Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2013 R 1200 RT - Cold natured?

It is very easy to do a simple experiment to see if it is lean on start up. Add some extra fuel, do not use ether, it knocks. I use either propane or carb cleaner. With the carb cleaner you can stick the hose in the snorkel and spray. If the stumble goes away, you were lean, if it gets worse, you were already rich.

You also can pull off the tubes to the evaporate emissions, this will admit a little air, if you are rich this will lean it a bit. This will tell you which way you are off.

I suspect if you are lean, it is because of some defect like an air leak, low fuel pressure, slight injector imbalance, air in fuel line.

If you are rich check for a dripping injector.

Rod

If the 1200 fuel injection & throttle bodies are anything like the 1150, and I strongly suspect they are, pulling the hoses to the canister does NOT "lean" the mix.
    It simply admits more air, just like opening the throttle plate a little bit.
    Mixture is controlled by the computer: how long the injectors are open.
    If you pull one or both hoses, the idle speed increases because the computer thinks the plate is flowing more air, so it adds more fuel.

The OP was having problems while cranking, and when it is cold before the O2 sensor becomes active this usually does it. I do not know how the computer would tell when the engine is cranking. If not then I would try the oxygen from my cutting torch.

Rod

Any time the engine is turning over, regardless of whether it's fired up or not (given that the ignition key is "On"), the computer receives the trigger pulses from the ignition system.

Roger's fueling graphs clearly show that the bikes are lean, so yes, manually asking the computer for more fuel (via "throttle") can ease cold starts.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    The OP was having problems while cranking, ....

Rod
    I guess I didn't phrase that quite right. I should have written: After the bike started, it ran rough for a short period. It has only done that once since. I do occasionally have a little hesitation for the first quarter mile if I don't let it warm up a little.
    Larry
    Midnight Blue 2013 BMW R1200RT (purchased 9/24/2013)
    2010 Harley Road Glide (gone after 61,964 miles)
    2001 Harley Electra Glide (gone after 138,048 miles)

Quote Originally Posted by xlarry View Post
    I do occasionally have a little hesitation for the first quarter mile if I don't let it warm up a little.
    My '11 RT would do the exact same thing. By the time I would get out of the subdivision, it would run flawlessly. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

I don't know.
    I don't think I'm confused about anything. I know exactly how to start my bike. When I remember to crank the throttle a bit, like the book says.
    I remember the old days, with spark advance, as well as chokes, and adjusting and setting and cranking for oh too long. And don't forget, kick starters.
    I remember a Honda I had. Even if it was 60 here I had to set the choke at about 6 of a scale 1 to 10, if it had a scale. It didn't. I just had to feel it.
    At 7 or 5 it wouldn't start. 6 only.
    Then it had to warm up for 2 1/2 minutes.
    I'd rather not go back to those days.
    A little throttle crank doesn't bother me at all.
    Oh, and the GS911 never said anything about it, on my bike, or on many others either.
    dc