Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How does the 1600 look without bags

How does the 1600 look without bags

Does the 1600gt look odd without the bags? I like not having bags and was wondering what it looks like? Guess it a road trip to the dealer.

I searched Google Images for "K1600 without bags" and found this in a Remus ad:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Thanks - looks good.

No longer a member here
    It does look odd to me, just because the bags require a certain space betwwen the exhaust mufflers and the seat. Consequently, there is that gaping hole when the bags are removed. The picture does not "do it justice" I do not ride my GT without bags, even when they are empty and I don't need them.

Have to agree, there is absolutely no flow to the rear end of the K1600 when the bags are off. Kind of looks like a big ol' hook on the back of the bike. Obviously no thought was given to this prospect by BMW.

Rick

I guess it's a matter of opinion, I think it looks as good or better without the bags.

Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Guess i will have to see one in person.

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    I searched Google Images for "K1600 without bags" and found this in a Remus ad:
    This looked weird, but not because the bags were off (I kinda like the naked look btw)...

Puzzled? They whited/masked out the center stand in the image. Guess Remus wanted a clean under look.
    Business comes first, riding comes always. One puts bread on the table, the other eats all the bread. Oh well, I'm riding happy!
    Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum

Imagine if the license plate fender was not there and it was green.... the Hulk of sport touring
    Impressive looking even without the panniers...
    Own: '13 K1600GT & '95 K75
    Owned: R1200GSA, GS & K1300GT

No bags!

I think it looks very cool!
    '14 K1600 GTLE
    had '08 R1200RT
    had '08 F800ST
    had '05 R1200RT

I would not recommend riding an RT, GT, or 16 without the bags for two reasons (I think it looks good w/o bags).

1) If you low side, the bag takes a beating, but it holds the bike up. I've seen RTs, GTs, and 16GTLs lowsided many times, and the bike comes out with little damage. The vast majority is to the bag, and it is all cosmetic. Fix it or leave it, but the bike is able to ride away. The bad is designed to protect the bike. Remove it and your low side damage will be much more costly and likely disable the machine.

2) As above, the bag keeps the frame off the ground. This allows you to have a "safety pocket" to separate from the bike. You are likely on a low side to get up, brush off, and get back on the bike and go. Remove the bag and you will have 600+ pounds of German steel, aluminum, and plastic grinding your ankle and leg into the asphalt.

Whether it looks good is debatable, but it is not a smart idea to ride that way.

Here's my bike after about a 30 foot slide on asphalt. The blue tape marks the damage to the side case and the valve cover, both cosmetic.

Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

My '14 Sport...
    (I only pop on the bags if I'm going on a trip. Local ramblings, I just go naked!)

Business comes first, riding comes always. One puts bread on the table, the other eats all the bread. Oh well, I'm riding happy!

Gt

Top Speed:

I am also considering the GT. For those who made the switch, do you find the GT top heavy? How is the cornering? Sorry for the last question, but is the mileage of the GT substantially worse than the RT?

Thanks!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KBell50 View Post
    Top Speed:

I am also considering the GT. For those who made the switch, do you find the GT top heavy? How is the cornering? Sorry for the last question, but is the mileage of the GT substantially worse than the RT?

Thanks!

Ken
    Mileage is very good (mid 40's). Less top heavy than my FJR. Cornering is native for this machine, built for it.

Quote Originally Posted by roborider View Post
    I would not recommend riding an RT, GT, or 16 without the bags for two reasons (I think it looks good w/o bags).

1) If you low side, the bag takes a beating, but it holds the bike up. I've seen RTs, GTs, and 16GTLs lowsided many times, and the bike comes out with little damage. The vast majority is to the bag, and it is all cosmetic. Fix it or leave it, but the bike is able to ride away. The bad is designed to protect the bike. Remove it and your low side damage will be much more costly and likely disable the machine.

2) As above, the bag keeps the frame off the ground. This allows you to have a "safety pocket" to separate from the bike. You are likely on a low side to get up, brush off, and get back on the bike and go. Remove the bag and you will have 600+ pounds of German steel, aluminum, and plastic grinding your ankle and leg into the asphalt.

Whether it looks good is debatable, but it is not a smart idea to ride that way.

Here's my bike after about a 30 foot slide on asphalt. The blue tape marks the damage to the side case and the valve cover, both cosmetic.
    I understand your unfortunate tested recommendation. But in my opinion it seems like a negative way to ride around with that mindset. I think purchasing crash bars may be a better way to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Speed1 View Post
    My '14 Sport...
    (I only pop on the bags if I'm going on a trip. Local ramblings, I just go naked!)
    I think it looks great with the bags off! Nice sporty look
    "Are you living life the way you were meant to, or how you have been led to think you are supposed to?"
    1989 Yamaha FZR 400 Racebike (r.i.p.), 2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold), 1983 custom naked Honda Goldwing, 2015 BMW R1200RT (on order)