Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Considering another AirHead

slow&fast

Smile

An impressive list of bikes you owned Wayne! At the least you can say you have ridden them all... And contemplating your next move is not necessary bad, this keeps things interesting...

As for me, I am suffering the opposite syndrome... I have an R60/6 and a R90S and wouldn't want to miss either one... I cannot let go...I have never ridden a nineties Airheads so no advice here... But my next bike would probably be another airhead... go for it!
    sometimes one goes slow, sometimes one goes fast.

I say go for it. There weren't all that many Airhead RT's made, and much fewer monoshocks. The RT's are light enough to be an all around everyday do whatever bike - a far cry from the current LT or (gasp) a GoldWing. Since you already had an R80, you are aware of the occasional fiddling these need.
    I have RS's, and RT's, and the RT's are my favorite all around. A naked one around here costs months of riding season

Quote Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post
    I do not want to hijack this thread, but I suffer from the dreaded ?The Grass is Greener? syndrome. It causes me to do dumb things such as sell and buy bikes, only to realize later that I made a mistake. Bad thing, it is about to bite me again. I am thinking of selling my R1200R to get something lighter, easier to handle.

My list so far over the past 48 years that I have been riding.
    64 Ducati 250 MKIV Scrambler (new)
    67 Honda 305 Scrambler (new)
    73 Yamaha TX 650 (new)
    74 BMW R90S (used)
    75 Moto Guzzi 850T (new)
    78 Honda 750F (new)
    78 BMW R100RS Motorsport (used)
    79 Triumph 750 Bonneville (new)
    86 R80RT BMW (new)
    87 BMW K100LT (new)
    89 BMW R100RS (used)
    95 BMW R100RT (used)
    97 BMW R1100RT (new)
    2001 BMW R1100RT (used)
    2001 Ducati 750 Monster (new)
    2001 Ducati 900 Monster (new)
    2004 BMW R1100S (new)
    2005 Harley 1200 Sportster (new)
    2007 BMW F800S (new)
    2007 Triumph Scrambler (used)
    2012 BMW R1200R (new, still have)

Wayne
    Yikes- it's worse than I thought! Just kidding, of course- that's a great bunch of bikes you've enjoyed over the years. I have a few regrets of my own, mostly my old Triumph 750 Bonneville (76) and a BMW car ('84 533i? this was a really fun car). I have a few I don't miss so much either, though I'm glad I had them to experience.

Back on topic, I'd say go for it as well. I'm enjoying my new to me RS.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Red Mazda Miatas ("Jelly Bean" and "Red Hot")
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

Thanks for all the encouragement /enabling

But sadly I have decided it's really time to hang up my helmet and find another hobby to replace motorcycling.
    Truth be told I have been wrestling with this for the last three bikes, I just don't enjoy riding that much anymore and have some real serious back issues. Riding only exacerbates the back problem, I have spent a ton of money going through spinal decompression therapy to hopefully avoid major back surgery.

So i will be placing an advert in the flea market soon to sell off a bunch of good serviceable gear.

Try something different with your back and shoulders

I am not a doctor but I had issues with my hands and shoulders that felt like torn rotators and at times a broken wrist. I could not ride a mile and would have to stop to let the pain subside so I could turn around and go home. I had an MRI of my neck and found a narrow section that was pinching nerves and causing the problem, the cause of that was sleeping face down and lying in bed reading face down. I changed that behavior and after one week of the proper physical therapy to treat the issue I was back on the bike for 30-40 mile rides and after a full 8 weeks of the correct treatment I had no problem with 300-600 mile rides and on a variety of bikes from the stable.

Here's my hijack
    1955 R 50, '62 R 50S, '65 R 69S(grey), '68 R 60US(original red project), '69 R 60US (Dover white), '71 R 75/5, '73 R75/5, two /5 bikes in progress , '75 R 90/6 X 2, '75 R 90S (restoration in progress), One /6 bike in progress '79 R 100S, '97 850R rework, '01 Kawasaki W 650 X 2, 04 GSA, 06 HP-2 Enduro, Thruxton, Bonnie SE, Scrambler and I have a deposit on the R Nine T. I've bought and sold a few in between and miss all.

I hope you try something different to see if you can sort out your back issue and get back on two wheels.

Good luck

I understand, I am going through the same decision process. I have been fighting health issues too, but do not want to stop all riding. Today I looked at a XT 250 Yamaha that I may get if the R1200 goes away this spring. Big enough to still allow me to ride a bit, but too small to allow me to ride far. Maybe something similar may work for you. It will feel awful lonely to go in the garage and not see a bike sitting there, something that has not happened in almost 48 years.

Wayne

My garage has soooo much space in it now that all the bikes are gone, but it sure is lonely out there.
    This morning my tool box asked me if he was next to go

I plan to keep just enough gear that if things improve dramatically I can get something small and then ride a little.
    I said that when i bought the Burgman , but the riding position was awful hard on my back.

Ever the optimist , I still hold out that I can pass a physical ( someday) and get my racing license back , then do some AHRMA stuff

Quote Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post
    I do not want to hijack this thread, but I suffer from the dreaded ?The Grass is Greener? syndrome. It causes me to do dumb things such as sell and buy bikes, only to realize later that I made a mistake. Bad thing, it is about to bite me again. I am thinking of selling my R1200R to get something lighter, easier to handle.

My list so far over the past 48 years that I have been riding.
    64 Ducati 250 MKIV Scrambler (new)
    67 Honda 305 Scrambler (new)
    73 Yamaha TX 650 (new)
    74 BMW R90S (used)
    75 Moto Guzzi 850T (new)
    78 Honda 750F (new)
    78 BMW R100RS Motorsport (used)
    79 Triumph 750 Bonneville (new)
    86 R80RT BMW (new)
    87 BMW K100LT (new)
    89 BMW R100RS (used)
    95 BMW R100RT (used)