Thread: re-wiring aux power outlet

re-wiring aux power outlet

Well, I have taken off all the plastic for the purpose of wiring my outlet directly to a fuse block I have. To someone who has also done this, did you cut off the factory connector from the outlet and splice on a new pigtail or did you completely replace the outlet.

thanks

I used an outlet and wiring from Powerlet for both front and rear outlets on our 09R1200RT to an Eastern Beaver fuse block. No cutting of factory wires.
    Chris

2009 BMW R1200RT (Shaun), 2004 MINI Cooper S (Gromit), 2006 BMW X3 (Wallace)

wwalton,

Welcome to the forums.. You might take a look at: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46055 - you seem to be missing info like the year/model of your BMW. That info is often useful since some things are year/model specific.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

On the RT you can add a powerlet direct to battery or a fuse block simply by drilling a hole in the rear of the bike panel directly opposite the factory accessory outlet at the rear. You'll see they left you a nice flat at that spot that just invites this mirror image install.

Of course, if your bikes lacks the factory rear outlet, you could also put it where the factory one goes.

That gives you an outlet for your passenger that will actually work with heated gear or a normal charger, etc while you have access to the full 10A capacity of the front outlet without sharing it with you passenger (its inadequate for heated gear for 2 and will shut off if you plug in a couple heated jackets on that circuit)

Above needs no cutting of factory wiring.

No need to cut anything. Simple unplug the old outlet, remove it and replace with a Powerlet. You can convert back to the original at any time if you wish.
    2014 R1200GS Adventure

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I hate cutting any connectors on any vehicle. Make adapters instead. Crutchfield was the large scale pioneer for using this method.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by wwalton View Post
    Well, I have taken off all the plastic for the purpose of wiring my outlet directly to a fuse block I have. To someone who has also done this, did you cut off the factory connector from the outlet and splice on a new pigtail or did you completely replace the outlet.

thanks
    This Best of Forum may give you some ideas-
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...r-Distribution
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

rewired

got a replacement outlet and harness from powerlet and that will be going in this weekend wired directly to the battery. the OEM unit will go into the storage cabinet. thanks for all the advice.
    bw