Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Indianapolis person found guilty in killing motorcyclist

Indianapolis person found guilty in killing motorcyclist

Good news from Indiana...this one didn't get away....

http://www.wane.com/news/crime/jury-...d-bisard-trial

I'm not like the prosecutor in this article....I'd be proud to find a guilty party guilty, regardless of his/her occupation. Hope they throw the book at him. And this article doesn't even mention the DUI he got during the interval between his accident (killing/maiming) and when this trial started. That was just last summer (when he blew a .22) in this article...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...al-2010-crash/
    Last edited by Motodan; 11-06-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

Holy Cr..p. he was a police officer.
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2009 K1300GT, S1000RR sold, F650 sold
    2011 R1200GSA
    2014 Kawasaki DTracker 250 (Chiang Mai Thailand)

Convicted of 9 felony counts. Doubt that he will get off easy.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by roamingbeemer View Post
    Holy Cr..p. he was a police officer.
    Make sure you understated that the difference in someone being a police officer and not being a police officer is training and a job.

As a former police officer, I can tell you for a fact that police officers do the same stupid stuff other do - including driving drunk and hurting others. There are damn fine officers out there that are justifiably more outraged about another officer doing something like this, than others are. The public has a tendency to paint group of people with a fairly broad brush and some actually think "they're all like that".

Let me assure you that they are definitely not "all like that". Every group/occupation has their share of bad apples - and those that make the same mistakes we [as a group] all do from time to time.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

In my mind, it makes zero difference what a person does for a living, and all the difference what he or she does WHILE they're living.
    Somebody- ANYbody, who has this type of history -let alone killing someone while wasted and driving- should pay, to the fullest extent possible.
    Period.

Also, by my way of thinking, the prosecutor was dead right when he said, "there's no reason to celebrate today." And that it was a tragedy for all involved. I wholeheartedly agree.

Another [really] sad aspect of this is- even if Mr Bisard does serious jail time, there's every possibility that as soon as he can, after prison, parole, etc., he'll pick right back up where he left off with his addiction. Addiction is WAY bigger than most people realize. If you haven't been there yourself, or aren't closely related or connected to a hardcore addict, then you really cannot imagine how anything, any substance, can override all else, no matter what. Yet addiction IS that powerful. There Is only _______ (your substance here), and NOTHING else. Anyone who thinks they know otherwise, is completely delusional.

Sorry. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Have a nice day.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    Let me assure you that they are definitely not "all like that". Every group/occupation has their share of bad apples - and those that make the same mistakes we [as a group] all do from time to time.
    I agree with the above however would you not agree that those who are there, and trained, to serve and protect the public should be held to a higher standard than those of us Joe Averages? He was on duty, fer cryin' out loud.

As a former police officer, I can tell you for a fact that police officers do the same stupid stuff other do - including driving drunk and hurting others. There are damn fine officers out there that are justifiably more outraged about another officer doing something like this, than others are. The public has a tendency to paint group of people with a fairly broad brush and some actually think "they're all like that".

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    I agree with the above however would you not agree that those who are there, and trained, to serve and protect the public should be held to a higher standard than those of us Joe Averages? He was on duty, fer cryin' out loud.
    It's obvious that as a human, a police officer is subject to the same foibles & frailties, ups, downs, successes & failures as anyone else. Another point to note is that nobody ever makes much of a deal about the 99.9% of ANY group who, in unremarkable fashion, upholds every expectation and never screws up, or doesn't screw up so badly or publicly. The .1% is the group that creates all the buzz, that gets all the attention- media attention, often as not, and negative attention at that. SHOULD a police officer be held to any higher standard than anyone else? Should ANY public official be? Yeah, maybe we EXPECT they should. However, we might also ask that question of our entire society- of ourselves! I see things like this as merely a reflection of the bigger picture, of what is happening with people every where, on every level of our society. As it happens, most of us aren't making national news with our screw ups, no matter how egregious or devastating. If every citizen was under threat of similarly intense public scrutiny, do you suppose things would differ?

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    In my mind, it makes zero difference what a person does for a living, and all the difference what he or she does WHILE they're living.
    Somebody- ANYbody, who has this type of history -let alone killing someone while wasted and driving- should pay, to the fullest extent possible.
    Period.

Also, by my way of thinking, the prosecutor was dead right when he said, "there's no reason to celebrate today." And that it was a tragedy for all involved. I wholeheartedly agree.

Another [really] sad aspect of this is- even if Mr Bisard does serious jail time, there's every possibility that as soon as he can, after prison, parole, etc., he'll pick right back up where he left off with his addiction. Addiction is WAY bigger than most people realize. If you haven't been there yourself, or aren't closely related or connected to a hardcore addict, then you really cannot imagine how anything, any substance, can override all else, no matter what. Yet addiction IS that powerful. There Is only _______ (your substance here), and NOTHING else. Anyone who thinks they know otherwise, is completely delusional.

Sorry. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Have a nice day.
    If they ever make caffeine illegal I will be a felon. I have give the stuff up at least 5 times.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    It's obvious that as a human, a police officer is subject to the same foibles & frailties, ups, downs, successes & failures as anyone else. Another point to note is that nobody ever makes much of a deal about the 99.9% of ANY group who, in unremarkable fashion, upholds every expectation and never screws up, or doesn't screw up so badly or publicly. The .1% is the group that creates all the buzz, that gets all the attention- media attention, often as not, and negative attention at that. SHOULD a police officer be held to any higher standard than anyone else? Should ANY public official be? Yeah, maybe we EXPECT they should. However, we might also ask that question of our entire society- of ourselves! I see things like this as merely a reflection of the bigger picture, of what is happening with people every where, on every level of our society. As it happens, most of us aren't making national news with our screw ups, no matter how egregious or devastating. If every citizen was under threat of similarly intense public scrutiny, do you suppose things would differ?
    Well said.

I have always believed that anyone in a public position of authority should have higher integrity, high moral character, be motivated and lead by/live to a higher standard than the average citizen. They should be the cream of the crop. We elect, hire or promote them based on that premise.

The reality is, few actually achieve that lofty standard - they're essentially the same as you, me and [look left, look right] those guys and gals sitting next to us. Some are so blatant at their disdain for their position, they flaunt it publically - Think Marion Berry and the good crack-smokin' mayor of Toronto, CA.
    Last edited by SteveAikens; 11-17-2013 at 06:09 PM.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Well said.
    Thank you.

And PLEASE, don't get me started ...
    OK.

Well said.

I have always believed that anyone in a public position of authority should have higher integrity, high moral character, be motivated and lead by/live to a higher standard than the average citizen. They should be the cream of the crop. We elect, hire or promote them based on that premise.

The reality is, few actually achieve that lofty standard - they're essentially the same as you, me and [look left, look right] those guys and gals sitting next to us. Some are so blatant at their disdain for their position, they flaunt it publically - Think Marion Berry and the good crack-smokin' mayor of Toronto, CA.
    This might help explain it.

Last edited by 20774; 11-17-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Edited to delete content no longer in original post
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Hmmm... wonder when the PC police are gonna kill this thread for "political commentary"
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Probably pretty soon...this is seriously going off the rails, folks.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

"If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.