Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 500 cc Harley?

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Smile

Necessary.

The H-D "Riders Edge" program (MSF-approved rider training) is BIG business for Harley.

Most states limit training motorcycles by statute to "499 cc or less."

With Buell's out of the picture, they need a replacement bike - unlikely they would use a Japanese product.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

The bike was as a result of H-D's move into the India market and expansion in Asia. The fact they are bringing it back to the U.S. is interesting for the reasons Kevin points out but also for how future production of sub assemblies might work out.

On the BMW front there is growing talk of BMW partners in the India market developing models that could find their way back to markets like the US.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

HD used to make 125 cc and 165 cc 2-stroke bikes back in the '50s and '60s. I think they were made by some other company and branded H-D.

My older brother had a 165 cc when I was about 10 years old that he bought used for $65 ... that was the bike that got me my first traffic ticket riding it when I was 11. Cop thought I was too short to be old enough to have a license.

This is a pic of one beautifully restored:

Now: '12 R1200RT Midnight Blue Metallic / '11 Ural Patrol 2WD ridden to Alaska / '09 KLR 650 / '05 HD Heritage Softail / '08 Harley Sportster 1200C / '85 Yamaha VMax bought new. I wasn't ready to say goodbye: www.shaunlunt.typepad.com

JoeDabbs
    All the allies had their go at the DKW two-stroke design that was "lifted" through war reparations...
    Joe Dabbs
    2011 RT
    1975 R60/6

I find it interesting and curious too, that the new HD Dark Custom 750 and 500 look almost identical. Strange marketing if you ask me. one should be very different from the other in my opinion.

The bikes also look very "Honda Shadow" like, meaning Shadows from the late 80's. Guess Harley only knows what it sees as the market. I got an email from Harley announcing their new bikes:

http://street.harley-davidson.com/?s...ent&camp_id=16
    Get trained! The best "performance" upgrade you can get is YOU. Visit msf-usa.org for training info.

BruceRT

Too heavy

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Necessary.

The H-D "Riders Edge" program (MSF-approved rider training) is BIG business for Harley.

Most states limit training motorcycles by statute to "499 cc or less."

With Buell's out of the picture, they need a replacement bike - unlikely they would use a Japanese product.
    In my state, a training bike must be under 500cc, weigh less than 400 pounds, and have a seat low enough to accommodate the rider. This 500 Harley weighs 480 pounds. They would have to get the state to change their rules.
    Bruce
    2005 R1200RT (It's new to me!)
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you are not continuously learning, you are slowly getting bored.

At least they use screw adjusters on the valves - good on 'em for that.

Hum......

Marketing-wise it's probably a good idea. Not sure how about all those guys who think an 883 Sportster is a "girl's bike".
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

The Bloomberg version of this story had an interesting line......

"For most of its 110-year history, Harley sold motorcycles as fast as it could to customers it knew well: wealthy, middle-aged American white men. "

Now, how can you be really "Bad-a$$" when you're a "wealthy, middle-aged American white men"? I think it will take more than a few tattoos and a dime store beanie helmet.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...ght-bikes.html
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Yeah this is no surprise, nor is it a surprise that anyone would want to capitalize on a market as big and fat as India (or China for that matter). IMO it shows strong market savvy in this regard, not to mention the entry-level & sales potential (as mentioned previously) of bringing these new bikes to the USA. No doubt the "rugged individualist/weekend pirate" types

(not that there's anything wrong with that )

are gonna huff and puff...

But a whole other level and generation of people are going to be brought into the fold- thus securing brand loyalty & setting the table for future buyers of their bigger, more expensive bikes. Again, smart move.

Not to say I'd ever consider one. I'm thinking Road King, MAYBE... someday. For now, I'm quite content with my BMW Sport-Tourers, and my Norton.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    No doubt the "rugged individualist/weekend pirate" types

(not that there's anything wrong with that )

are gonna huff and puff...

But a whole other level and generation of people are going to be brought into the fold
    Oh, I can see it loud and clearly now, that new ad: "You meet the nicest people on a Harley".
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

BMW Riders Don't Wanna Here This, But ...

I have noticed similarities between BMW riders and Harley riders. I think their personalities are basically the same, Harley riders are fiercely loyal to their brand, have chrome and black leather and fringe. BMW riders are fiercely loyal to their brand, have electronic doo-dads and Gore-Tex. Same personality (addictive, perhaps?), just expressed differently.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I have noticed similarities between BMW riders and Harley riders. I think their personalities are basically the same, Harley riders are fiercely loyal to their brand, have chrome and black leather and fringe. BMW riders are fiercely loyal to their brand, have electronic doo-dads and Gore-Tex. Same personality (addictive, perhaps?), just expressed differently.
    It was best expressed by the guy or gal said or wrote about saying to a Harley rider. "We're a lot alike except you guys dress like pirates and we dress like armadillos.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves