Thread: Picking up a Tip-Over-K1600GT

Picking up a Tip-Over-K1600GT

Without any embarassing admissions on my part here, l am getting tired of my smirking neighbors asking if anybody is under the bike in my driveway. This has been going on for a week, and I am starting to become concerned that my wife will eventually throw out her back trying to right it. Her poor old bones are starting to become bit frail.

Has anyone firgured out how one person can pick up one of these top heavy monsters. At least with the H-D Electra Glide the floor board or mufflers kept it from going all the way down, so it could be righted fairly easily.

On You Tube there are several videos on how to lift a large motorcycle that is taking a nap. I see nothing specific to the K1600, but the techniques all look similar and will likely transfer to lifting the K1600. Several videos use a woman as the demonstrator. Getting assistance whenever possible is always the best course of action.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Thanks Kevin,

I don't believe any of those bikes go over as far as the 1600. Seems like once it goes more than 3/4 of the way you have almost the full weight to pick up. Probably the best answer is to get a bigger wife, but then, who knew.

Registered marching ant Antaeas's Avatar
    > ... Has anyone firgured out how one person can pick up one of these top heavy monsters.[?]

I always carry at least one tie-down strap. It's a handy way to ratchet up your bike without dropping it on yourself (done that, too). A big come-along will scratch something that a nylon tie-down won't. A tie-down is better kept in a top case or tank bag, because the butter-first rule applies to side cases when tip-overs occur. If you don't have a handy guardrail or tree, belay the tie-down to a trailer hitch.

One time I tipped my RT over in Nova Scotia and a family of five stopped right away to help. Another time in Tennessee, I was helped instantly by two guys in a Ram pickup. I never got to call AAA in either case. You could always do that, I suppose.
    Antaeas

2005 R1200RT (Artie)

"Can I move? I'm better when I move." - Sundance Kid (by Wm. Goldman)

Quote Originally Posted by tomkennedy View Post
    ... Has anyone firgured out how one person can pick up one of these top heavy monsters. At least with the H-D Electra Glide the floor board or mufflers kept it from going all the way down, so it could be righted fairly easily.
    I saw a demo once by some police department rep that appeared awfully neat. Seemed to be different from the common back-to-the-fallen-bike-and-walk-backwards technique. This different technique involved turning the handlebars in the opposite direction so the wheel and tire point up at the sky. Then a single person holds the front brake and simply steps forward and the bike sort of magically rolls upright. Looked so easy that I was suspicious ... but it worked.

Disclaimer: I never tried this and it likely involves much more than my above description. Perhaps you can find a video on Youtube.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

If you have the BMW engine protection bars on it and do a parking lot/stationary drop, it'll very likely tip over the pivot point on the bars and rest on it's side. From that position, it doesn't take a lot of effort to get it back up over that pivot point where it's resting on the guard. Then, it's just a conventional lift: turn around and squat with your lower back against the edge of the seat and, holding the bar end and the rear grab rail, lift with your legs while pushing up and back. Just don't get over zealous and flip it on the other side.

Been there, done that, both sides.
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

Ditto
    Marty
    K1600GTL
    F700GS
    IBA #42016