Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My Update From Lima

quite camping, an oxymoron?

Greetings,

I have always thought that trying to keep one area designated as loud and another as quiet is impractical, especially at a large event when everyone ends up "peg to peg". I think that designating an area as loud can encourage some to be as loud as they can, or that anything goes.

My home club, the Yankee Beemers, have a reputation for being a bit rambunctious. Not puke behind the tent kind but stay up late jawing and drinking beer. We used to rope off "our" area but this gets obnoxious. The spirit behind the MOA rally is supposed to be one of camaraderie. What we do now is find a spot near shade, set up our club gear and have at it. We don't tell anyone where they can or can not camp (been there done that, it's lame) but when we see someone new setting up nearby we do introduce ourselves and welcome them to the neighborhood. We tell them that we can be loud late and we hope to avoid problems before they become problems. We also invite them to be loud with us. If they have children with them we strongly suggest that this is not a kid friendly environment. This year everyone we approached said that is what ear plugs are for and we had no problems. It has been a long time since anyone nearby complained, perhaps we are getting soft.

What I think is a better solution is to have an area designated as family camping. This would accomplish a few goals.

First, it would identify an area where families could camp with other families. This would be great for the kids as they might enjoy the rally more if they were camping with other kids.

Second, it would identify an area where folks would be expected to behave with some decorum. Kids go to bed early so it should be quiet. Ideally this area would be large enough so anyone who wanted quiet without children could find a spot.

Best,
    Rob Nye
    06 R1200GSADV 06 R1200RTP
    IBA 250 My Iron Butt Rally Blog
    Bristol, Rhode Island USA
    Proud to move oil

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar

Thumbs up

I really like the idea of family camping area; as I am hoping to bring my kid with me next year.

As for other camping choices, the marking should read: Loud and louder. For quiet, you'd need a remote site.

Bring on the quiet and shade of Vermont! Start planning now!
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Rob, I was pitched about 2-3 tents from the Yankee Beemers, and you guys weren't loud at all. Someone did stop by, and let me know to come talk to you guys too, if you were too loud. Something like "come have a beer with us if we're too loud" I think was the statement, but the point came across. Friendly group, too bad you guys are so far away during the year.

A family area is a good idea, though.

- Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that? - Lisa Clayman
    - A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain. --Robert Frost

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar

Even though I don't like "kids"...

I like the kid friendly area. I was camped close to a family and I did curtail some of my usual deabuchery so as to not be a bad influence on the kids. I also was trying to watch my language. I think that people bringing kids and kids being able to have fun should be encouraged.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Unregistered

Bradfordben...

What do you use to attach those ears to your helmet

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Suction cups. They have been up to 100MPH on the track and stuck. Aerostich $12.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    What do you use to attach those ears to your helmet
    http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...8&cat=0&page=1
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer
    I really like the idea of family camping area; as I am hoping to bring my kid with me next year.

As for other camping choices, the marking should read: Loud and louder. For quiet, you'd need a remote site.

Bring on the quiet and shade of Vermont! Start planning now!
    Only down side is that the family camping area might fill up with solo riders looking to get away from late nite noise and bad behavior. They seem to aready be filling up the quiet area looking for some peace and not getting it there.

I am looking forward to Vermont. I will get a preview this fall with the local club then perhaps a pre-rally event next year from the same group. VT rules!
    MarkF