an infantry regiment.

Prior to my second deployment my unit was inspected by a Major General from HQMC. Aside from boot camp and HM A school all of my time at that point had been with the Marines. I knew everything there was to know about every weapon in the company - ranges, muzzle velocities, rates of fire - and could field strip any of them. So I felt prepared to answer any question the general asked of me...except the one he asked.

"Doc," he boomed, "when is the Navy's birthday?"

I had no freakin' idea! Panic began to set in as I fixated on those two stars on his collar. Finally, inspiration struck.

"Sir!" I bellowed. "The only date that matters to me is 10 November 1775, sir!"

There was a collective gasp from my CO and 1st SGT. I thought the platoon LT was going to pass out. The general stared at me for a few seconds then burst out laughing and clapped me on the shoulder with a blow that nearly knocked me over.

"Damnit, Doc! You're alright!"
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Navy, but remember most fondly my time with the Corps. Nearly half of my service was with the Marines, first as a corpsman with a rifle company and later as a PA with an infantry regiment.

Prior to my second deployment my unit was inspected by a Major General from HQMC. Aside from boot camp and HM A school all of my time at that point had been with the Marines. I knew everything there was to know about every weapon in the company - ranges, muzzle velocities, rates of fire - and could field strip any of them. So I felt prepared to answer any question the general asked of me...except the one he asked.

I had no freakin' idea! Panic began to set in as I fixated on those two stars on his collar. Finally, inspiration struck.

There was a collective gasp from my CO and 1st SGT. I thought the platoon LT was going to pass out. The general stared at me for a few seconds then burst out laughing and clapped me on the shoulder with a blow that nearly knocked me over.

Great story!!!!!
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post

Oh man, that is a great story -- and it reminded me of my first USMC birthday celebration and first IG inspection!

In 1972, the date 10 November fell on a Friday. Having missed the cutoff for Vietnam, just a few weeks earlier I had arrived at Camp Courtney, Okinawa at what was at the time HG 3rd MarDiv.

In classic fashion we all imbibed on Friday the 10th, having spent the entire week getting ready for the IG inspection on Saturday the 11th.

When the lights came on Saturday morning I was commode hugging sick, and still fairly drunk.

Somehow I made it over to the armory to check out my weapon. I don't' remember a thing about getting dressed or laying out my gear. But when the time came, I snapped to attention as a major stepped into my cubicle. My stomach was roiling and I was wobbling slightly as I stood.

He looked in my lockers and then at the 782 gear on the rack. Then stepped in front of me --

"Marine, did you enjoy your first birthday ball?"

Swaying slightly, head pounding and suppressing a belch, I croaked out "Sir, Yes SIR!"

With that he turned and left the cubicle without another word.

After we were dismissed I crashed on the rack, in my Alpha uniform, and having shoved out a space -- in between all of the gear.

When I awakened that afternoon my rifle was missing. After a few minutes of panic I went over to the armory to check and lo and behold, someone had turned it in.

I never did find out who turned my weapon back into the armory, and it was sometime on Sunday before I stopped puking up green bile.

It was also the last USMC birthday where I overindulged -- to that extent.

Thank you for your service. In my book the platoon Corpsman ranks higher than the general...
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Sergeant Don Stanley, United States Army, 1968-1974, 5/32nd Artillery.

Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Marine By Choice #188306

Happy Birthday, Marines

To my Marine Corps Brothers and Sisters I wish you Happy 238th Birthday and a heartfelt Semper Fidelis!

Keith A. Birkhofer
    Sergeant
    1965-1970
    C-1/7 Chu Lai RVN 1966-1967
    Marine Barracks Bremerton 1967
    Marine Security Guard Saigon, RVN 1968-1970

Navy Seabee - NMCB 62 - Danang, S. Vietnam - Hill 55 - 1970 - CM PO2. Happy Birthday to our Marines brothers for whom we built the roads on which they arrived (he said with a smile).
    Last edited by Motodan; 11-10-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post
    Sergeant Don Stanley, United States Army, 1968-1974, 5/32nd Artillery.

So Don, I was with the 1/32d (same regimental crest and same motto: Proud Americans, of course) in Germany in the late 70s. The 1/32d was a Lance missile battalion (nuclear capable). What type weapon was your 5/32d?
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

MotoDan, same as you, only about 6 mos. to a year later and a CE.

ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    So Don, I was with the 1/32d (same regimental crest and same motto: Proud Americans, of course) in Germany in the late 70s. The 1/32d was a Lance missile battalion (nuclear capable). What type weapon was your 5/32d?
    Hello Royce, our weapon was the nuclear capable Honest John Rocket!

Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

SGT E-5
    US Army Paratrooper
    E co 505th PIR, D co 2/505 PIR 82nd Airborne Div 1983 - 1986
    "All the way" "AATW!"

1/87 light Inf, 10th Mountain Div. 1986 - 1987
    "To the top"

Happy Holidays fellow vets

Lovely firebase Rakkasan in the Ashau valley of Viet Nam December 1969. On a clear day you could see Hamburger Hill.
    I was in the 101st Army Div. 2/319th artillery.
    We spent Christmas Day filling sand bags, heating our C-rations with left over gun powder and shot fire missions when the infantry called for it.Vietnam 19c Christmas 1969 at Rakkasan.jpg
    It was too foggy for the NVA to mortar us.
    Nardowell
    Hoa Binh (Peace)
    Vietnam '69 and '70
    2012 R1200R classic

US Navy Submarine Service 1968-1974, EM2(SS)

USS Lafayette SSBN616 Gold Crew, USS Silversides SSN679

"Miles of ocean, miles of deep"
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

I'll ride anything scooter trash's Avatar
    My father was a submariner in WWII served on it from the time it came out of the yard till the end of the war.
    http://www.subvetpaul.com/USS-Hardhead-SS-365.htm
    1996 Harley Springer, 2011 R1200RT
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it?s best not to stir it.

Navy Dive School Ford Island 2001

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    The dive school no longer exists, it's been consolidated at PC Florida, I attended one of the last classes. Did the hull inspection for training on the Kameahmeah, and the Missouri, dove on the remains of the Utah, and after the school I had the opportunity to be one of the few divers to dive on the Arizona. My army beret is tipped towards the sub community, very professional hard core men.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."