Thread: 2009 R1200R and BMW LED tail light

2009 R1200R and BMW LED tail light

Installed BMW LED tail light part number 63.21.8.526.958 with wiring harness on my 2009 R1200R and the computer now shows a lamp fault. Is there any way to reset the computer to delete the fault without taking the machine to the dealer? At the time of purchase I was told this tail light was compatible with this machine's can bus.

The dealer can do it using the shop's BMW computer, or an owner can do it using the GS-911
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

This is a bit of an odd issue. Assuming you installed the proper accessory lamp part number (there is more than 1) and the proper harness connector there shouldn't be a code there- unless you activated the tail lamps during the install with something disconnected.
    In the latter case the computer reset will permanently remove the code. If there is some other reason it will come back after a reset.

I've put these on several models and none has ever thrown a code.

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    This is a bit of an odd issue. Assuming you installed the proper accessory lamp part number (there is more than 1) and the proper harness connector there shouldn't be a code there- unless you activated the tail lamps during the install with something disconnected.
    In the latter case the computer reset will permanently remove the code. If there is some other reason it will come back after a reset.

I've put these on several models and none has ever thrown a code.
    Actually - the warning for a bulb out doesn't require any reset to clear - all it requires is a working bulb next time the bike is started. I believe one of the LED light setups had a load resistor across the LED to simulate the draw of an incandescent bulb so the ZFE thought everything was OK..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

The factory LED accessory lamp- if the right one and properly installed- has everything it needs to throw no codes and shows nothing on the display either.

Of course if that part number is a normal bulb tail lamp, my comment is NA- all it has to do is work as you note
    Last edited by racer7; 11-05-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Check out this thread: http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19685 on an OEM LED tail light retrofit. I did it on my 2009 R1200R.

Fairly sure you'll need the dealer computer to clear the lamp error. Don't think the gs911 will fix.
    Bill Webster
    2013 K 1600 GT
    2009 R 1200 R alumnus